User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
toddiscdn OP
Take off, EH!

Oddometer: 965
Edmonton back to SW Ontario via Montana etc,

Ok, it looks like Im not getting out of going to this wedding in Edmonton in Aug.(not mine) so Im thinking of trying to make the best of it and ship my bike out there(limited time) and riding home and am looking for route advice. Ive drove across the trans-Can. a couple times and am looking for somethiing different. I lived in Banff years ago so Ive done the icefields, etc. and thought of maybe heading over to some foresty trunk to head south, then down through The States, Montana Etc, not sure how to get across the praries, but after that through Minn, Wis. the UP then down the Mich mitten and home.

A very rough guess at a route - https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&tab=wl

-Can this be done in 5 days, I may be able to swing 6 or 7 but 5 is what Im looking at now.
-any interesting POI I can link to make a route is appreciated
- Min interstate, yes Im dumb enough to do this on a DR650
- Ive considered TCAT, but not sure Ive got the time
-Anything else ya got.

Cheers, Todd

toddiscdn screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 06:32 PM
toddiscdn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
toddiscdn OP
Take off, EH!

Hmm....map no worky, try again http://tinyurl.com/cdf6znw

Another http://tinyurl.com/bnkebdr

toddiscdn screwed with this post 04-04-2013 at 12:47 PM
Old 04-04-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
BTL
Summer 2 short.

Oddometer: 383
no problem. I am doing fly n ride this May. Picking up bike in Milwaukee on 17th of May and will be in Edmonton on the 20th in the evening.

Your schedule looks very doable. Have fun.

I will be on a BMW GSA.
BTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #4
OldSilverFox
Let's Go!

Oddometer: 389
Back to SW Ontario

Todd
I would suggest that you ride the "Going to the Sun" highway trough Glacier National Park. It's a very senic ride but not fast (lots of tourists for good reason) but still nice.
I see your avoiding Williston, N Dakota. Good choice. The oil boom has made the place a disaster especially if your looking for a place to stay.
TCAT Ride Report .
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825909
OldSilverFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
wos
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisi...thesunroad.htm

Going to the sun is well worth doing but plan on a whole day to do it. The roads are mostly North/South in that chunk of Montana, hard to move East west until you get over to Great falls. From there though it is a pretty straight slab shot all the way over. If it was my tripI would take the extra time to ride the mountains including Going to the Sun and Beartooth pass before the long boring slab ride across the prairies.
wos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #6
Sunday Rider
Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer: 651
You can do it 5 days. Going to the Sun road is great, just make sure you get there early.

Have you considered coming back on the Canadian side? Just drop down below the TransCan and I think it was Highway 13 and 18 that are just north of the US border. Much more interesting than the TransCan. Then continue up on the north shore of Superior, if you haven't been, it is not to be missed.

If you decide to stay State side, the roads you have on the map are great and if you are short of time you can take hwy 2 in the US it is very fast, but more interesting than the Interstates.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #7
BTL
Summer 2 short.

Oddometer: 383
Ride to the sun is awesome but I have been snowed out in June. The weather can be crazy..

U could dip a little further south prior to heading east via Montana and Wyoming...great riding thru there.

Midwestern states is like the prairies, just get thru it. You also have option of ferry across Lake Michigan if your staying state side.

Either way, you trip will be awesome I'm sure.
BTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #8
toddiscdn OP
Take off, EH!

Thanks guys, When I first drew a rough route I had no Idea I was on top of Going to the Sun rd., thats on the list now, looks very touristy, but may be a must do. Ive split it up a bit and it sure looks like its doable in 5, but I think I,ll shoot for 6 to cut some of the longer days down and allow room for the unknown.

The 5 day looked like this-
1-St.Albert towards RMH,over to forestry rds head south with Waterton area being max distance
2 - Across the border, GTTS rd, hook up with hwy 2 head eastto mid. or a bit more Montana
3- Mid Montana through N end Theodore Roose. NP towards Grand Forks area
4- GF to somewhere midway across Mich. U.P., Iron Mountain?, Marquette
5 - U.P. down the Mich. mitten cross @ Port Huron/Sarnia and Im home 1/2 hr after that.

One more day would split that up a bit more,maybe more time in Foot hills and Montana, nothing written in stone.Hell I have the "hall pass" but no other logistics figured out, I,ll have to see about shipping the bike,, etc., the prairies are not going anywhere so I,ll see what I can do to make it interesting. Looking at it sure makes me want to make it come true though.

BTL- my second map has me dropping more south through SD then crossing Lk. Mich. on the ferry, so its still a possibility.

Sunday Rider- I thought about the CDN side, but wanted some stuff Ive never seen, Ive done N. of Superior and its awesome, but ads alot of time too, so I,l save that for later

OldSilver Fox- Hi Mark, dont come home yet its still cold .

This started as a whim, as in "we have the wedding in Aug." "well maybe I,ll make a bike trip outta it" "maybe you should", But now its really piqued my interest.

Cheers, Todd
Old 04-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #9
OldSilverFox
Let's Go!

Oddometer: 389
Todd
I'd also suggest that on your way south from Calgary when you get on #22 and join #3 turn west on the Crow's nest Pass road and go to the Frank Slide site. It's just a few km's west but impressive to see. It's hard to believe how much of that mountain came down without warning.
TCAT Ride Report .
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825909
OldSilverFox is online now   Reply With Quote