Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 07:19 AM   #1
ggemelos OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Anyone doing the Trans Lab late summer 2013?

I am planning on doing the Trans Labrador late this summer, late August to early September. I don't have an exact departure date or route. I will be heading out of NYC and most likely I will do it CCW, but that is the extent of my planning for now and most likely there will won't be that much more by the time I leave. I am targeting two weeks. I will be on a WR250R. This is my first long trip on the WR250R and a test trip for a possible run down to Ushuaia. Anyone else planning on doing the loop around that time?
Old 04-03-2013, 07:51 AM   #2
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggemelos View Post
I will be heading out of NYC and most likely I will do it CCW, but that is the extent of my planning for now and most likely there will won't be that much more by the time I leave.

It's all well and good to be spontaneous, but you might want to rethink that a bit. The logistics of riding the Trans-Lab do require some planning ahead. Two main things: fuel, and the ferry between Newfoundland and Cape Breton.

There are two long stretches of the Trans-Lab with no services, one of them about 180 miles (Churchill Falls to Happy Valley-Goose Bay), and the other 260 miles (HV-GB to Port Hope Simpson). You'll need to carry extra fuel.

And that ferry between Newfoundland and Cape Breton requires reservations, and sometimes fills up in advance. It's a good idea to make your reservations two weeks or more beforehand to make sure you'll actually be able to get on.

Other than that, you've picked a great time of year to do the trip, and the WR ought to be a fun bike for it. Have fun, and post a ride report when you're back!

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #3
ggemelos OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
It's all well and good to be spontaneous, but you might want to rethink that a bit. The logistics of riding the Trans-Lab do require some planning ahead. Two main things: fuel, and the ferry between Newfoundland and Cape Breton.

There are two long stretches of the Trans-Lab with no services, one of them about 180 miles (Churchill Falls to Happy Valley-Goose Bay), and the other 260 miles (HV-GB to Port Hope Simpson). You'll need to carry extra fuel.

And that ferry between Newfoundland and Cape Breton requires reservations, and sometimes fills up in advance. It's a good idea to make your reservations two weeks or more beforehand to make sure you'll actually be able to get on.

Other than that, you've picked a great time of year to do the trip, and the WR ought to be a fun bike for it. Have fun, and post a ride report when you're back!

--mark
Thanks for the heads up. I was aware that the ferry can fill up pretty quickly and the gas issue. Given that I am going CCW, the ferry is in the early part of the trip and having a set date of the ferry should not be too constraining on the schedule. I will make sure to book the ferry well in advance. As for the gas, I should not have a problem with those distances. After running out of gas in the Northern Yukon, I am a bit cautious when it comes to fuel reserves.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,287
Maybe they have gone strict regarding reserving Ferries...? I never had/nor did made reservations for any Ferries then:

-from Sidney Harbor, NS to Port Aux Baques,NFLD

-then from St Barbe,NFLD > Blanc Sablon, NFLD/Quebec...

-Cartwright, Lab > Happy Valley, Lab (before Phase III)

There was always one more room for any motorcycle. How times have changed!!?

Planning to do it again but this time in my VW Eurovan/Camper this summer...but with Ferry reservations of course... due to my size!

I can see that you're well versed in trips like these; you did AK and the Yukon, just be careful as Labrador can "bite"...watch your speed.
Have a great trip.... savor the sights...and complement yourself with a plate of cod tonques.

cheers..
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
invisible monster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggemelos View Post
I am planning on doing the Trans Labrador late this summer, late August to early September. Anyone else planning on doing the loop around that time?
I am planning to run the TransLab on my 690 Enduro the first two weeks of Sept. Been reading all the TransLab info since last year so I've got a basic idea of what I'm going to do. Planning to go CCW as well as it seems to make timing the ferries easier.

I'll shoot you a PM, we can chat about the possibilities.
invisible monster is offline   Reply With Quote