Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
KungPaoDog OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Is it a bad idea to buy an Android phone with Gingerbread?

I'm thinking about new phones for the wife and I, and we don't need brand new and top-of-the-line, but I am seeing that there is a chance that buying a phone with Gingerbread OS might leave me with a very out of date, unsupported phone in a year or two. Specifically I like the looks of the Casio Commando, wife likes the Kyocera Milano.

We currently have dumb-phones, so anything is a step up, and we are very happy with Page Plus through Kitty Wireless (Verizon MVNO). Otherwise I'd consider a Kyocera Torque from Sprint; I'm just not in the mood to try out Sprint's service area or MVNO around here.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,662
Too old... all the newer apps require faster hardware and ICS at minimum.. Save yourself trouble, and frustration, and go with something newer.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #3
KungPaoDog OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
Too old... all the newer apps require faster hardware and ICS at minimum.. Save yourself trouble, and frustration, and go with something newer.
I thought someone might say that

Anyone have a Gingerbread phone that they don't hate? Or are you all ready to upgrade since they are so old and outdated?
Old 03-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
SR1
In Western NC

Oddometer: 4,370
Why can't you upgrade the OS?
Old 03-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #5
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

It's the hardware... even if you could upgrade, still not worth it.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:55 PM   #6
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,001
The OS should be fine for most of the stuff you'll want to do with it, I'm guessing. There will probably be a few of the newer, fancier apps that you can't use, but with pageplus and limited data use, I think you won't want to anyway. If you have the inclination to root your phone and find more modern roms, that helps too. I happen to have a droid x with a rom based on gingerbread, I use it quite a bit, mostly for email, phone, calendar, and time tracking stuff, along with surfing advrider at lunchtime. Works great, I don't need anything more right now. Up until a couple weeks ago, my wife had an original droid, it's now become our home music player (plugged into the stereo). It was a great phone.

Do your research on the phones though, the two that you mentioned don't look that hot to me- I'd go with something a bit more mainstream, it'll have more user support on forums and such. And don't overpay- my view is, my phone may be obsolete in another year or two, but I only paid $60 for it, I use it hard at work every day (construction), and I don't have to worry too much about it.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:39 AM   #7
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,145
I have a droid x in near perfect shape ill sell if you are interested.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #8
Jamie

Oddometer: 1,219
Both kids have the kindle fire with that version and it's very frustrating to use.
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:20 AM   #9
KungPaoDog OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
The OS should be fine for most of the stuff you'll want to do with it, I'm guessing. There will probably be a few of the newer, fancier apps that you can't use, but with pageplus and limited data use, I think you won't want to anyway. If you have the inclination to root your phone and find more modern roms, that helps too. I happen to have a droid x with a rom based on gingerbread, I use it quite a bit, mostly for email, phone, calendar, and time tracking stuff, along with surfing advrider at lunchtime. Works great, I don't need anything more right now. Up until a couple weeks ago, my wife had an original droid, it's now become our home music player (plugged into the stereo). It was a great phone.

Do your research on the phones though, the two that you mentioned don't look that hot to me- I'd go with something a bit more mainstream, it'll have more user support on forums and such. And don't overpay- my view is, my phone may be obsolete in another year or two, but I only paid $60 for it, I use it hard at work every day (construction), and I don't have to worry too much about it.
Usage would probably be about like yours. Nothing too fancy.

I'm pretty well sold on a water resistant phone after killing three phones with water I'm on my second Casio, and while slightly imperfect in software, they are bullet-proof. So, I'm pretty limited if I go that route.

I would probably be inclined to root a phone because I like to tinker with my stuff, but the main use would be pretty simple usage like you described. Not too worried about data limits since I'm usually near wifi when I'd want to use a phone for that type of thing anyway. If you're in nature, you damn well better turn of your phone

I can probably talk the wife into something like a Droid X or an Incredible, or one of the other more mainstream equivalents that has a better reputation. Some of the earlier ones are getting dirt cheap.

Jamie- what is so frustrating about that version?

KungPaoDog screwed with this post 03-22-2013 at 11:10 PM
KungPaoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:14 AM   #10
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

I have two Thunderbotls for Verizon for sale. That would probably be the lowest i would go in terms of hardware..I upgraded to HTC Droid DNA. The difference between TBOLT and DNA is amazing. It's not the software as much as its the hardware it was designed to run on... things just look so laggy and slow on older phones. Save yourself some headache and go with newer hardware.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:10 PM   #11
Jamie

Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by KungPaoDog View Post

Mostly it's just jerky and sluggish. I'm not sure it's the hardware in this case. While Amazon doesn't offer a software upgrade, there is a way to update it to Ice Cream and folks call it a different machine afterwards. The tradeoff is much decreased battery life. It's perfectly fine as a reader, but I'd hate to use it as a tablet full time.
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #12
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,665
I just gave up gingerbread a few months ago. When my galaxy s2 updated to ICS, it killed it. I had to learn how to root and play with android just so I could undo that nonsense and go back to gingerbread. Worked great for me right up to the day I upgraded to a new phone and jelly bean. For basic smart phone use, I'd say it's fine.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:46 PM   #13
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungPaoDog View Post
Usage would probably be about like yours. Nothing too fancy.

I'm pretty well sold on a water resistant phone after killing three phones with water I'm on my second Casio, and while slightly imperfect in software, they are bullet-proof. So, I'm pretty limited if I go that route.

I would probably be inclined to root a phone because I like to tinker with my stuff, but the main use would be pretty simple usage like you described. Not too worried about data limits since I'm usually near wifi when I'd want to use a phone for that type of thing anyway. If your in nature, you damn well better turn of your phone

I can probably talk the wife into something like a Droid X or an Incredible, or one of the other more mainstream equivalents that has a better reputation. Some of the earlier ones are getting dirt cheap.

There's reputation/quality, but the other issue is updates- You'll have better luck looking for a more recent cyanogenmod or similar for a mainstream phone.

I think Jaimie's experience may be true for a tablet, but I don't use my phone like a tablet- I've never watched videos on it, though I've taken a few snippets of video of my baby. I mostly do text stuff. I'd rather use a real camera to take pictures/video, and a real computer to do web or computer design stuff.
The one mistake I made at first was thinking that I would want a physical keyboard for typing. I learned about swype and installed that, and never used a physical keyboard again. When I buy a phone, I root it, remove the swype keyboard it came with (if it did) and install swype beta, which works much better.

ktm
old bmw
others
Old 03-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #14
DanMesloh
Grumpy old man

Oddometer: 142
I'm still using my 2 1/2 year old droid x and it still works fine for me, I can send and receive email, check road or weather conditions, get directions, or surf the web. I have a Verizon unlimited data plan is it fast, no not really, but it seems to stream video fine and until Verizon cuts me off or the thing dies I'll keep it. If I could find another cheap enough I buy a second one.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #15
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMesloh View Post
I'm still using my 2 1/2 year old droid x and it still works fine for me, I can send and receive email, check road or weather conditions, get directions, or surf the web. I have a Verizon unlimited data plan is it fast, no not really, but it seems to stream video fine and until Verizon cuts me off or the thing dies I'll keep it. If I could find another cheap enough I buy a second one.
That's what I have. I think you should be able to get them for 40-50 bucks on ebay. Recently got my wife a droid x2 for $65 in good condition with clean esn, it's faster than my phone and has a better camera.

ktm
old bmw
others

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: