Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #16
ADVCoop OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
It is definitely bent. Right off of the bracket where it mounts to the swingarm you can see a bend. I'm going to pull it off soon and see if I can straighten it out. I'll get a picture then. It just felt like even for a trials bike it was leaning way too far. This bend is why because if I just push the lever back an inch or so to simulate where it would be if it was straight, the bike sits much nicer.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:37 AM   #17
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVCoop View Post
It is definitely bent. Right off of the bracket where it mounts to the swingarm you can see a bend. I'm going to pull it off soon and see if I can straighten it out. I'll get a picture then. It just felt like even for a trials bike it was leaning way too far. This bend is why because if I just push the lever back an inch or so to simulate where it would be if it was straight, the bike sits much nicer.
I believe that is what I told you in my first post, Paragraph 2

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...06&postcount=5

Ya all just complain when I share my "wizzzzzdum" anymore...
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #18
ADVCoop OP
Studly Adventurer

LOL I know, I know .
Old 03-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #19
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
...Ya all just complain when I share my "wizzzzzdum" anymore...
What complaining isn't what life is about?

(I know it really isn't but so many people do complain that some times I start to wonder.)
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:22 PM   #20
turnsleft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
Here are my GG 280 and Montesa 4RT. GG has a stock side stand, 4RT has a Mitani side stand.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:28 AM   #21
ADVCoop OP
Studly Adventurer

Right now I would say mine leans more like your 4RT. I would prefer if it leaned like your Gas Gas so off-road it's easier to park if needed .
Old 03-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #22
SnoDrtRider
Got Snow?

Oddometer: 2,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32
...Ya all just complain when I share my "wizzzzzdum" anymore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc21 View Post
What complaining isn't what life is about?

(I know it really isn't but so many people do complain that some times I start to wonder.)
My wife tells me that I am not happy unless I am complaining about something... I tell her I married the perfect person because she gives me plenty to complain about!
'80 Suzuki GS850G, '74 Honda MT250 Enduro
'71 Kawasaki 100,1971 Honda SL70, Sears Mini Bike
SnoDrtRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:51 PM   #23
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoDrtRider View Post

My wife tells me that I am not happy unless I am complaining about something... I tell her I married the perfect person because she gives me plenty to complain about!

You interested in riding soon?
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:07 AM   #24
SnoDrtRider
Got Snow?

Oddometer: 2,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by motojunky View Post

You interested in riding soon?
I'll give it a crack... I woke up this morning thinking I should check the air in the tires and play around out back today before it rains.
'80 Suzuki GS850G, '74 Honda MT250 Enduro
'71 Kawasaki 100,1971 Honda SL70, Sears Mini Bike
SnoDrtRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:03 AM   #25
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Most trials side stands bend very easily indeed. However if they are steel its very easy to straighten them so bikes dont lean over quite so far. First let down tyres to pressure you normally ride at. Then put the stand into the down position, and using a heavy copper/hide hammer bend it into a more suitable position, checking to make sure you dont go too far. This takes around 15 minutes, and works in almost all cases, but do be prepared for stands that are very badly bent to crack and need welding.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #26
ADVCoop OP
Studly Adventurer

I pulled it off and put it in my vice and straightened it out. You could see the bend easily, it was up by where it bolts on to the swingarm. It sits at a much better angle now.

Now I need to investigate and figure out why the wheel isn't centered. I suspect someone used the wrong spacer on the brake side because they put shims between the caliper and mount and the parts manual just shows the washers, not 1/4" thick shims like are on this bike. I never noticed it until I put a new front fender on it (the braces are not that color now those were test fit). But I pulled the fender off and can't believe i missed it. It is easily 1/4-1/2" too far to the throttle side of the bike.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #27
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVCoop View Post
I pulled it off and put it in my vice and straightened it out. You could see the bend easily, it was up by where it bolts on to the swingarm. It sits at a much better angle now.

Now I need to investigate and figure out why the wheel isn't centered. I suspect someone used the wrong spacer on the brake side because they put shims between the caliper and mount and the parts manual just shows the washers, not 1/4" thick shims like are on this bike. I never noticed it until I put a new front fender on it (the braces are not that color now those were test fit). But I pulled the fender off and can't believe i missed it. It is easily 1/4-1/2" too far to the throttle side of the bike.

SURE fender is from correct bike? looks like wheel is centered to forks to me, but fender has more on (throttle side) bracket of fender itself than the clutch side? But could be hidden by brake hose I guess?

Ill have to shoot a picture of mine with original parts same looking year, for comparison for you... main thing is the BRAKE, all that has to align, everything else is not mandatory, if you know what I mean. maybe?
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #28
ADVCoop OP
Studly Adventurer

If I measure from the fork to the wheel it is definitely off. Almost 1/2".

You are correct those are not the correct fender or braces that's why I said I took them off to check the wheel. That is the only picture I had though so I posted it for now.

If I get it to where the wheel is center the rotor bolts rub the fork so I suspect the fork may be bent slightly. Or something is definitely off somewhere haha. I am not going to worry about it I don't think. I am not putting the cost of new forks into this bike. If it was new or much newer maybe. Not on a 1992 though. I won't be competing on this bike just riding in my side woods learning some basics and having fun on it.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #29
turnsleft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
Almost makes me dizzy to look at the picture. Seems like the fender needs to be spun around brackets and all. Could the forks not be parallel? I had to put the front axel off my Gas Gas in a lathe to true it up so I could get the front wheel to true up.

But then could just be camera angle and old eyes. Try loosening the triple trees and see if the forks spin ez.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #30
ADVCoop OP
Studly Adventurer

That picture sucks. I used my phone and shouldn't even have posted it haha. If you look at the picture above I posted of the lean angle you can kind of see the problem. I think it is the wheel is not parallel like you said.