Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #16
bdcorrigan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
I know it is not the same bike but my XL600 did the same exact thing to the T and it was electrical, my stator was going bad. Tested it, it was bad and replaced it and bike ran wonderful. I would check the electrical just to be on the safe side.
bdcorrigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #17
bryantjt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
With the carb on the bike, or even holding it level, reach in and push the slide up and watch how it returns. It should come back fairly quickly. Also, check the action with the shop vac as suggested.

My 2006 KLX had 9000 miles on it when I traded it in and I had spoken with the dealer after that. Apparently a month or so after a guy bought it, the cdi cracked and got water in it. Have you looked at your electrical at all?
bryantjt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #18
Rob.G OP
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 1,955
The problem has been isolated. Not corrected, but isolated.

A friend came over tonight from out of town with his 2012 KLX250S. I had promised him I'd rejet his carb for him, and after doing so, we popped it on my bike. Bike fired right up and ran perfectly. So... it's definitely something in the carburetor.

We put his carb back on his bike and it's purring along nicely. So now, I need to figure out WTF is up with mine. I think I'll do the shop-vac test next, because I compared his slide movement to mine and they appear to be identical.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
'01 Yamaha FZ1
Rob.G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #19
Rob.G OP
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 1,955
IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got home today after (successfully) completing my Dirt Bike Instructor Training, and was beat. The more I sat here at the computer, the more I wanted to just go to sleep. Seeing as it was 5 PM, that wasn't a good idea. So I decided to start doing stuff. After washing off the DR650, I went in the garage and glared at the KLX's carburetor.

I picked it up and looked it over. I tested the slide again. It was working fine. WTF was its problem? I saw something that didn't look quite right. I THOUGHT it was, but I wasn't 100% sure, so I pulled up the parts fiche. Take a look below:

Look for the main jet. Now go up two parts to the one marked 16017. See that little fucker? I had inserted it from the top, as in, from within the barrel of the carb. I thought that's how I remembered it coming out, but I wasn't sure because it was sticking up farther than I seemed to recall. So I confirmed it on the fiche that it was in wrong.

Off came the top and bottom of the carb, and I moved it back into its correct position and reassembled.

I popped the carb on the intake boot, hooked up the throttle, added some fuel, and tested it. Holy crap, it worked! It revved freely. WTF. I don't see how that could have caused the problem, but I won't look the Fuel Gods in the mouth. I reassembled the bike and decided I needed to go for a ride to see if the problem returned after going WOT.

I geared up halfway, hopped on and went for a quick ride. Up the street a bit, then a U-turn, so if it died, I was aimed downhill. I wound it out in 3rd and 4th gear, and also went WOT in 5th and even 6th (which on a 250 isn't really saying much), and then the moment of truth... hop into the middle lane to turn left, let off the throttle... coast... coast... coast... come to a stop.... it's still running... give it a little gas... it was doing ok.

So... at least my initial test is positive. I did feel a very slight stumble at higher RPM, but that could have just been from tapping the rev limiter. I will experiment more tomorrow and if the thing keeps running, I'll stick my Wideband O2 sensor on it and doublecheck my jetting. I ended up putting a 124 main jet in Cory's KLX last night, but there's a 120 in mine and we have identical mods. And frankly his feels faster. So who knows, maybe I need a 124. I'll figure that out tomorrow if it continues running.

If it continues to run properly, my thinking is that there was crap in the carb, possibly some less than perfect gas, and it was still gummy from having sat for a few months unused. It's just coincidental that it would act up the same way after reassembly, with my slightly incorrect positioning of that one part. At least that's my theory. :)

Thanks to everybody for their input! It's very much appreciated!

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
'01 Yamaha FZ1
Rob.G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #20
brieninsac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
What an ordeal! Glad you found the culprit. It's funny how sometimes it takes a day away from something to get that ah-ha moment.
brieninsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:31 AM   #21
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,515
Wow it was pretty much what we had theorized all along instead of it being an obstruction due to varnish or corrosion it was one you put in there yourself.

But it was an obstruction regardless, I think that was the air jet for the idle circuit, hard to tell from the parts pic but that is a very finicky circuit to begin with so for it to do that because of your placement of the part on the wrong side makes perfect sense you could have been blocking a port cast into the bell housing which you can see.

At least you will stop calling me for advice on this now.

DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote