User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
Skoots OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
F800gs on Hatfield and McCoy trails????

Just wondering if anybody has taken their F800gs on these trails? If there is already a thread this on this please point me in the right direction. My brothers go down there twice a year with their kids riding. I want to take my son down there riding. I have never been down there so I don't know what to expect. My question is can the F800gs handle those trails or should I buy a dedicated dirt bike to ride down there. I would rather spend the money farkling the crap out my F800gs instead of buying another bike. I'm aware of the soft stock rims and suspension. If I go I plan plan on just cruising the trails, obviously with skid plate, crash bars,etc. Is this bike to big for the trails or would I be fine? My brothers think I'm crazy for wanting to ride my bike down there but that's why I bought it. To go off road.
Skoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
SidewinderX
Hey, watch this!

Oddometer: 1,140
It depends on which trail system and what you don't mind replacing on your bike.

Seriously though. Considering that I have no idea on your skill level: an average rider with a average bike is good for @ 5-10% of the trails if you want to come out unscathed.

You can always buy a 5 yr old DR650 for a good price and resell it when you return. The money lost would probably be less than your damaged rims or fairings.

Some of the coal dust laden mud is the slickest that I have encountered. And I am usually on a full knobby off road race bike. KTM 300XC
Old 05-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
seasider
Just a rider

Oddometer: 348
Lots of the trails will be fine. Stay off the single track and ride the green and blue. Similar to ski trail labeling.....you will have plenty to ride assuming your riding crew is out for basic trail riding.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
Skoots OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasider View Post
Lots of the trails will be fine. Stay off the single track and ride the green and blue. Similar to ski trail labeling.....you will have plenty to ride assuming your riding crew is out for basic trail riding.
The youngest in our group is 9 years old riding a crf 80. We won't be hitting the hard trails. We would be sticking to the easier trails. I figure if my nephew can make it through on a crf 80 I should have no problem.
Skoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:31 AM   #5
too old for dirt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Laugh

You can do it, but it will not be enjoyable. The F800 is too heavy for those conditions on an ongoing basis. The slick rocky terrain will just wear you out riding all day.
too old for dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:04 AM   #6
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old for dirt View Post
You can do it, but it will not be enjoyable. The F800 is too heavy for those conditions on an ongoing basis. The slick rocky terrain will just wear you out riding all day.
I have only ridden Pocahontas, plenty of trails there the F800 could have gone down, but its not the correct bike to ride there. (I had an XR650L with me)

Plus you can't get the correct tires for the F800 for down there. Plenty of mud puddles (small ponds) along the trail.
Lots of the trail is terraced into the side of hills, water collects and has nowhere to go so it fills the trail. (I think this design is on perpose to stop runoff and alluvial soil.

Remember everywhere you have both Mud and 4 wheelers, you have the potential for deep mud as for some reason ATV's love to play in mud. For the kid, just have him stick to the sides of the puddles and better yet, follow someone else through.