Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2013, 07:37 AM   #91
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,794
.50 springs, eh? How much do you and your bike weigh, altogether? Which springs did they replace? I just put .48's in the BM project, and i fear they are still of the soft side, as im tipping scales at +220kgs between the bike and me.

Also: too bad about Ben. He's a valuable teammate and im sure hes as bummed as you are.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:16 AM   #92
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
.50 springs, eh? How much do you and your bike weigh, altogether? Which springs did they replace? I just put .48's in the BM project, and i fear they are still of the soft side, as im tipping scales at +220kgs between the bike and me.

Also: too bad about Ben. He's a valuable teammate and im sure hes as bummed as you are.
They were .48 springs standard. A few weeks after the Safari in 2011, I was out riding with a few mates in the dunes north of Lancelin and had a heck of a time with the front washing out in the soft sand all the time. I actually didn't enjoy the ride at all. Unfortunately I didn't do anything about it, so it was no surprise that I struggled in soft sand during the 2012 Safari. So this year I managed to get some .50 springs that Don had lying around at CPW. I have had to upgrade the fork springs in every bike I have owned to get the front to stand up better in soft sand. I don't mind softer damping, and in the past have even had the shim stack adjusted, but I really like having the front end stay up. It made a HUGE difference to the 640 I had, making it far more stable at high speed. I thought the 450RFR would not benefit as much because it's such a long and stable wheelbase, but I guess I'll find out soon. I guess the 640 is actually a fairly long bike by dirtbike standards. Here's hoping. If it work really well, I might try and take the forks with me to the Dakar, or at least the springs to get them put in the hire bike when I'm there.

The 450RFR is 136kg's dry weight, takes 36 litres of fuel and I weigh about 102kg fully kitted in rally racing kit, with 2 litres of water in my camelpak and a bum bag of tools. That's a total of 267kg fully fuelled on the start line. The thing for me though is I want the bike stable at 160kph along the sandy fence line sections and not tucking the front at 20kph in turns in the soft sand sections. I have the high speed stability I need, now just need to stop falling over at walking pace!

Actually it was tough for Ben to make it for Safari, so I think there's an element of relief (at least from his wife!). Although it would be great to have Ben across here for the Safari, I did feel guilty at tearing him away from his bub, wife and work. He still has the Dakar to look forward to, and that'll be a HUGE adventure for him.
#101 Dakar 2015, Kiwi Safari Team, Perth, WA
KTM 450 Rally ... Dakar ready
KTM 530 EXC-R
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:20 AM   #93
stevecollie
Desert Racer

Oddometer: 42
Go Team Kiwi

Great to see the Team Kiwi effort coming together and the rental package will take a lot of the stress out of the next few months leading up to January.

Hope to see you on the start line there in Argentina.
stevecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:18 AM   #94
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:

Yeah bit of a bummer but there'll be other rally's after the Dakar, reckon you and seth need to make the trip back over in 2014

GO BRO GO.......
topo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:20 AM   #95
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by topo View Post
Yeah bit of a bummer but there'll be other rally's after the Dakar, reckon you and seth need to make the trip back over in 2014
I was full of mistakes and mis reads. I thought i read you couldnt make Dakar. Not Safari, but for you to have it the other way is surely a better deal!

Also, when i said my bike was 220kgs, i was off by a Lot lesson: dont try to be suave in metric. I too, am up around 600 pounds at the startline, but i'll only have 4 gallons or so of fuel.

I reckon you guys are going to have a great time, and do well
Old 08-28-2013, 06:48 AM   #96
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

More busy days under the belt. I got a message in the weekend that my Renazco Racing doctored seat would be picked up from Renazco's place in the USA for mailing to me on Monday. Imagine my surprise when this box arrived with the mailman today (Wednesday) here in Perth, Western Australia. It looks big enough to fit a KTM Rally seat into!

Sure enough:

Beautiful!

Definitely another Renazco Racing masterpiece!!

Welcome to your new home.

I've also been busy with the rear wheel and appendages:

Cleaned up cush drive hub with freshly siliconed rubbers:

Cleaned and measured the rear disk. All okay and ready to go back on.

New sprocket and cleaned up bolts ready for Loctite and refitting.

Freshly painted spokes and trued up wheel. (I completely dismantled the wheel, wire buffed each spoke and nipple, primered, painted, clearcoated and reassembled. Trued it up tonight - tricky with the number of dings in it. Memo to self: slow down for the big rocks!

So a big thanks to James Renazco for the fabulous seat - really made my day/week/month/year!

A thanks to Causeway KTM for the HardParts rear sprocket too.

I'll also have an announcement about another sponsor tomorrow that will see me looking sweet on the start line at the Safari and the Dakar.

Ciao
JayBo
KTM 530 EXC-R
Old 08-28-2013, 02:08 PM   #97
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,766
Looks like ya plans are coming along nicely Jay-Bro. Are you planning on putting together supporters packages and if so do you have a handle on what they will be worth?
Old 08-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #98
matheas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
+1
matheas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:11 AM   #99
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks people. I'm trying to get the wife interested in sorting out the support packages because between working more than full time, prepping the bike for the Safari and sorting out Dakar service and logistics, I simply can't make any headway with it. She's just finished a course of study and also just finished a crafty project she's been working on, so I'm really hopeful she can start sorting it out.
Keep checking in here though, because is the first place you'll see a supporters pack when they do get sorted.

Ciao
JayBo
KTM 530 EXC-R
Old 08-30-2013, 05:19 AM   #100
tileman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
450 exhaust

Hiya Jaybo. Great to see that you've got things going with the package that you've organised. +1 re support etc once done.

Since you are prepping the bike for the Safari from what I can gather is it possible for you to measure the exhaust diameter (OD) along the bottom section as per the attached pic?

Got a plan thats all
Old 08-30-2013, 06:15 AM   #101
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tileman View Post
Hiya Jaybo. Great to see that you've got things going with the package that you've organised. +1 re support etc once done.

Since you are prepping the bike for the Safari from what I can gather is it possible for you to measure the exhaust diameter (OD) along the bottom section as per the attached pic?

Got a plan thats all
No sweat mate. I have been asked the same question before so already have a sketch with the dimensions sitting right here:

So ... what's your cunning plan?
KTM 530 EXC-R
Old 08-30-2013, 06:27 AM   #102
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Check it out - the competition! 9 entries to the Moto Dakar Challenge at the Australasian Safari. That's 8 people behind me.
Dakar Challenge entries
- One won't be a problem at all because Ryan (the 'merican) is borrowing my fuel jerries ... the ones that may or may not have sugar in them. (Will Oracle win the America's Cup?)
- I kind of hope Shane Diener wins it because he either rides at the pointy end of Safaris or crashes BIG TIME. (Remember the year he crashed his Kwaka so hard after hitting a 'roo that he tore the frame in two!). I'd really rather he didn't crash big time this year, so here's hoping for you Shane.
- I certainly can't hope for anything bad to happen to Ben Young, being another ADVRider inmate, so hope you have a good ride mate ... just behind me that's all.
- The others I don't think I've come across before, so we'll see how we all go. I'll try not to create too much dust for you all back there.

Ciao
JayBo
KTM 530 EXC-R
Old 08-30-2013, 07:15 AM   #103
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Who is the American?
Old 08-30-2013, 07:48 AM   #104
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Who is the American?
Ryan Wallace (USA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australasian Safari web site
Dakar dreams: Dakar Challenge entry update

Date: 30-Aug-2013

Aiming not only to finish but to take home free entry into Dakar 2014 will be the goal of nine Moto category and two Auto category competitors at this year’s Australasian Safari.

The Australasian Safari has once again been named as one of five premier off-road motorsport events worldwide to host the Dakar Challenge, giving one amateur Moto rider and Auto team free entry into the world’s toughest off-road event.

Amongst the Dakar hopefuls is Moto competitor Ryan Wallace from the USA.

“I first learnt about the Dakar rally while travelling round Europe in my early 20’s,” said Ryan.

“I was so impressed by the competitor’s determination to finish and their racing abilities - I made it a life goal of mine to enter!” said Ryan.

Ryan has been training with former factory Dakar racer Jimmy Lewis to prepare himself for the Australasian Safari.

“My main focus for Safari is to finish, as it has reputation for being a tough rally. It would be incredible to achieve this and have my family there with me to celebrate.”

Another Moto competitor vying to be Dakar Challenge winner is Western Australian John Bouwknegt (pictured left). John has also had the goal to compete in Dakar since his early 20’s.

“I used to read everything I could on the Dakar Rally and Australasian Safari. I loved the mystery of both events, but it was 20 more years before I actually thought about riding a Safari and another few more for Dakar,” said John.

“For most mere mortals like me it has to be a long-term goal because of the lengthy preparation needed for it.

“Dakar is an adventure beyond all others, and the chance to see South America in such a unique way would be magic.”

Last year, only those competing in Safari’s Moto category were eligible for the Dakar Challenge. In 2013, amateur Auto competitors also have a shot winning a free Dakar entry.

The rivalry between the only two nominated Auto teams will be fierce. Amy Lerner and Tricia Reina from the USA will be competing against Chris May and John Cassidy from Western Australia to win the challenge.

The successful competitors will follow in the footsteps of last year’s Dakar Challenge winner South African Moto rider Brett Cummings.

“The Dakar challenge carries a great amount of publicity at the Dakar itself,” said Brett.

“The winner of the free entry will not only get a great discount on going to Dakar, but they are well and truly looked after at the event.

“The most important thing for competitors to remember at Australasian Safari 2013 is that it’s not over until that chequered flag is waved! Determination wins.”

Dakar Challenge Entry List - Moto

Charlie Ball (NSW)

John Bouwknegt (WA)

Russell Jackson (VIC)

Ryan Wallace (USA)

Hein Eigenhuis (NSW)

Edward Tonkin (WA)

Ben Young (VIC)

Shane Diener (SA)

Rod Colling (NSW)

Dakar Challenge Entry List - Auto

Amy Lerner / Tricia Reina (USA)

Chris May / John Cassidy (WA)

It is a condition of entry into the Dakar Challenge is that entrants must never have participated in the Dakar, nor have finished in the top ten of an FIM all terrain rally.

The Australasian Safari will commence with a Safari Show on Thursday 19 September. Competitors will cross the finish line in Geraldton after seven tough days in the Western Australian outback on Friday 27 September.

The Dakar is a rally raid style off-road endurance race travelling through South America. The route for the 2014 Dakar is yet to be released.

For more information on Australasian Safari visit http://www.australasiansafari.com.au/website/home.html, Facebook https://www.facebook.com/AustralasianSafari and Twitter @austsafari.
(For those that can't be arsed to follow the previous link I provided)
KTM 530 EXC-R
Old 08-30-2013, 08:21 AM   #105
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBo1 View Post
Thanks people. I'm trying to get the wife interested in sorting out the support packages because between working more than full time, prepping the bike for the Safari and sorting out Dakar service and logistics, I simply can't make any headway with it. She's just finished a course of study and also just finished a crafty project she's been working on, so I'm really hopeful she can start sorting it out.
Keep checking in here though, because is the first place you'll see a supporters pack when they do get sorted.

Ciao
JayBo

Try and get the wife interested in cleaning your spokes and sprockets and you'll have loads of time on your hands!

Seriously now, painting and clearcoating the spokes?
tehdutchie is offline   Reply With Quote