User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
GH41 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
2012 F650 issue

I haven't ridden this bike for a month but I do crank and let it run at a fast idle for 10-15 minutes every other week. Anyway it was covered with dust from a recent woodworking project so I decided to give a bath today. After washing I cranked the bike to dry it off. It fired instantly but only ran a few seconds and shut off. It turns over and sounds like the battery is fine but it won't start. What the hell could have gotten wet enough to keep it from starting?? GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:22 AM   #2
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,160
Could be dejavu all over again...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=868356

but seriously, I would slap an appropriate battery charger on it over night,
and if gas is old / not stabilized I'd consider siphoning it out and dumping the old stuff into some 4-wheeled vehicle with a big tank then put fresh fuel with techron fuel system cleaner in the bike and give it a go...
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:37 AM   #3
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,610
The last thing you want to do is idle it and shut it off. If you can't get it up to full temp for 20 mins or so then you're doing way more harm than good. Up in the Great White North, we leave our bikes for months on end. Fuel stabilizer is good but I never bother. The battery self discharges at a lower rate when cold as well so only once a month it gets charged mostly cause it's easy. Your plugs may have iced up if it's cold enough but they can also carbon up from running rich without the opportunity to get hot enough to burn it off. You didn't say where you were located....hot/cold climate.

Don't try to start it unless you're able to immediately go for a good ride. Hopefuly you don't have to remove your plugs for cleaning. That's not for novices on these bikes.

It's almost 50F here so I'm headed out for a ride. On the bike you can see over the snow banks.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:31 AM   #4
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,121
When you put the key in and turn it on but don't press the start button, can you hear the fuel pump?
What you have is a symptom of a failed fuel pump controller. But that shouldn't be the case on a 2012 model with the black fuel pump controller.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
GH41 OP
Studly Adventurer

I live in the south so cold to us is 30-40 for a few days, I try to fill up with ethanol free gas but cant' always do it. The gas in the tank now is probably half and half. I did charge the battery and it still won't start. It turns over fine. The problem is probably fuel related. After cranking it for 5-6 seconds I can stick my nose in the tailpipe and cannot smell gas! Something got wet and quit working. Like I said before.. after the bath it cranked right up but only ran a couple of seconds. My preferred dealer is 4.5 hours away and not open today. Good thing I have a trailer. GH
Old 03-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
Reaver
Outta Here

Twice I have seen both injectors fail at the same time. Can't explain it, they just did. Replaced both with no further issue.

Your bike is under warranty. F it, call roadside and have them deal with it. You paid for the privelage, might as well use it.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #7
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
I live in the south so cold to us is 30-40 for a few days, I try to fill up with ethanol free gas but cant' always do it. The gas in the tank now is probably half and half. I did charge the battery and it still won't start. It turns over fine. The problem is probably fuel related. After cranking it for 5-6 seconds I can stick my nose in the tailpipe and cannot smell gas! Something got wet and quit working. Like I said before.. after the bath it cranked right up but only ran a couple of seconds. My preferred dealer is 4.5 hours away and not open today. Good thing I have a trailer. GH
If you cant smell gas, it is likely the fuel pump controller.
Anyone taking bets?
Old 03-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #8
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 523
weird

check your fuses

kill switch

pray

good luck

bob
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
Dieselpwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
2012 must have warranty so let BMW figure it out.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #10
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbob View Post
weird

check your fuses

kill switch

pray

good luck

bob
There are no fuses on the F650GS. I would think that most owners understand that. It is a CANBUS system and the only fuses are going to be ones that were added later when wiring in accessories.

The problem here, if you want to believe it or not, is a fairly common fault on the earlier model F650GS twins, the GS1200's, and the F800's etc... The fuel pump controller goes with no warning and can leave you stranded. Since this bike is supposed to be under warranty, BMW should fix it. If it isn't, you either learn to do the fuel pump controller bypass using the Tim Cullis method or you pay out the ass for a Burns cable to do the bypass.
With an old and no good fuel pump controller you can easily make your own plug and play bypass in a few minutes with common shop tools. If you make your own, it will be switchable with the ignition, if you opt for the Burns cable, you have to unplug it every time you turn the bike off as it will be wired directly to the battery.
I had the same problem a few months back in a mountain town here in Mexico a long, long way from home (a few hours). I had the Cullis method saved as a PDF on my smartphone and was back on the road after a short delay, it got me home, and got me to the dealer where I coughed up over a $100 bucks (in pesos) for a new fuel pump controller. The new ones are black powder coated and the old ones are natural gray metal color.
The gray metal colored ones are likely going to fail after 3 years.
It is just another known fault of the bike that BMW refused to do a "campaign" recall for. Like the rear wheel bearings, for example. The problem was far worse on the GS1200 and a lot of owners of GS12's who did big miles, had a spare FPC unit and a spare antennae ring/ring antennae and knew how to swap out both.

If you don't know how to bypass the fuel pump controller and you ride in remote areas, learn it by heart. The entire procedure can be done with a Leatherman, even getting the little size 10 Torx screws out. I now have my home made plug and play bypass cable and a size 10 Torx key on the bike at all times.
Once bitten...
Old 03-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #11
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 523
what no fuses!! ....that must mean you get to spend more money and have the dealer run a scan on the CAN bus nodes to see if one of them IDs a fault.

Maybe the system just needs to be reinitialized/ re booted
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #12
GH41 OP
Studly Adventurer

The problem ended up being a bad battery. Thanks everyone for the help. GH
Old 03-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #13
Reaver
Outta Here

Thanks for the update GH. It's nice to get "closure". So many post their problem and the masses speculate and then the thread dies. Updates at least let us gain experience in order to help the next guy, or ourselves.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #14
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Bad battery? I thought it would crank but you couldnt detect fuel?
Old 03-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #15
GH41 OP
Studly Adventurer

It turned over fine but I always heard FI bikes are sensitive to voltage. The first thing I did when it wouldn't start is charge the battery. The service guys determined the battery was at fault and replaced it. Just because it turns over doesn't mean it is delivering the proper voltage to the system. All is well so far. GH