Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #121
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,742
Jason, maaate. The plan is to work out how Paypal works and get sorted with payments through that. I also have to sort out postage rates around the planet - I'm a bit blown away by the interest from all over the place. As you know, I'm just your average guy on the street punting along best he can and doing my damnest to pull myself out of the average box so I have a chance of completing the ultimate challenge.

In the mean time, I guess if people PM me with the size Tee Shirt they want and delivery address details, I can sort out a postage cost and by then will have Paypal details for payments. How does that sound? Setting up a website to order things directly is waaay above my pay grade.

I have fitted the Aurora Mk1 roadbook to the 450RFR and it looks like it will be a game changer in the Cross Country Rally world! Mark my words and remember you heard it here first! I still have to sort out my wiring and I have to modify the mount plate a little to suit the dash lights and switches I have, so no photo's for now. Also, the lighting in the shed is shocking and the poor camera's flash wasn't up to the job so the photo's I got are crap. Hopefully tomorrow?? Sorry D.

Okay, you talked me into it. Just one crappy photo with poor light and no dash warning lights or switches fitted and no power to the unit:

Now I'm going to play with loading a scroll chart in the removable cartridge. Nice to be able to do that inside the house with a coffee, leaving the dark, cold and mosquito's out in the shed with the rest of the roadbook. That's one big tick for the Aurora Mk1 already, and I haven't even done anything other than mount it!
#101 Dakar 2015, Kiwi Safari Team, Perth, WA
KTM 450 Rally ... Dakar ready
KTM 530 EXC-R
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:35 AM   #122
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,734
Id be happy to act as a North American distibution center. Maybe it would help to ship one big package, instead of multiple small ones, overseas, and i can drop them in domestic post from here. Dunno if that helps or not, but if it does i'd be happy to help.

A cartridge scroll? That sounds interesting, it will make those scroll changes at service much more efficient as well!
Old 09-10-2013, 08:36 AM   #123
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 2,022

World's first public appearance of Mk I Glad the first impressions are good, looking forward to hearing how it goes during the next couple of days.

It is actually a nice view John (and yes I drink as I type ), did not have a 450RFR to test the view but the width I was worried looks fine. Nice to hear that Mk I does not interfere at full lock

Do NOT worry about pics and stuff yet. Get your time, bolt everything and there will be plenty of time to get pics....
Let me also know if the lighting during the night is ok (remember to turn on the bike lights to simulate night riding ) and see if the brightness is ok. Had to dim them with resistors but with the tricky part that keeps the paper down the whole page is lit as evenly as it gets ...

Till later,
D.

640 Armageddon screwed with this post 09-10-2013 at 08:45 AM
640 Armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #124
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
A cartridge scroll? That sounds interesting, it will make those scroll changes at service much more efficient as well!
Easier like you won't believe!
I've just loaded my very first ever scroll in the cartridge. It took no time at all and was so simple it's not even funny. This thing is cheating! I removed both shafts and taped one end of the scroll to one shaft and then wound the scroll on very quickly - nothing like winding the scroll onto a MD shaft because you can use both hands like rolling a ciggy (not that I've ever smoked ciggys!). I then taped the other end of the scroll onto the other shaft and then fitted the shaft into the cartridge. Done! I then used the big magnet wheel on the end to very, very quickly wind the full scroll from one end to the other, to simulate like I had accidentally put the scroll on the wrong way. Have you ever done that on a MD RB? This took no time at all. This thing is brilliant!

I'll provide a better description with photo's later in the week. Tonight I'm too excited!
KTM 530 EXC-R
Old 09-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #125
Koos
Wheeled Wanderer

Oddometer: 244
I'll have one of them West Aussie red dirt shirts

John

Met you at Francisco's [Gotan] house warming a few months back. We are 5 West Aussies heading to South America in Jan follow the Dakar....as much as we can. The plan is for 21 days on the bikes.

Might bump into you there.

Prep is looking good. Good luck in the Safari.

Koos

DR650....well equipped
The Grey Mare "flying brickette" '96 BMW K75 RT......love that bike!
F 800 GS [Sold] - the bike the GS was always intended to be
Koos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:16 PM   #126
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 3,042
Good luck Jaybo, although we'd have loved to see you in the Dakar on your own 450RFR.

In for a Tee when you have the paypal link up n running.

and that Aurora roll chart holder looks like the deal. Currently reading up and looking into them in detail.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #127
KTRMN8R
Sand Camel

Oddometer: 1,213
Cool2 small world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Hi Sean- How cool to meet (virtually) a hometown guy-
Heck, I think we raced Sandblast together in 2008(94 on the 950).

J,

Look forward to the Shirts.

L8r,

KTRMN8R

God Bless & Godspeed!
KTRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:00 AM   #128
ROKIT_71
Gone Orange

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBo1 View Post
It's a fast moving world now that things are getting closer to race start! Another new sponsor. The mighty 450RFR will be breathing easy with a large complement of air filters from Funnel Web Filters.

I have been supplied with 8 filters for the Safari, which will be used and then bagged for return so they can be dissected for study. I'll then be getting a bunch of them to see me through the Dakar. A great Aussie product doing big things around the world!

I'll have another announcement tomorrow.
Ciao
JayBo
Hey John the funnel web filters are great. We have been using them this year and found them to work as promised. I used them at Condo and no skins needed and just change them once a day.

They guys at funnelmweb were great to deal with and generous with there help and support.
ROKIT_71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:48 PM   #129
gagnaou
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,356
Looking forward to follow you at the Safari on team F5!

501 FE Husaberg
1190 KTM adventure R
gagnaou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #130
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

The big debut

I got the new Aurora Mark1 roadbook unit wired up and tested today. It took a bit longer because I had to make sure the way it's wired will be quickly removable and installable on a bog stock standard 450RFR for when I take the roadbook with me to the Dakar and fit it to the hired bike. So, onto the photos and details:

Firstly, the profile of the bike with the new Mark1 installed.

The overview of the dash. The extra switch next to the ignition toggle switch is for the grip heaters. I heard how cold the early morning starts can be and the crossing of the Andes, so I fitted the same type of grip heaters I have used on both the 640Adv and the 530EXC rally bikes in the past.

At this angle you can clearly see the rubber 'O'-rings that secure the lid down. It's a remarkably simple system and easy to use and allows the front plate to be flat. No complicated curves in the mold of the cover, which should make replacement clear covers much cheaper. (Note that the cover on mine still has the removable protective plastic on it from shipping. There is a small label marked "remove" in the top left corner of the clear cover).

The knobs for manual winding are slightly bigger and feel "nicer" than the Touratech MD roadbook. Not really a big issue as they are very rarely used on the Aurora Mark1 unit as the motor works so well and also it's so easy to spin the scroll through with the cartridge removed. But if there was a failure during a stage, the manual knobs would become useful I guess. Note the Model and Series label at the bottom shows my unit as a "Beta" test model. There will be small differences to the production units, dependent on the testing we're putting it through.

The other side of the unit is fairly plain (absolutely ideal spot for small sponsor stickers). You can see the two cable connections for the Mark1 unit. Very accessible being right at the end and secure connections.

With the clear front cover removed you get direct access to the scroll. Note that if you had to make any changes, like sometimes at the start of a Special Stage they might have changes for you to mark on your roadbook, you can write directly on the scroll as it has a solid clear back plate behind it. This will be a useful feature over the MD roadbook.

Then it's a very simple matter to remove the cartridge itself, leaving behind the motor, drive hubs and LED lighting. This is a completely tool free exercise and takes about 2 seconds!

So in no time at all you have the cover and cartridge out ready for whatever. You can now quickly change the scroll for another by simply changing the scroll spool with a spare one preloaded with the next scroll. Or you can take the cartridge with you to under cover somewhere (out of the blazing sun or pouring rain) to change the scroll, leaving the bike free for others to refill fuel, check things, etc.

So the cartridge supports the two spool shafts that each have a large diameter hub with multiple magnets arranged around them. This is one half of the magnetic coupling for the drive system.

So in the Mark1 unit is the drive motor that is linked to two drive hubs via 'O'-rings. These hubs match the diameter of the hubs on the drive spools. The air gap between the hubs is surprisingly large, and the unit is supplied with a clear plastic tool for checking the gap. The drive torque is phenomenal! I have driven the motor while putting some pressure on the paper and it just continues to grunt. I might look at hooking this thing up to the back wheel!!!

For the Safari I have been supplied with two data-loggers to gather some use data. One is a 3 axis G-Force data-logger to measure the types of impacts and forces the nav tower is subject to in racing in x, y and z vectors. I have set this to sample every 500ms. The other is a temperature data-logger that is set to sample every 10 seconds. I'll download the data at the end of every day and reset them to log the next day. Should be interesting. The location of the G-Force data-logger might change if I can find a better location that is closer to being correct in x, y and z orientation.

So the bike just needs it's graphics kit, which I should be getting tomorrow. Unfortunately I have to work tomorrow so it'll be Tuesday afternoon before I can pick them up. So maybe Wednesday I'll have some cool photo's of the bike ... but maybe I'll wait until our good mate Ross (inmate Sylvia) works his photographic magic with it. I'm scheduled for scrutineering on Thursday afternoon.

More soon.
Ciao
KTM 530 EXC-R
Old 09-16-2013, 02:24 AM   #131
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Bikes looking great Jaybo, starting to wish I was still comming over.

How does the mk1 RB allow for different size scrolls on each spool? oneway roller/clutch bearing ala MD? can't see it in the photos. love the design so far hope it stands up to the riggers of racing.

If your going to use the hedious hand guards can you re-locktight all of the bolts esp the main ones on the ends. wouldn't want a last miniute fix from last year cause any issues.

GO BRO GO.......
topo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:31 AM   #132
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 2,022
Excellent setup John

I like the rider's view . The magnetic pulleys that you see are taken from our test units, the final units will have black nickel coated magnets in colored pulleys.
Will be waiting to see how it performs with the multiple scrolls per day and get the data from the loggers as well to see the environment this equipment operates...
I would like to point out that the top o-rings for the cover are made from UV protected polymer, not natural rubber or Viton, so their performance will not change over time and they do not get this ageing effect that you see on rubber after sun exposure. In general the materials are well thought out and we chose materials based on the fact that this equipment should never give up on you. That is why transmission o-rings are guaranteed for life against failure, and that is just one example.

John, as you will see during the race, being able to have a spare spool with you and load a new scroll in less than a minute is priceless during big races. So... remember to take the third spool with you eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by topo View Post
How does the mk1 RB allow for different size scrolls on each spool? oneway roller/clutch bearing ala MD? can't see it in the photos. love the design so far hope it stands up to the riggers of racing.
Good question indeed... As you already know, the effect is even worse when you increase the diameter of the scroll... That is why so far you would see 35-48 mm scrolls.
As you point out, there are one way roller clutches on the motor pulleys. The main difference in this area is that the transmission geometry with the bearings in every single joint, allow the roadbook to handle much larger scrolls than the other RB holders. The geometry is the key here, and there is another version which handles 60mm scrolls but its size was just too big and we decided not to go forward with it. The special o-rings play an important role as well there...
Even though this thing looks amazingly simple, I can tell you that its complexity in the design phase is enormous. Will not go to the details but imagine that to transmit the correct torque you have to play with: number of magnets, arrangement of magnets (where are their poles), maximum and minimum distance between magnets, diameter of pulleys, geometry of the magnets, check that the cartridge is easily removable but also transmits the correct torque, and a couple of others .... Imagine all the combinations of these 6-8 parameters and you get the idea...

Sorry for the long text... got a bit carried out there
Till later,
D.

640 Armageddon screwed with this post 09-16-2013 at 12:01 PM Reason: spelling...
640 Armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:25 AM   #133
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by topo View Post
Bikes looking great Jaybo, starting to wish I was still comming over.

If your going to use the hedious hand guards can you re-locktight all of the bolts esp the main ones on the ends. wouldn't want a last miniute fix from last year cause any issues.
I picked up the graphics tonight, so hopefully will get those on tomorrow afternoon. Then you'll be talking about a great looking bike!

Are you sure you want me to use threadlok locktite or would you prefer I use the gasket paste like someone I know used last year. The hideous handguards are actually the ones I had on the 640Adv a few years ago on Safari (2008 I think it was). They are the only ones I have that have the extension piece to increase the deflection area at the top and have the alloy bar. I tried to find some white ones but they're a bit scarce here. I could find some all plastic white ones but I really want the alloy bar wrap-around ones so I'm less likely to break them if (when?) I slip over. I even thought about painting the orange ones with white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon
Till later,
D.
Dont' apologise D, your passion for the project is commendable.
KTM 530 EXC-R
Old 09-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #134
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
Till later,
D.

like John says, no need to apologise for being passionate about your product. I cant wait to have a look in person when we get to SA in january

John, keep up the good work.

GO BRO GO.......
topo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #135
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Went and got signed on today. Managed to sneak in early (the first - same as last year) because I have to work a half day tomorrow. I started the day picking up my first batch of "Official Team Supporter" Tee-Shirts and then stopped in at my work to deliver them to a few people that had already pre-paid for shirts. So here's some of the great people I work with proudly showing their support

I the spent a couple of hours putting some of the graphics on the 450RFR but ran out of time before I finished (so photo's will have to wait) and had to go around to CPW Service and finish up wiring indicators on the mighty Aprilia of Warren Strange. I should run a competition to see who can guess how many bolts it uses to hold the plastic rear guard and side panels on!!! Reminds me of my blinkin' Elefant!

I did get to meet the South African entrant, Garth Roberts, the other day. Nice bloke. PINK BIKE!!! It was looking to be in one piece tonight but it was far from it when I took a photo the other day!

Ciao for now.
KTM 530 EXC-R