ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
drdfblackm OP
VeeFeer

Oddometer: 799
Anyone ever buy a bike from Canada

I am looking at a bike in Canada and I was wondering if anyone has ever went through registering and titling a bike in the states. I am in Flagstaff AZ so we do not have emissions and I can pretty much get anything plated and titled as long as it has mirror, horn, and brake/tailight. With that being said...anyone do it recently?? What was needed? Was it a PITA?

Just looking for any input or suggestions.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,155
Take a look in the Canadian forum in the regional section. I've seen it talked about a few time there.

Not sure what you're looking at that would make it worthwhile coming up here... Unless you really want a bike like my CBF1000.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
drdfblackm OP
VeeFeer

Seller is actually willing to deliver on the way to Phoenix.

It is a street 2 smoke.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
Scoobynut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdfblackm View Post
Seller is actually willing to deliver on the way to Phoenix.

It is a street 2 smoke.
If it's older than 25 years old it's pretty easy. However, if it's newer than 25 years old it can be difficult. There are some newer bikes that are 'exempt' because they are pretty much identical to the U.S. models. Even then, though, I think you need to get a statement from the (Candadian) O.E. manufacturer to import it. But, if it was a Canada only model, it could be a huge hassle. You'll have to do some digging at NHTSA and DOT websites. Or trying googling 'Importing a vehicle from Canada to the U.S.' or something along those lines.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Scoobynut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
drdfblackm OP
VeeFeer

Done all that searching on google and found a few government sites that had some stuff but I figured I would try here with the inmates for first hand info

The bike is a 1985 RZ350.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
I'm in the same boat. In my case I want a new GSX 650 F. I bought a 2008 leftover 2 years ago down here, as a short-term "interim" bike. I've totally fallen in love with it. It's damn near the perfect balance of sport & tour for me. Unfortunately, they've been dropped from the US since 2010. They still sell well in the rest of the world (Canada included) & they now have ABS, a real plus for me. I'd love to know what the real costs would be, to trade my '08 for a new '13 up in the great white north. The Que. border is only about an 8 hour ride from my house & if the numbers worked out, I could do it in a weekend. I'll be monitoring this thread with interest.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdfblackm View Post
Done all that searching on google and found a few government sites that had some stuff but I figured I would try here with the inmates for first hand info

The bike is a 1985 RZ350.
You're golden. The RZ was sold in the US as an '84 and '85 model year bike. The Canadian model is identical.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:33 AM   #8
CaribooBC
life is an adventure

Oddometer: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
You're golden. The RZ was sold in the US as an '84 and '85 model year bike. The Canadian model is identical.
Actually they're not. The US version had catalytic converters in the pipes so it would pass US EPA requirements. Added a bunch of weight and neutered their power significantly. Also in 85 the Canadian model had a full fairing whereas the US model made due with the bikini fairing.
CaribooBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:23 AM   #9
ZZ-R Rider
Captain Fantastic

Oddometer: 404
Not sure about importing Canadian motorcycles in the U.S., but importing pre-owned U.S. Bikes into Canada is a relatively straight forward process ... I personally know several people who have done it and none had any trouble what so ever ... my brother bought and imported an '09 Harley-Davidson FLSTC from Arkansas a couple of years ago ... a limited edition model (Firefighter Tribute), 1 of only 30 made for that model year in fire-engine red ... had only 1200mi on it ... he got an unbelievable deal on the Bike and that particular version was never available in Canada!
Old 03-23-2013, 04:13 AM   #10
hapbob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
I would

I would like to hear how this goes...I have never bought from Canada...
But I can see it from back Yard.

Hap
Hap
Retired USAF
hapbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:32 AM   #11
Scoobynut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribooBC View Post
Actually they're not. The US version had catalytic converters in the pipes so it would pass US EPA requirements. Added a bunch of weight and neutered their power significantly. Also in 85 the Canadian model had a full fairing whereas the US model made due with the bikini fairing.
It doesn't matter in this case (except as regards better performance from the Canadian version) as the bike is over 25 years old; all cars and bikes over that age are EPA and DOT exempt. Let us know how the 'new' bike works out, drdfblackm.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Scoobynut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #12
dilandau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 727
i've not done it, but only because my research into it showed it to be an (nearly?) impossible prospect for the bike i was looking at. But for your rz, you will be fine.

the only bikes that are "impossible" are years/models never sold in the US.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #13
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,107
I have seen quit a few canadian RZ350 plated in CA so I am sure it could be done in other states
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #14
rride
Honda NH 750

Oddometer: 133
I don't know how, but it is doable, but maybe the 25 year limit had something to do with it. Here is a 1981 sold on Ebay for $6100 (wow, in perfect condition!)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981-...#ht_500wt_1182

It was like the RZ except without the complicated cylinder head stuff that was supposed to be a benefit (but breaks quite often for thousands of dollars each time). The RD350LC above, in that shape especially, is the perfect 2 stroke street bike (run it 50K miles on one top end job): and it came from Canada I'm sure originally. From Canada, they seem to get imported into AZ mostly, and sometimes CA (but those might be second USA owners for either place). Good luck, but I'd be weary about Canadian bikes. Their winters are worse than rust belt states in the US, and I wouldn't own one of those, ymmv - good luck.
rride is offline   Reply With Quote