Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2013, 01:53 AM   #76
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by topo View Post
Just spoke to Jaybo and received some great news from my own personal sponsor (you know who you are) so it looks like the KiwiSafariTeam really is now well and trully the KiwiDakarTeam
Yep! (Of course, it's the KiwiDakarTeam with 100% Australian sponsorship so far - your personal "secret" sponsor notwithstanding).

Hopefully there's some more good news coming in the next few days, so keep watching this space.
KTM 530 EXC-R (R for Rally, right!!) ... or Retired or Redundant
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:55 AM   #77
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

So if there's this many pieces on the floor ...

... then there can't be many pieces left on the bike??
Nope, I guess there isn't!

The first team Media Release is not far off heading to the media. I'll post a copy of it on here, of course, as soon as it's released.

Also the sponsorship proposal is drafted and sitting with the comm's advisor, so should get out pretty soon. At this stage it only covers the big dollar packages. The lower cost (note, not lower value!!) "Supporter's Pack" details will be along as soon as I can get a swag pack of goodies organised with some sponsors.

Other than that, not too much to report today. I am waiting for some good news that I'll hopefully be able to share in the next day or two.

Cheers
Old 07-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #78
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,989
hey hey! Stu just turned me onto this thread, I wanted to say hi and make sure you had my moral support, if nothing else!

Thats me behind you shouting Go Go Go
Old 07-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #79
sequent
South Australia's own....

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
hey hey! Stu just turned me onto this thread, I wanted to say hi and make sure you had my moral support, if nothing else!

Isn't that you behind him riding your BMW into a cattle grid???
Old 07-30-2013, 09:30 PM   #80
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequent View Post
Isn't that you behind him riding your BMW into a cattle grid???
Go Go GUghhh
Old 07-31-2013, 05:36 AM   #81
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post

Hey Jason. Welcome. How's life in the States treating you? When are you coming back to put what you learned the first time into action? I'll try and save a bike for you ... no, not the 450RFR. Nice to have your support. With a winner of the Andy Caldecott award behind me, nothing will stop me!
Old 08-04-2013, 05:40 AM   #82
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hey all. A brief update tonight. The media release should be reviewed tomorrow. There was a slight holdup in getting it looked at. Same goes for the sponsorship proposal. Can't really complain when the person is volunteering her time and just started maternity leave.

The 450RFR suspension gets dropped off at Dynotime for some magic wand waving tomorrow. I'm uprating the fork springs from .48 to .50 to try and get the front end to hold up a little better. I haven't bothered previously because it's only noticeable in soft sand that the front drops a bit much and then it turns in a little harshly. I have had to uprate fork springs in almost every bike I have ever ridden - including road bikes. Must be something about my riding style.

I haven't done too much more on the 450RFR but I have hit the panic button on the 530. There's a possibility that someone else will be using it for the Australasian Safari, so I have had to start converting it from Enduro mode back into Rallye mode. The last time the rally kit was used was in Abu Dhabi at my ill-fated Desert Challenge in April 2011, apart from my lending the rear fuel tank and subframe to someone for an outback trip a while ago. Now I've got to figure out the wiring again, re-make the connections I cut off, remove the stuff not required for Safari (Sentinel bracket and horn, GPS antennae, etc) and re-fit a dust light. So the 530 is on the bike lift, now that the 450RFR is down to just frame and engine and I could simply lift it and carry it away to a temporary resting place on the floor. (Don't worry, the floor in the shed is carpeted for the bikes!)

More soon.
Ciao
Old 08-04-2013, 05:50 AM   #83
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBo1 View Post
I haven't done too much more on the 450RFR but I have hit the panic button on the 530. There's a possibility that someone else will be using it for the Australasian Safari, so I have had to start converting it from Enduro mode back into Rallye mode. The last time the rally kit was used was in Abu Dhabi at my ill-fated Desert Challenge in April 2011, apart from my lending the rear fuel tank and subframe to someone for an outback trip a while ago. Now I've got to figure out the wiring again, re-make the connections I cut off, remove the stuff not required for Safari (Sentinel bracket and horn, GPS antennae, etc) and re-fit a dust light.
Don't worry, if you can't figure the 530 out you can always consult your own build thread.

Good luck in the Dakar!
michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #84
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

A deal is done!

A brief phone conversation with a guy in Chile and a deal was struck. So, the deal consists of a few aspects:
1) I will be hiring a brand new 450RFR in Chile to race the Dakar.
2) I will be buying a support package from Caballero Rally Service based in Chile.
3) Ben (ADVRider "topo") will become a part of the CRS service team to look after me and my bike.
4) I will now go ahead with my Australasian Safari entry and will ride my 450RFR again, seeing as it will be staying here this year and the rally practice will be very beneficial. I'll be flying under the CPW banner under a basic support package.
5) I will enter the "Dakar Challenge" in the Safari and try for the long shot of a free entry to the Dakar.
6) Rodrigo Caballero will be riding my old Mecasystem 530EXC rally bike in the Safari, with a basic support package from CPW.

So, I'll be a bit busy for the next few weeks as I have to rebuild the 530 and finish rally prepping it, and get the 450RFR back together and ready to race. The good news is though, that I don't have to be concerned with trying to get the 450RFR in a crate and on a boat to Le Havre for the Dakar.

In fact, the deals available for hiring a Dakar bike with full service and support are by far and away the most cost effective way of doing the Dakar.

I'm exceptionally lucky in that I can practice on an identical bike right up until I fly out for Argentina. I can also take over my own Carbon Fibre fairing, Renazco seat, Aurora Rally Equipment Mark1 roadbook and, if I am happy with it after Safari, my front and rear suspension. . All that and having Ben there to look after me and the bike, it's just unbeatable for me.

All looking good for the KiwiDakarTeam!
Old 08-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #85
Karl772
Rally Nut

Oddometer: 26
Thats great news Jaybo
Sounds like you have a rock solid plan and everything is coming together.

I agree with you 100% on that doing Safari is very beneficial for training and dialing in your bike parts to then transport over to South America to fit on the new 450RR.

I believe you having a winning combo here between being familiar with the 450RR, your Safari experience, Ben as your mechanic and being able to dialing in parts like your suspension and then being able to put them on the hire bike so you will feel alot more comfortable on the bike. I have no dought you will finish

I feel like you won't feel as much stress and pressure as well if your more comftable with the bike your riding for 2 weeks.

Good Luck and I guess I will see you at the Safari show in about a months time
Karl772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #86
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,925
Great stuff John, sounds like a very good deal, should work well.

Rodrigo is a great guy and a pretty fine rider and experienced rally racer also, so will be cool to see how he goes in Safari

Old 08-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #87
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBo1 View Post
Hey Jason. Welcome. How's life in the States treating you? When are you coming back to put what you learned the first time into action? I'll try and save a bike for you ... no, not the 450RFR. Nice to have your support. With a winner of the Andy Caldecott award behind me, nothing will stop me!
Alls well in the Great Green North!
Glad you've got it coming along, the rental package certainly takes a great load of hassle off the top.
Good for you that you get to do both the Safari and the DAkar, again!

I would sincerely love to come back and do that again... I might have to wait for Ben to be available I wont be doing an overseas ride this year, but am prepping another airhead for the Baja Rally in October. Its no where near as good as the Rooney bike, but you've got to start somewhere
Old 08-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #88
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,699
Great progress then!

Good luck at the safari!
Old 08-17-2013, 04:30 AM   #89
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariBerg View Post
Great stuff John, sounds like a very good deal, should work well.

Rodrigo is a great guy and a pretty fine rider and experienced rally racer also, so will be cool to see how he goes in Safari

What is it they say about "the best laid plans of mice and men"? Rodrigo has unfortunately had to pass up coming over for the Safari. He has commitments in Europe that he hoped he could take a short break from for the Safari, but this has turned out to not be possible. It's a great shame because it would have been great to see him here. I'll work on a plan for next year for Rodrigo so the early planning should make it a bit more certain.

This means that unfortunately Ben won't be making the pilgrimage across the ditch to help me out, as I can't afford to bring him over just for me. So I'll be doing the Safari almost Malle Moto style, with a logistics support package from CPW Safari. I'll do my own servicing, which with the 450Rally should just mean oil and filters every night and the odd tyre changes. I'll use a bunch of second hand tyres saved from previous Safaris to save some Dakar budget. Not really the way I'd prefer to attack the Dakar Challenge in the Safari, but my budget doesn't stretch to what I'd like, and winning the Dakar Challenge is a bit of a long shot for me anyway so the gamble of spending large on it would be foolish, even though the prize is worth 14,800 Euros!!!

So I managed to re-possess my 530 motor before it got torn down, so that saved me a few bob anyway. It can go back in the frame after Safari and keep going for a while yet. I wonder if it will do 200 hours without ever taking the top off? It's around 120 or 130 hours now and still going well and sounding great.

The good news is that I can stop doing anything on the 530 and get back to concentrating on the 450Rally prep for Safari. I'll post up some photo's tomorrow of the work that's been going on. The new swing-arm went on today, with a new EK 520 'Z' ring drive chain. A new chain guide, swing-arm slider and top and bottom frame guards are (being) fitted. All the swing-arm and suspension linkage bearings got cleaned and re-greased before re-assembly.

I bought the graphic templates for the 450Rally so I can get a full graphics kit custom made. I'll start playing with some ideas and post them up for opinions. I'm pretty happy with the way everything is going. The support from Don at CPW has been fantastic.

Photo's tomorrow, I promise.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:57 AM   #90
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Okay, so I promised photo's for today. Another weekend spent largely in the shed.

I mentioned I got my suspension back from the servicing. Russel Speak at Dynotune in Wangarra did a beautiful job. The forks came back mint, with the .50 springs fitted. You might be able to see the cross-hatching in this piccy where he has nicely honed the finish on the fork stanchions.

I also got the rear shock serviced. No need for anything other than a simple oil and gas service on this one. This allowed me to finally fit the new swing-arm on. (KTM supplied me a replacement swing-arm under warranty, as the original got gouged by the muffler when the muffler brackets broke in the 2011 Safari).

I scored quite a nice table the other day that was being turfed out. It's a nice height for working at standing up and also is sturdy enough to put stuff on. Not sure what the long term plan is going to be but for now I use it to store the "cleaned parts" on top and the "waiting to be cleaned and inspected parts" on the floor beneath.

The "stealth" fairing hiding at the end of the shed. Pete640 did some repair work to the white original fairing that I have to get back to. It needs some filler and a lick of paint.

I also threw the carb and airbox back on. The carby got stripped right down, every part cleaned and then carefully re-assembled.

A brand new EK520 chain supplied by Don at CPW went on. Rivet link, of course! (Don't fret at the sprocket, it's just there to hold the chain. A new one will be fitted!). He tried to pass off one of his "red" chains but I got a Gold one. Do Honda's not make enough power to wear out chains - he had a big stock of red chains! I suppose he could leave them out in the sun for a while and they'd fade to a nice shade of Orange.

I also picked up my rear fuel tank from Pilbara, who borrowed it a while ago to finalise his little project of grafting a 450RFR (or 690E) tank onto the back end of his 690RFR. So I gave that a wipe and chucked it back on where it belongs.

The Acro muffler then bolted back on. Of course, it doesn't look like an Acro does it?

That's better.

The sticker has to go on the muffler when it's warm, and then heated up to operating temp. I couldn't see my wife accepting it in the oven, so it'll have to wait until the electrics are hooked back up and I can run the bike.

So it's getting there. I have an interrupted weekend coming up, as I (was) volunteered as Clerk of Course for the next round of the WA State Enduro Champ's. This means I'll probably leave Saturday evening for the couple of hours drive south and kip out in the roof tent. Be a long day and then the drive home. I probably won't manage to get too much done on Saturday due to a growing backlog of domestic chores. (We lost a fair sized section of the soffit on the house in some heavy rain last week, so I might have to do something about the gaping hole before the wild bees, birds and various lizards decide to investigate new housing/nesting/hiving propositions. The grass in the paddocks is getting blinkin' long too!).

As left for today:

Catch you again soon.
JayBo