Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2013, 07:46 AM   #181
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,343
Well, the news is good! Man- the stress of the rally has already begun! I hope it gets smoother sailing, but i would cheer for you just as much in 2015.

Good luck and best wishes
Old 10-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #182
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,990
Well John - What I can say is you have a bloody good doc.

You're doing amazingly well, all things considered.

Don't stress too much about things, they will be what they will be. Pretty much out of your hands right now.

Are there no supporters/adv'rs nearby who can help you sort out your tyres and stuff?
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:48 AM   #183
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,697
Dakar update

It is with a very heavy heart that I have decided to withdraw my entry for the Dakar 2014. I believe this decision is the right thing to do to enable me to heal and regain my fitness and then complete the Dakar in 2015. I am very, very much hoping that the ASO will defer my entry to the Dakar 2015 and that my service crew entry will be reimbursed to me by the service team - otherwise I'm out of pocket by around AU$30k which might impact on hopes to try again in 2015. This has been done before for other competitors (the former anyway) that have had an injury in the last months prior to previous editions, on medical grounds.

I am bitterly disappointed and the decision has been a very, very difficult one. I would like to express my thanks to all the supporters that were rooting for me and hope I can do you all proud in January 2015 instead.

On the subject of the status of my injuries:
The hand;
I saw the Hand Therapist this morning and things are looking okay there. The swelling is still significant and hasn't really reduced much since last week, so I persist with the same moulded splint. (It had been planned to remould the shape to account for the expected swelling reduction). The swelling is rock hard, like the surgeon poured concrete into my hand, not a squishy swelling I expected. The incision wound has almost scarred over but is still weeping slightly from one part, and this means I have to continue with a dressing to prevent infection.

I have a return visit on Thursday to check for infection and then we can start scar massage to ensure the internal scarring doesn't impact on the tendon movement. The therapist was impressed with the range of movement I have already achieved. Interestingly, she mentioned that the surgeon had requested the exercises to start far earlier (1 week after surgery) than would be normal (3 - 4 weeks after surgery). That was due to my telling the surgeon I was very keen to race the Dakar in January!

The foot;
The leg still lives in a moon-boot (mostly) and I still have to get around on crutches (mostly). The swelling is still significant but is reducing, albeit quite slowly now. The calf muscle often aches like you wouldn't believe - one of the disadvantages of being a road cyclist with strong leg muscles is that the muscle wasting is significant and painful.

I am back at work (1 1/2 days last week and trying for most of the week this week), so that gets the budget in the right direction for Dakar 2015.

That's it for me then - just another Dakar spectator.
KTM 530 EXC-R (R for Rally, right!!) ... or Retired or Redundant
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #184
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Commisserations, John, but like I said in the bivouac, probably a wise decision there. Imagine pushing on and then struggling in the Dakar and having to pull out on Day 5 or something, or worse just crashing because of fitness.

Thinking back to Jonah's one rally (was it 2011?) when he had to stop even though he was doing well because his injury was too much in the Dakar. I'm still cheering you on for the 2015 Who knows? - Its too early for me to say but I would give an eye to be in the Dakar 2015. Maybe we will be there together.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:45 AM   #185
Gimme 2
Team slo ass

Oddometer: 1,969
A bitter and hard reality for you John. This rallye racing holds some gravity!
I respect your decision.
You can atleast rest on the condolence of how much better your prep will be for 2015. More testing ,spares, training,sponsership and dollars.

Heal well!!
Gimme 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:11 AM   #186
CBVRacing
CBVRacing

Oddometer: 485
JB, I am glad you went with the wise option 4, twelve months go by very fast and before you know it you will be on that start podium with the machete in between your teeth (forget the knife).

I'll be giving Mark D. some preps, so the offer is on the table for you or anyone wanting to do the Dakar ok? Pls don't hesitate.

Time to relax now, heal properly...and get very hungry for 2015!
Join Dream Racer on Facebook
CBVRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:33 AM   #187
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,959
I know you must be gutted John, but that seems to be the right way. You have to go there full fit, otherwise you risk just too much... As CBVRacing said 12 months is no time, heal well, hunt sponsors and you will be in a better position overall to run Dak in 2015. Just next year do not do the Safari

You just have 12 more months to check on the competition
Heal well and heal fast, and will try my best to keep up and support you all the way in 2014

Till later,
D.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:15 AM   #188
richarde
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Sorry to hear John. I agree with those guys ^ though - although it must by terribly disappointing, it is better to hold off a bit and give it a good go next year at full fitness.

I'll come by your desk tomorrow to compare battle scars.
richarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:19 AM   #189
gagnaou
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,321
Tough decision for sure! Like it was said, probably the best for the odds of finishing. WE'll be rooting for you in 2015!

501 FE Husaberg
1190 KTM adventure R
gagnaou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:42 AM   #190
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,750
Sorry to hear but the right decision indeed!

Good luck on the total recovery!
Old 10-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #191
bend27
by hook or by crook

Oddometer: 1,165
Thumb

What they said, best decision for sure. We are all behind you, all the best for 2015! Fresh start
bend27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #192
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,697
I have today had confirmation from the ASO that they will defer my entry to 2015 Dakar, as long as I pay the final instalment of 4.800Euro by the end of this month.

They have also stated they are unable to refund the Service Crew entry of 8.700Euro (AU$12,300) so that's either down the gurgler or Ben will have to have a holiday to service an invisible bike.
KTM 530 EXC-R (R for Rally, right!!) ... or Retired or Redundant
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #193
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBo1 View Post
I have today had confirmation from the ASO that they will defer my entry to 2015 Dakar, as long as I pay the final instalment of 4.800Euro by the end of this month.

They have also stated they are unable to refund the Service Crew entry of 8.700Euro (AU$12,300) so that's either down the gurgler or Ben will have to have a holiday to service an invisible bike.
Those fractures are becoming expensive
Will medical insurance cover that? It is in a round about way a cost incured due to the injury.
Aquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #194
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Man that is bittersweet news.

Bastids!
Old 10-17-2013, 04:15 AM   #195
Gany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Bitter sweet indeed... Perhaps ask around (assuming the service crew entry is transferable). Perhaps an enthusiast would be interested in tagging along for the adventure a bit like Deadly did with the RMS crew? Even if you recover some of the cost it would be better than nothing?

Speedy recovery Jaybo and get back on the horse!
Gany is offline   Reply With Quote