Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #31
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,377
My mom would tolerate camping but Dad loved it, we had this huge wall tent with a separate canvas 'dining fly' - that tent would sleep 6 or more of us, had more poles and stuff and weighed a short ton but we had it for a long time before it finally had to be dumped.

How about air mattresses that you had to blow up?

It rained a lot where we lived, so wood was always wet for fires.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #32
BeeCeeGS
WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer: 1,790
I'm thinking about buying a canvas tent for car camping, but I suspect it might be a little nicer to live in and set up than the old ones.

I'm hoping to establish camping with my kids while they're still young--hopefully they'll look back on the experience with fondness when they're older.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:40 PM   #33
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,084
My dad talked about the canvas tents when he was in Scouts and touching the wet canvas to cause a drip on his tent-mate's forehead, then getting the same in return, and continuing back and forth until both were drenched. This would have been in the late 40s.

We never camped as a family that I recall.

One of my mom's uncles "camped" in an old RV during the summer, spending his days fishing and his nights drinking. We'd visit for a few weekends each summer.

I like solo camping, but don't get to do it very often. I'm happy for modern lightweight gear and reliable heating appliances.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:55 PM   #34
a$$hole
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 921
[QUOTE=garandman;21012032]
Also had the opportunity to set up an Army GP Medium tent - 16x32 feet - a number of times.QUOTE]

I had to set up like 10 of those flippin things on a small island off Okinawa. As soon as we had em all up a fricken typhoon came through and knocked most of them down. Talk about a real pain in the ass!
a$$hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:22 AM   #35
Queen
Escapee

Oddometer: 24,060
Some of my earliest memories are of camping with my family. We had a big old smelly canvas tent and those cotton sleeping bags that never ever felt dry.

When we were stationed in Italy the first thing my dad did was buy an old VW van and a pile of surplus camping gear and off we went. We camped all over Europe, spent summers set up at the beach, camped so far up in the alps that we woke to snow in August, and learned that zipping up the tent tightly is important when camping on the beach in Greece... otherwise the little sand crabs will pinch your toes when they invade the tent.
Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:59 AM   #36
Grinnin OP
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,465
These have reminded me of so much. Our "umbrella" tent had internal poles. I swear the internal spider was solid 1/4" steel rod. On a center pole. None of this hollow tubes on the outside stuff.

And the pie irons. I forgot about the pie irons.

My dad died two weeks ago and much of the stuff is in the garage. I have seen the furniture and whatnot so many times over the years, but sorting through the camping equipment will bring memories from a different depth.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:22 AM   #37
Queen
Escapee

Oddometer: 24,060
I'm so sorry to hear about your dad.
Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:53 AM   #38
flipr
Scofflaw

Oddometer: 190
I remember camping in canvas tents... like it was my last camping trip.

Kodiak Flex-Bow 10'x10' (Google for more info) doesn't sag or leak, is heavier than equivalent synthetic tent. No, I don't carry this tent on my bike, my bike tent is a Springbar Outfitter 3 canvas 7'x8'.

YouTube Channel
MotoVlog
flipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #39
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,056
Canvas wall tents are a substantial business up here, for hunting camps. You can set those things up with a wood stove inside, and be very comfortable in pretty tough weather up high.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:03 AM   #40
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,406

Old 03-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #41
Range Motorsport
Junk collector

Oddometer: 1,652
I like my waterproof lightweight tent. I think camping is more like this, 15 miles from civilization/electricity/plumbing. Did the canvas tent thing until I was 7, sleeping in water was never pleasant.

www.upoverland.org
Range Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #42
Motornoggin
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 20,959
Last time I went camping was in Hot Springs, NC.

Made a bit of an ass out of myself, drank entirely too much, got rained on all night long and awoke from a drunken stupor in about 2" of water inside a borrowed tent.

Always liked the idea of camping, never liked the logistics, or results.

I'm thinking of buying one of those pickup truck bed tents. Off the ground, reasonably spacious, and consitant for the most part.

My Wyoming has an East infection.

http://motornoggin.smugmug.com
Motornoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:53 PM   #43
tkitna
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,652
Last time I did an honest tent camping trip was probably 1991 down in Canaan Valley for the Blackwater 100. Pitched the tent along side the A-Frame road on 93. It was warm when we left and I didnt have any camping equipment so I borrowed my nieces sleeping bag. My wife (then girlfriend) and her cousins rode all day and got drunkened up that night and when it was time to hit the hay, I got the sleeping bag out of the garbage bag and it was a Strawberry Shortcake sleeping bag that came up to my waist. Oh well, I was drunk and didnt have any problem falling asleep until half way through the night when it rained and dropped 20 degrees. I woke up in 2 inches of water as I was on the down slope. I could barely talk I was shivering so bad. I looked over and my wife was kicking her industrial sleeping bag off because she was to hot.

2008 DL650
2013 Goldwing
tkitna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:22 PM   #44
HighAlpineDrifter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 24,914
Backcountry hiking was what me and my brother did on our own. Camping with dad involved taking the camper down to Seward (or Homer or Whittier or Deep Creek or...), backing up to the largest most truck accessible piece of driftwood on the beach, dumping gas on it, and lighting her up.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:25 AM   #45
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,136
Camping with the family at Yosemite, dad rented those canvas tent cabins they had in the valley. Yes, those ones that have the hantavirus right now. I remember getting a long cut on my finger when my brother and I were throwing rocks over a barbed wire fence and I got caught on one of the barbs. I also remember the smell of Noxema on my sun burnt back my mom put on us to "cool" the burn. Parents had the pink Coleman cooler, Coleman two burner stove (still have it) and one of those dual mantle lanterns. I bought one myself 30 years ago and used it when we took our kids camping. Kids remember the first time they saw the Milky Way while camping in Mammoth Mountain and how they had to hold the prop rods to the pup tent during a windy night at Turtle Rock Park while on a weekend there for The Death Ride. Or cooking Dinty Moore stew and rice on the Coleman for dinner and Spam and eggs in the morning for breakfast at Big Sur. Good times.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: