Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #166
CBVRacing
CBVRacing

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBo1 View Post
It looks like a segment of the heel has been pulled out by the tendons but has finished up only about 3mm displaced. The surgeon thought maybe he could put a screw in to relocate it but after getting the CAT scan done he decided it should heal okay as it is. Good news.

Now the bad news. Well, I am scheduled for an operation on my right hand tomorrow (Friday) afternoon. Now that the swelling is reducing it is clear that the finger is misaligned with the others, indicating the displaced status of the fracture. The scan shows a section of bone that has detached from the knuckle. It looks like the knuckle has compressed back and to the right and the finger is about 5 or 6mm shorter. The surgeon will try and reattach the flake of bone and get everything back into alignment. The real risk for my immediate future (Dakar) is whether he has to cut and then reattach a tendon to manage the repair.

Ciao
John B
JB -- my advice since this is your first Dakar, ask for a refund from ASO asap. You have not given up, simply postponed it ok? The amount of stress you are going to put your body through, and the short time you have to heal given type of injuries will result in not a pretty picture either way.

(1) you hammer through out of pride, empty the wallet, and go for it. If you finish and cross the finish line you are going to deal with lingering pain or stress further what you have.

(2) you still enter the race, but have to pull out to due re-injuring the same thing or because you try to deal with pain, your mind will not be 100% there. The heel is what I see the biggest problem as you will have to re-balance how you ride the bike. You will crash during the Dakar, no doubt about it, but crashing when not being 100% is not your best option.

(3) wait to decide, but then ASO might not refund you the max amount, given the fantastic exchange rate to the Australian $ it is a big hole.

(4) park the pride and park the bike, heal properly, and enter the 2015 Edition. To me this is the wise decision -- besides my little finger tells me it will be much better than 2014 in terms of route.

fyi, I have hardly ridden 3 months before any Dakar, if I do it is purely for technique, I leave the physical training to be done outside the bike.

Keep us informed and let your body heal properly.
CBVRacing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #167
richarde
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Ouch. When I saw the pic of your arm and leg in plaster I thought maybe they had set them already, but sounds like your injuries are a bit more complicated than that.

Good news on the foot - I'm assuming no weight-bearing means you can still use crutches, but then given the hand injury you probably won't be able to use crutches for a while anyway.

The hand sounds a bit more messy. Good luck with the surgery, with private health insurance you shouldn't have to wait too long at least. Let me know if you get too bored in hospital and would like another visitor, or if you need anything

Richard
richarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:49 AM   #168
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,746
Just a quick update. I had the surgery on my hand a few hours ago. It seems the fracture was much worse than thought and I am staying in hospital overnight. The hand is now in plaster so not sure how I'll get about given the need to keep weight off the foot too.
More tomorrow, as I'm very tired now.
Ciao
#101 Dakar 2015, Kiwi Safari Team, Perth, WA
KTM 450 Rally ... Dakar ready
KTM 530 EXC-R
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:08 AM   #169
gagnaou
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Quote:
Just a quick update. I had the surgery on my hand a few hours ago. It seems the fracture was much worse than thought and I am staying in hospital overnight. The hand is now in plaster so not sure how I'll get about given the need to keep weight off the foot too.
Ciao

Ouch, those are not fun times, take your time to recover well.

501 FE Husaberg
1190 KTM adventure R
gagnaou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:34 AM   #170
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 2,023
Quote:
Ciao

Take care of the injuries and get some rest JayB, Give it some time and do not rush things because of the race. Let it heal and then follow its progress to see how it goes...

CBV has some great options in his post I guess you will know more about the injuries as time goes by and they heal...

All the best for a speedy recovery John
Old 09-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #171
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,761
Riding safari experience I have none of, getting over broken bones from crashing bikes I'm very familiar with...one thing I have learnt is don't rush it or try and over do it. The body is amazing at repairing its self...things can look a whole lot better in 4-6 weeks.

On a positive note: getting past this set-back could give you that extra bit of mental preparation to help on the tough Dakar stages and get you over the finish line!

We're all behind you Jaybo and praying for your speedy recovery!

All the best

Night Falcon
Old 09-29-2013, 07:02 PM   #172
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,755
H

Thats true. Your fitness level is really high so four weeks can really do amazing things. January is a ways away despite being right around the corner, haha, so hopefully a positive attitude will shave a month off of any recovery.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:58 AM   #173
bend27
by hook or by crook

Oddometer: 1,176
any updates?
bend27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #174
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bend27 View Post
any updates?
I have a followup appointment with the surgeon next Monday, so will know more then. I have checked the Dakar rules and I potentially lose my entire entry fee if I withdraw after 1st Oct, but I have notified the ASO and got a friendly response asking me to keep them informed and hope I get better. I'm hoping that worst case is they transfer the entry to 2015, but best case is the surgeon sees no problems with healing and regaining full fitness in the timeframe.

So I'm off work at the moment (which is killing my Dakar budget big time!) as my workplace has only stairway access, even to the bottom level where I work (despite the "access and inclusion policy" meaning they cater for disabled people), but they are going to see about a temporary "hot-desk" in the main building where there is elevator and escalator access. I am sure they will be generous and accommodating to me, as they have always been in the past.

They're even okay with me doing some work from home, but I just need to throw off this bugger of a head cold I managed to pick up on top of all my other issues - probably from the doctors waiting room.

I have the rally bike back in the shed now too, so will get back to my write-up now that I have the Leg 1 roadbook as a memory jogger. (Oh and Dimitri, if you're reading this, I will also be able to download the G-force and temperature data).
KTM 530 EXC-R
Old 10-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #175
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 2,023
Hi J.

I think you should invite people from work at home so you are all eventually move at your place to work
I wish all it goes well ad you heal in time for Dak. our body is an amazing piece of engineering, one that will heal very fast given the time and the correct ''fuel''.

Accelerometer data and temp to my Aurora account . Cheers for that

Till later,
D.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:29 AM   #176
ROKIT_71
Gone Orange

Oddometer: 219
Hey John,

Not sure if there are any in Perth but hyperbaric chamber therapy is a genuine way to heal quickly.

I had a crash 6 weeks before safari last year and did some muscle damage and was told 6 - 8 weeks recovery time. After 2 x 2 hr secessions I was back doing light gym training within a week and back to full gas in 3 weeks.

It works really well on healing broken bones etc.

Just Google it.

You can but them from the states also. http://www.healingdives.com/1901.html

If you check out the link, look under professional athletes and check out which famous off-road motorbike racer is mentioned!

Wishing you a speedy and successful recovery.
ROKIT_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:24 AM   #177
Muecke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
I got a nice big box delivered from Italy today:

Let's see what's inside then:

Where did you buy the parts in Italy?
Muecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #178
KTRMN8R
Sand Camel

Oddometer: 1,213
Sorry to hear of your injuries Sir. May the Lord bless & heal ya in His perfect time.

Godspeed friend,

Sean

God Bless & Godspeed!
KTRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:16 AM   #179
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,673
JB - whats the update. Your a prolific poster and the lack has us concerned??
Old 10-08-2013, 07:30 AM   #180
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hey everyone. The "prolific poster" is on-line! Now able to type with 2 fingers again - was down to one finger and one thumb, but the thumb trick was only until the cast got too heavy to swing around.

I've been quiet for many reasons. I'm finding it difficult to get my head sorted and thinking consistently. I was hinging everything on what the surgeon was going to say and prepared myself for the worst. When I told him I was entered in the Dakar Rally in January his response took me by surprise ... "No problem with that. You'll be right."

So what he had to say about the surgery was that things looked quite bad when he opened it up but when he pulled the finger and knuckle into place the separated piece of bone popped into place nicely. He screwed a plate over that to hold it in place and everything was lined up nicely, just with a gap of around 5mm in the bone. So he filled that with some foam to encourage blood to clot in the gap. He says the plate will hold everything in place until the bone grows through the foam and blood clot and everything should be good as new. There is a possibility that one day the plate might need to be removed, but not unless it causes issues further down the track with movement or other complications.

So the foot now lives in a "moon-boot", and will have to stay in this for about 4 weeks yet. It is "non weight bearing" so I have to get around on crutches, at least for the next 2 weeks. Then I see the surgeon again for a review at which time I hope to escape the moon-boot for short periods to start some exercises and get some movement going. I can't rush this aspect because the bone must heal before I stress the tendons or they will simply tear the bone out again. So this is the moon-boot ...:

... and this is the foot at the 2.5 week mark:

As the surgeon was happy with the hand he cut the plaster half-cast off and sent me to the Hand Therapy team to be fitted up with a hand splint. It was here that they peeled the steri-strips off to get a look at the actual incision wound. There are disolvable stitches at each end and steri-strips in the middle to hold the cut together. Unfortunately the wound had not yet healed so they put new steri-strips on and I have to continue to cover it up in the shower. This is the hand in the splint ...:

... and the palm side:

The wound is under the steri-strips:

So I visit the therapy team again next week to get another splint made as they expect the swelling to have reduced further with the exercises I am doing. Then the splint will have to be on for about 4 weeks other than time off to do the exercises.

So it looks like about 4 weeks from now I should be able to start getting movement in the foot and hand and start getting some strength going again. That gives me about 4 or 5 weeks to get strong and fit, so I can pass the stress EKG, Heart function ultrasound and the medical fitness tests. Tight ... very tight!

Another problem is that I have been incapacitated such that I haven't been able to pick up my spare engine or crate up my spare wheels and tyres and get all those sent to Le Havre to catch the ASO boat. This means I will now either have to airfreight them or ship them direct to the service team in Chile and get them to sort out the import receiving and then transporting it to Argentina.

So I'm waiting to hear from the ASO as to where I stand with my entry and whether I can defer to Dakar 2015. That would seem to be the most sensible decision, although it will break my heart. The final issue for me is that the (unbudgetted) medical bills have stacked up and sponsorship income is very, very, very light on. Maybe another year will allow me to recover, both physically and financially? Major blow if that's how it has to work out though. I'm still fighting it.

More when i hear from the ASO.
Ciao
John B
KTM 530 EXC-R