I stay warm, beer stays cold.

Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #47
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Range Motorsport View Post
Did the canvas tent thing until I was 7, sleeping in water was never pleasant.
You're doing it wrong...

With an adequate stove, snow should remain solid or evaporate, there will be no standing water.

I'm still freaked out by kicking back in a 65 degree tent, sitting on top of snow.

Once you try a good hot tent, you'll never go back.

This guy makes the best.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #48
Grinnin OP
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
Or cooking Dinty Moore stew and rice on the Coleman for dinner and Spam and eggs in the morning for breakfast at Big Sur. Good times.
Dinty Moore! How was it that we packed that heavy gear then added cans of Dinty Moore beef stew for dinner? For breakfast we packed eggs in the cardboard tubes from frozen orange juice. Clean it out and pack with paper, egg, paper, egg, paper. An X of masking tape holds it all inside.

I REALLY appreciate my light and efficient gear. Perhaps more since I can remember canvas and steel.

But we didn't have tents like Askel's.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:59 AM   #49
Queen
Escapee

Oddometer: 24,277
I still take Dinty Moore for at least one dinner when we camp! It's for nostalgia more than taste though.
Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:01 AM   #50
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
My parents had one of the old canvas tents, and they would write the name of each camp spot on the tent with a permanent marker. It was 2/3 covered before I was born. The first time I went camping, I was less than a month old.
That's a really cool idea.

Man, if I had started doing that with my now 15 year old Eureka Timberline, I think I'd be out of places to write.

(I think I'm the only person in this thread who learned to camp with "modern" gear and is moving the other way to more "traditional" gear. )
Old 03-24-2013, 10:15 AM   #51
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen View Post
I still take Dinty Moore for at least one dinner when we camp! It's for nostalgia more than taste though.
Dinty Moore can fits perfect on the SteverStove. Cook it right in the can and eat up. A regular meal on my trips!

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #52
CPORet
I Am Kirok!

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighAlpineDrifter View Post
Backcountry hiking was what me and my brother did on our own. Camping with dad involved taking the camper down to Seward (or Homer or Whittier or Deep Creek or...), backing up to the largest most truck accessible piece of driftwood on the beach, dumping gas on it, and lighting her up.
That was the best camping we ever did. Lugging a 10'x10' canvas tent, coleman stove & lantern, food, dog, & everything else in a '75 Toyota Corolla wagon up and down the Seward Peninsula. Camping on the beach at Ninilchik and clamming, the Homer spit when it wasn't an RV park or tourist trap (late 70's). The Russian river, Seward; man I really miss that.
CPORet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #53
HighAlpineDrifter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 25,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPORet View Post
That was the best camping we ever did. Lugging a 10'x10' canvas tent, coleman stove & lantern, food, dog, & everything else in a '75 Toyota Corolla wagon up and down the Seward Peninsula. Camping on the beach at Ninilchik and clamming, the Homer spit when it wasn't an RV park or tourist trap (late 70's). The Russian river, Seward; man I really miss that.
Sounds like we had a lot of similar experiences around the same time. We actually stopped going to Russian River once all the oil workers started descending on it.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #54
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,637
Well, we always tried to go rustic and cook over the fire. How many carbonized meals we ate - never enough time to get a real bed of coals - flaming pans of bacon grease - eggs stuck to old fashioned pans requireing blasting powder, same for the potatoes.

Steaks rescued from utter inceration at the very last moment - burgers that looked like the charcoal...

A cooler full of soggy, soggy food, including wonderbread and jars of condiments floating around in the water next to the meat....

Ah, the memories!

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #55
Queen
Escapee

Oddometer: 24,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
Well, we always tried to go rustic and cook over the fire. How many carbonized meals we ate - never enough time to get a real bed of coals - flaming pans of bacon grease - eggs stuck to old fashioned pans requireing blasting powder, same for the potatoes.

Steaks rescued from utter inceration at the very last moment - burgers that looked like the charcoal...

A cooler full of soggy, soggy food, including wonderbread and jars of condiments floating around in the water next to the meat....

Ah, the memories!

I remember camping for a few weeks through Austria, Germany, Switzerland, and into France; during the first week our stores box (a plywood box my dad built) got left outside during an overnight soaking rain, the next morning all the canned food had shed it's labels... made for some very interesting meals in the remaining weeks.
Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:41 PM   #56
Range Motorsport
Junk collector

Oddometer: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
You're doing it wrong...

With an adequate stove, snow should remain solid or evaporate, there will be no standing water.

I'm still freaked out by kicking back in a 65 degree tent, sitting on top of snow.

Once you try a good hot tent, you'll never go back.

This guy makes the best.
Rain + Canvas + the 1980's = water in the tent.
www.upoverland.org
Range Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:36 PM   #57
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,364
Three friends go winter back-packing snow mountaineering. Pitch camp at 10,300 ft, way above tree-line. 1 tent, 3 bags.

Friend A find outs the bag he borrowed, while stuffed up small like a down bag, is just a rolled up very thin crap cotton Coleman! Turns out only two fit in the tent so I elect to stay outside in my fab down bag. (It was great, despite the wind blowing and it being below zero). I tell friend B he better let friend A sleep with him. No way! That's gay! Friend A doesn't want to share my bag either. That's gay! Well, to each their own. That night I hear friend A hitting himself long into the night to trying keep himself warm.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:40 PM   #58
Senor Siesta
Accipere Via Longa

Oddometer: 165
SPAM. My Dad loved to bring it on camping trips. Beans, hash browns, eggs, and that delicious SPAM.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:27 PM   #59
Hardware02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,211
Growing up, we had a tent trailer very similar to this...

...except it had a third bunk wing that opened over the hitch.

It had no amenities by todays standards...we cooked on a Coleman camp stove outside, perishables were kept cool in the old styrofoam "coolers" and light came from the ubiquitous Coleman lantern.

It was towed with this tank (Dad's was a darker green)...

Hardware02 screwed with this post 03-29-2013 at 05:33 PM
Hardware02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #60
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
I have no idea where I saw pictures of the wrapper set up like a hood, but I can't imagine that ever working out very well. Certainly not in the Eastern or Midwestern U.S. Those sleeping bags seemed to gain some weight when wet.
The "hood as wrapper" worked great. This was all before "stuff sacks," etc. Remember, this was all before "internal frame" packs as well. So it just went onto the fold down shelf at the bottom of your externam frame back pack. Packed much smaller than the old camp bags your parents friends put you in for sleep-overs. Maybe one third that size - but weren't nearly as comfortable.

The bag itself? Not so great. Good down to about 45°. They were the official BoyScout bag, so you may have seen it in the literature or catalog.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: