Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #31
DK Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
I really think this is turning into a very nice machine!
Ras, did you decide to go for the HPN tank instead of the TAG PD version? And what are your plans for the exhaust system?

I would really like to go for a similar concept but for now it's more realistic to just upgrade forks to the paralever GS type. On my previous bike I also had a TT seat and it was super comfortable so that is on my wish list as well, just don't know if it's compatible with the PD tank I have.

Looking forward to more details and photos
Old 04-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #32
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,619
Nice build!!
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #33
Clay Spinner
Woodfire or Bust

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK Dan View Post
I really think this is turning into a very nice machine!
Ras, did you decide to go for the HPN tank instead of the TAG PD version? And what are your plans for the exhaust system?

I believe he is keeping the TAG tank for the 'best' version. THis is the hack!
Clay Spinner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:21 AM   #34
Ras Thurlo OP
Desert Lion

Oddometer: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK Dan View Post
[SIZE=2]I really think this is turning into a very nice machine!
Ras, did you decide to go for the HPN tank instead of the TAG PD version?
Clay Spinner is right, the 43l tank was intended as my battle tank (MBT)

Had got this tank + seat 2nd hand from Boxer Toko, which meant that I could be up and running asap without having to fabricate a seat for the TAG 35l.

Also I want this bike to be a real dirt bike, rather than prom-queen. So wanted to run it in aggressively, before taking it on a trip. So it makes sense to put on the 43l now.

[IMG] photo IMG_0028_zps60506f51.jpg[/IMG]

Although I now have to admit that I think 43l works v.well with the general look of this bike. I already have this tank on my off-road R80GS and I really like the way it makes the bike handle. I am always careful not to fill it with more than approx 20l and at that point the petrol sits v.low just above the cylinders. I feel a big difference in slow speed handling.

Ras Thurlo screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 12:45 AM
Ras Thurlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:35 AM   #35
Ras Thurlo OP
Desert Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prutser View Post
What's the seat height Ras ?
It looks tall.
have not yet tried out suspension or sag yet.

So far in the procurement, I have prioritized suspension travel over ride height, given that I am tall enough to deal with high bikes and I wanted a BA ditbike out of this rebuild. But your right it does look tall.

In theory the forks should give close to 280mm of total suspension travel and the rear 250-260mm. Once I get this rolling, I can start to have a sense of sag and handling.

The forks were rebuild by Hyperpro. On the rear I have a second hand WP shock.

[IMG] photo IMG_0033_zps9f8bcbfc.jpg[/IMG]

Ras Thurlo screwed with this post 05-04-2013 at 11:31 AM
Old 04-08-2013, 12:43 AM   #36
Ras Thurlo OP
Desert Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
I hope you have a new centerstand on the way because what you have there isn't quite going to cut it. Looking great.
I am glad that my eco-friendly centerstand mod was noticed. Should also work well as a biodegradable bash plate.

In the meantime I also got a telescopic side stand from Migsel. Its real chunky and well made, as well as being able to deal with moving the spring so that it can work like a 'real' side stand.

Although will need to try out how it feels in this location as there is quite a lot going on in this particular corner of the bike between carbs, gear-lever, footpegs and side stand

[IMG] photo IMG_0035_zpscf980162.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-08-2013, 02:25 AM   #37
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 921
Are the frames footpegs mounts reinforsed ? It doesn't look like they are.
The ones on my ST kept bending. So I reinforsed them a few weeks ago.

What footpegs are you going to put on?
I took off my pivotpegs and bought some fastway pegs after asking AW abouth them. Like them a lot. They change the complete handling of the bike compared to the pivot things.

Most of the forks done buy them come with a list with whats in there. At least my girlfriends fork did.

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:44 AM   #38
Ras Thurlo OP
Desert Lion

Quote:

Are the frames footpegs mounts reinforced ?

What footpegs are you going to put on?

Most of the forks done buy them come with a list with whats in there.
- dont think the footpeg mounts are reinforced. Is this necessary if you are not jumping? Have never had a problem so far

- had bought pivot pegz. was that the wrong choice? Had assumed that the tilt would allow you to keep your heels down for better control when standing (on the theory that what works for a horse will also work for a bike). Why are Fastway pegs better? are they lower/further back? I had previously been using lowered wide pegs that I bought through touratech, and was reticent to go back up to a stock height (which I would have to do with the pivots).

- will check Hyperpro box again for any paperwork

Ras Thurlo screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 03:49 AM
Old 04-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #39
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras Thurlo View Post
- dont think the footpeg mounts are reinforced. Is this necessary if you are not jumping? Have never had a problem so far

- had bought pivot pegz. was that the wrong choice? Had assumed that the tilt would allow you to keep your heels down for better control when standing (on the theory that what works for a horse will also work for a bike). Why are Fastway pegs better? are they lower/further back? I had previously been using lowered wide pegs that I bought through touratech, and was reticent to go back up to a stock height (which I would have to do with the pivots)
The pivot pegs and fastway's are in the same position. The bending of the footpegmounts did happen because i was jumping with the bike. So I wouldn't worry about it to much.
With the pivotpegs I never had the feeling I was standing ok. The grip on them is a lot less compared to the fastway evolution air pegs. The pivots are not bad at all but the fasways are just better for my use.

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:59 AM   #40
Ras Thurlo OP
Desert Lion

Thx for the feedback

Quote:
The bending of the footpegmounts did happen because i was jumping with the bike. So I wouldn't worry about it to much.
Whats with you Dutch and jumping these bikes?

Its as if you finally come across a hill and can't think straight anymore
Old 04-09-2013, 06:24 AM   #41
Clay Spinner
Woodfire or Bust

Oddometer: 584
Ditto on the fastways... I have two sets waiting in the garage... I like them on my oilheads after trying various other brands.

So what are you doing for exhausts? I like the look of the 2 into 2 but haven't found a setup yet... I'm guessing any bmw 2 into 2 will fit... but am more keen on the smaller pipes are seen on some of the hpn/dakar bikes.
Clay Spinner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #42
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,275
Man I love a bike with black rims

I've bent the footpeg mounts on mine too--also from jumping. I've extended and lowered my pegs though so they've got a lot more leverage on the mounts. I thought that was the cause. I'm glad to hear it wasn't from the hamfisted mods I did to my pegs!

It doesn't seem difficult to add a thicker plate on either or both sides to stiffen them up but I've never seen it done. Does HPN brace those?

Quote:
I had previously been using lowered wide pegs that I bought through touratech, and was reticent to go back up to a stock height (which I would have to do with the pivots).
You can still lower the pivot pegs by making lowering brackets. I copied some that Nathan@Boxerworks made and they've worked out well for me.

I've always wanted to try Pivot Pegs but didn't want to spend the money just to try them out. Thanks for the review!

They'd lower my pegs from where I'm at now but they'd also move my feet forward the same amount. I'm mainly concerned with moving my weight back. I have a set of the lowered footpegs that move your feet forward sitting in a box on the shelf. The bike felt much lighter when I moved them back. Trials riders have been doing it for almost 100 years. Gotta be a reason for that. Those more-forward lowered pegs are a bit more comfortable on a road trip. I don't think any of us are concerned about our seating positions though

Quote:
Whats with you Dutch and jumping these bikes?

Its as if you finally come across a hill and can't think straight anymore

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 04-09-2013 at 11:16 AM
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #43
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
It doesn't seem difficult to add a thicker plate on either or both sides to stiffen them up but I've never seen it done. Does HPN brace those?
They braced mine, but only because I asked them to. I broke my left one in a heavily loaded dump in some rocks. It got a quick and dirty repair at the first welder I could find somewhere outside of Santa Fe, NM. HPN did exactly what you were saying. They cut another identical plate, placed it over the existing ones and stitched the edges.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #44
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,605
I've found a snug fitting bolt kept tight, supported by a wide collar around the bolt and fitting well between the
brackets locks the assembly together so not to require adding additional material for strength.

Also I've watched videos of airheads being jumped.
Mainly I see old school technique with the rider remaining relatively rigid and upright.
Instead of supporting yourself on the bike engage in free flight and try to draw the bike up towards you
- clamp knees on tank bend knees , raise feet toward body from the hip.
You'll find you jump further without increasing hight and land flatter placing less stress on the bike.

Watch some FMX or better yet watch Robbie Madison the bikes may be different but the physics is still the same
Old 04-15-2013, 02:02 PM   #45
Ras Thurlo OP
Desert Lion

Quote:
I had the 32/10 with the lower first gear. After my summer trip the first thing I did was put back the 37/11.
The 32/10 was ok but I do like the shorter gearing for technical tracks.
btw- I think you are right that the 37/11 is the best choice for real off road

Still happy with the idea of the 32/10 on the rebuild- in part due to the hope that the increased torque of the hot-rod engine will compensate for the taller gearing

Ras Thurlo screwed with this post 04-15-2013 at 02:27 PM