User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 07:51 AM   #16
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
I didn't even have a tent.

No, literally. Growing up in the SW desert we went camping many times and never had tent, just a sleeping bag bed roll and a rough length of hemp rope to circle around the camp because we thought that snakes and spiders couldn't cross over it.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #17
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,409
Last time I camped with a canvas tent was with my now ex-girlfriend Caroline and she had the families large canvas tent. This thing was big enough to sleep at least 6 and all stand and dress at the same time. It would almost fit on a motorcycle I think but you would probably loose a few other things and not have room for a pillon rider. It was OK when we were camped with the car. Caroline and I used that tent several times. They are some good memories.

I don't know if I want another old Army sleeping bag but I'd sure like to have one of those old canvas tents. Not the pup tent we used when I was in the Army but a large tent. I think they are available but I also think they are very spendy these days. Not a big demand for them so not too many made. But they are available. I saw some surplus type canvas tents a few years ago in some mass media catalog ( I think it was Sportsman's Guide). Don't know if they are still available there.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #18
Ko
Observant as never

Oddometer: 1,107
The way TOO many poles that didn't seem to fit regardless of how much I fought them...

The fact that always seemed to rain before finishing to set-up that bloody tent (slept 6 in 3 different compartments).

Proud of smartening up and using inflatable beach mattresses so they can float on the water that would find its way inside...

Had quite a few good times in that tent, but now I very much prefer the waterproofness of the present tent- although I miss fighting the poles, cursing, laughing, all the jokes and time spent with family and friends while setting up the beast...

Ko

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #19
Grinnin OP
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeroc40 View Post
The smell of white gas stoves and the lanterns with the uber fragile mantles that seemed to burn at about the same temperature as the sun.
I don't remember it being hot (although it was hot enough to glow bright white). I DO remember their strained hiss and the extreme glare. There was rarely a good place to put a Coleman lantern because it was so bright it caused darker shadows. High up and off to one side seemed least troublesome.

In pronounced contrast to the flashlights of the era. Any decent flashlight had 2 D cells and even then didn't glow dull yellow for long. We had a C-cell light but that wasn't good for an overnight. Seems the switch was usually iffy but even with everything clean and bent into shape it wouldn't hold a candle to today's LED with a single AAA cell.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #20
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,816
My parents had one of the old canvas tents, and they would write the name of each camp spot on the tent with a permanent marker. It was 2/3 covered before I was born. The first time I went camping, I was less than a month old.

We went camping every year, when my Dad got his 2 week vacation. We usually camped around 10,000 foot elevation in the Sierra mountains. I can remember it being really cold in the mornings, and we would warm our hands on the Coleman stove while the coffee percolated (yes, a percolator) and my Dad got the fire going again.

We usually camped during one the the meteor showers, so we would stay up late drinking hot cocoa and watching the streaks across the sky. My Uncle would tell stories that could scare the hair off a bear. By then, my little brother and I had our own tent that we set up on the other side of the creek just to be brave. After my Uncle's stories, we didn't feel so brave.

I still love to camp. At 41 years old, I have a 12X12 nylon tent, complete with cots. I use a battery powered lantern, and a propane single burner stove. We don't do radio or electronic entertainment, though. My wife and I stay up late watching the fire, sharing a bottle of Yukon Jack, and having intimate conversation.

Camping still means the same thing to me: escape, adventure, and quality time all rolled into one.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #21
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,480
I was trying to forget. Thanks.

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #22
jeep44
junk collector

Oddometer: 1,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
I don't remember it being hot (although it was hot enough to glow bright white). I DO remember their strained hiss and the extreme glare. There was rarely a good place to put a Coleman lantern because it was so bright it caused darker shadows. High up and off to one side seemed least troublesome.

In pronounced contrast to the flashlights of the era. Any decent flashlight had 2 D cells and even then didn't glow dull yellow for long. We had a C-cell light but that wasn't good for an overnight. Seems the switch was usually iffy but even with everything clean and bent into shape it wouldn't hold a candle to today's LED with a single AAA cell.

You had to have one of those flashlights with the big square metal-cased battery with the screw terminals on it-then it would throw a somewhat decent beam of light

My family camped in those long-ago days of the late '50s-early '60s. We had a heavy canvas tent, with just one tiny screened window in the back, so it was usually steaming hot in the summer, even with just the screened , zippered "door" in the front. Being an Army vet, my Dad got most of our equipment from surplus stores. The tent,the poles,the stakes-they were all in their designated canvas bags, and when we set up, we kids each had a job, like place the stakes near the loops, so Dad could hammer them into the ground. For years, he was the only one strong enough to lift the center peak of the tent, and place the four-legged "spider" legs into each pole at the corners. Then he lugged the massive metal Coleman cooler, filled with water and a bit of ice, over to the table, and we'd set up the Coleman stove, so my mother could start getting dinner ready. One of us had to find a pump (almost always it was a hand pump), and use it to fill our plaid-metal water jug with drinking water.
After sitting around a campfire for a while, listening to the hissing lantern, we went off to bed, and woke up to the smell of the stove, the perking coffeepot, and the toast burning on the rack on the stove

All of this old camping gear ended up in my parents garage attic,and it's still there. A few years ago, in a fit of nostalgia, my brother and I set up the tent. Lots of memories in that tent-even a set of holes made by a bear's claws as he looked in the back window in Yellowstone one year.
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #23
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,399
For fishing opener when I was a kid we would often go to Porcupine Lake in northern Wisconsin. We had to haul our gear in a ways, no modern vehicles allowed (wheels, you know..). Anyway, I loved camping along the creek that flows out of it and catching crappies in the lake.

At some point, in boy scouts, we did the "camping" thing and we went to a campground. My scout leader had a camper. Needless to say, I was confused. I thought we were supposed to be abandoned for a week having to fend for ourselves like lord of the flies. That was the beginning of the end of boy scouts for me.

I got a 18' canvas teepee, now Kind of want to rig a little wood burning stove into it.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:46 PM   #24
wvboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
[QUOTE=Maggot12;21007673]I still use that gear and nearly every sporting/camping goods store still sells it....
/QUOTE]

I have two of the old propane lanterns and a shitload of spare mantles and a propane coleman two burner stove, so much better than a candle when the power is out.

I also have one of the old pump style lanterns but it won't be used indoors.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #25
Dingo Joe
Frick You...

Oddometer: 4,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
My parents had one of the old canvas tents, and they would write the name of each camp spot on the tent with a permanent marker. It was 2/3 covered before I was born. The first time I went camping, I was less than a month old.

We went camping every year, when my Dad got his 2 week vacation. We usually camped around 10,000 foot elevation in the Sierra mountains. I can remember it being really cold in the mornings, and we would warm our hands on the Coleman stove while the coffee percolated (yes, a percolator) and my Dad got the fire going again.

We usually camped during one the the meteor showers, so we would stay up late drinking hot cocoa and watching the streaks across the sky. My Uncle would tell stories that could scare the hair off a bear. By then, my little brother and I had our own tent that we set up on the other side of the creek just to be brave. After my Uncle's stories, we didn't feel so brave.

I still love to camp. At 41 years old, I have a 12X12 nylon tent, complete with cots. I use a battery powered lantern, and a propane single burner stove. We don't do radio or electronic entertainment, though. My wife and I stay up late watching the fire, sharing a bottle of Yukon Jack, and having intimate conversation.

Camping still means the same thing to me: escape, adventure, and quality time all rolled into one.
Thx for the memories, and yes I remember:

the stars on a dark michigan night looking for shooting stars

potatoes cooked in the fire ashes

2 big canvas tents, tan with an orange stripe, large enough for mom & dad & 6 kids

singing songs around the fire, we even had roaming hippies stop by with guitars (60's & 70's)

mosquitoes and horse flies

water skiing all day, lunch on the beach, more skiing, dinner at camp, then more skiing

playing with other kids in the camp

fireworks

trapping chipmunks in milk cartons, we let the go...

cotton candy at the beach house canteen

the dining canopy/kitchen, dinner for 8 to 16 every night cooked by Mom!

cherry pies cooked in the fire, (buttered bread, pie filling and a pie iron)

a dark brown tan

sand everywhere

the innocence

2 weeks of the most fun every year

My folks did this for years before I was born and for the first 16-17 years of my life. My dad only got 2 weeks a year during shop shutdown and he spent it with us, driving the boat all day. It was a lot of work and everyone pitched in. My folks finally thought better of camping and started to rent cabins for vacation and at 90 years old, they still do and so does the rest of the family, every year 1-2 weeks. Some of the best times of my life, even back then I think I knew it was special. I sleep well in a tent...
Old 03-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #26
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padriug View Post
When I was 11 or so, Dad loaded up the old Plymouth Volare station wagon with the fam and we drove/camped our way to Yellowstone and back from Milwaukee. Our tent was a 65lb canvas two room Coleman tent. No car seats, back seat folded down so we could lay on our sleeping bags while reading comics during the drive. Coleman stove, laterns, porta-pottie. Bathed in the Missouri and/or Mississippi, good times.
No car seats doesn't bother me in the least but if you bathed in the Missouri or Mississippi in the '60s you're lucky you aren't dead

may as well have bathed in the sewer
Old 03-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #27
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,889
We used to camp out in the yard under a tent made from a blanket. Then we went for a big trip to VT in our 1960 Ford Galaxie. We borrowed a [probably Korean War surplus] 2 man "Mountain Tent" from a neighbor - they are now collector's items.

I still have our Coleman gas lantern, probably dates to the late 1940's.

Also spent a fair number of nights (all seasons) under the Army shelter-half tents at Ft Benning, Camp Rogers and Camp Darby. Not the hot setup if insects are about.

Also had the opportunity to set up an Army GP Medium tent - 16x32 feet - a number of times. Not that hard if you RTFM. They weighed over 500 lbs. We spent a week in winter in one at Fort Knox, with the H45 space heater that ran on diesel fuel. One of the pieces in the chimney worked loose overnight and there was soot everywhere the next morning. Good times!

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #28
welder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinLarry View Post
I hate camp posers!! The ones who bring a damn camper with electricity and water...

When my friends and I camp, we don't use shelter!! I just bring a cot and a sleeping bag.. If it looks like rain I'll bring a tarp to throw over me.

If I don't wake up with a deer licking my face, it's not camping!! hahahaa
you have obviously never owned a rv. After owning one there is no going back. i still bring my guns, knives, chainsaw, and beer, so the camping experience is still there , its just heated!
Old 03-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #29
Tripod
waldeinsamkeit

Oddometer: 1,123
Not sure the brand, but one Christmas we all had three-sided pup tents under the tree. 2-piece al. poles, no floor. Heavy as hell, especially when wet. Still remember that smell.

Best friend and dog headed out for some sub-zero winter camping that winter (1970's), stove iced up, sausage links and water solid as can be, not much sleep and the dog came back with a permanent kink in her tail.

Don't think those days really left. Tented all over the world in some spectacular places. But not in canvas.

"If I wanted someone to clean me up I'de find myself a maid"-Dawes
Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #30
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,885
Good memories folks. My family was not outdoorsy so I started camping on my own. I remember those giant canvas tents, smelled like 10000 boy scout s with athlete's foot.
Fire baked taters, hobos, freshly caught trout cooked in foil with a strip of bacon down the center.
Still camp off the bike, better equipment is nice. Dunno how I ever managed without a sleeping pad.
I still use the gas lanterns and stove trailer camping. It's an enclosed trailer with a couple bunks inside. Plenty fancy enough for me.

I'm not right if I don't get to sleep on the ground every now and then, and its been a bit too long.

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: