User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2014, 12:21 AM   #1
LevelCarnivore1 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
KLX250 for the lady?

My girlfriend and I love the outdoors. Camping, hiking, kayaking, traveling, etc. I convinced her to get an ADV bike with me (picking up my KLR650 january, its one i assembled, working at the kawi dealership). the dealer i work at has a 2014 model KLX250 left over that i can get for $5000. zero miles. Would she be hard pressed to maintain highway speed with me on our trips? Ive heard the KLX is a little revved out at 60mph, but i don't want her to begin riding on a $10,000 BMW SERTAO 650. Is the KLX a good match for her being 120lbs and 5'7"? maybe with a gear change, jet, and pipe it will open up more? id like to stick to kawis since i work on them every day and get parts at cost

been lurking here for a while, first post!

always had a thing for adv bikes, now with my rider course scheduled soon, i can get on with it! I'm hoping we can start traveling young, since it seems most people don't travel at 20 years old!
LevelCarnivore1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:29 AM   #2
UtahGuido
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,588
Sounds good to me. The engine in stock form is a little anemic but maybe you can source a 300cc jug through your work (if not the aftermarket 351) and give it a bit more umph. But even in stock form my KLX250 would do 70 mph. Had to rev it up to around 9K rpm to do it (I think it was geared down at the time) but actually the engine seemed to do better if you kept it on the boil. If you love Kawasaki I think you, and she, will like it!
Old 12-03-2014, 01:02 AM   #3
GBAUTO
Bambi Assassin

Oddometer: 77
I think it really depends on you definition of your 'trips'. With stock gearing and doing some of the simple mods to uncork the engine it can run along at 60 without to much struggle and still handle all but the most gnarly offroad terrain. It's a decent bike in stock form but like most dual purpose bikes it has to compromise to be able to run in both areas.
'03 SV1000S
GBAUTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:28 AM   #4
lobolator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Yes

I'm 135lbs and 5'9", and my bike has plenty of juice to keep up with my buddies KLR.
It is running up over 6000rpm at 60. My bike has happily done that everyday for the last 35,000 miles.
Try getting it for $4500.
lobolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:37 AM   #5
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by LevelCarnivore1 View Post
My girlfriend and I love the outdoors. Camping, hiking, kayaking, traveling, etc. I convinced her to get an ADV bike with me (picking up my KLR650 january, its one i assembled, working at the kawi dealership). the dealer i work at has a 2014 model KLX250 left over that i can get for $5000. zero miles. Would she be hard pressed to maintain highway speed with me on our trips? Ive heard the KLX is a little revved out at 60mph, but i don't want her to begin riding on a $10,000 BMW SERTAO 650. Is the KLX a good match for her being 120lbs and 5'7"? maybe with a gear change, jet, and pipe it will open up more? id like to stick to kawis since i work on them every day and get parts at cost

been lurking here for a while, first post!

always had a thing for adv bikes, now with my rider course scheduled soon, i can get on with it! I'm hoping we can start traveling young, since it seems most people don't travel at 20 years old!
If it is for "adventure riding" - aka no tough trails, just mostly groomed stuff, otherwise doing roads, you can go a tooth up on the CS sprocket. Right now I am running a 15/39, which is about as tall as it can take. I don't hit 6th until 55-60 mph, it will cruise 70 no problem. I will run it on dirt/gravel roads, but not off road, just too high.

The engine has known carb work that helps and there is the Marcelino Cam Timing modification that gives a bit more punch for no cost, just resetting the cams.

Of course pulling 120 lb certainly will give the little KLX a big boost when compared to dragging a 200lb rider too!

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:29 PM   #6
LevelCarnivore1 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
If it is for "adventure riding" - aka no tough trails, just mostly groomed stuff, otherwise doing roads, you can go a tooth up on the CS sprocket. Right now I am running a 15/39, which is about as tall as it can take. I don't hit 6th until 55-60 mph, it will cruise 70 no problem. I will run it on dirt/gravel roads, but not off road, just too high.

The engine has known carb work that helps and there is the Marcelino Cam Timing modification that gives a bit more punch for no cost, just resetting the cams.

Of course pulling 120 lb certainly will give the little KLX a big boost when compared to dragging a 200lb rider too!
i was thinking a tooth addition as well! thanks for the replies everyone
LevelCarnivore1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:26 AM   #7
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
i was thinking a tooth addition as well! thanks for the replies everyone

Go to the www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/ and check out the KLX250 in the dual sports section. There is a large volume of KLX250 riders who use that forum. Lots of good stuff.

Here is a Google Doc I have copied from another source on cheap mods

Here is a summary of the work to do the Marcelino Cam Mod.

Here is a Google sheet for gearing. You can compare speeds with different sprockets and tires at various rpm by changing the values. You will need to make a copy of the sheet if you can, since it is edit protected. You may need to actually set up a Google Drive account to do so. You go to "Files" below the sheet name, then click on "make a copy". Then you should be able to edit your own sheet. The formula cells should remain active.

Mark - klx678
Old 12-04-2014, 12:30 PM   #8
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,352
$5k might be a little high. But maybe not.

If highway speed means 55-60 mph, it will be totally fine as it rolls off the showroom floor in terms of power. At that speed, strong headwinds and very big hills may require more RPM to maintain speed in 6th gear - so downshift or change gearing. For commuting/travelling/basic trail use, the stock 14/42 gearing worked well for me until I wore them out. (I'm 5'-10" and 160ish).

Of course you can and very well might want to do many things to increase actual or perceived power, and/or change the gearing to make better use of the power. The only one I'll comment on right now is, depending on how good a deal "cost" is, the OEM KLX300R cylinder would probably provide a much bigger bang for the buck than a new aftermarket exhaust.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 12:57 PM   #9
dillon
Low Speed, High Drag

Oddometer: 1,657
I have 35K on my 09 KLX 250. In stock form it would do 60mph cruise no problem, but I regeared mine LOWER and wile to RPMs are higher I find it will actually hold 70mph now no issues. I run the factory 14T up front and Im running a 43T (up from factory 39T) out back if I remember right. Also mine is the SM and Im running Shinko 244s (3.50-17 up front and 5.10-17 out back). After the regear I found it to be a MUCH better bike, otherwise its stock. I say go for the bike, I have done plenty of dirt TONS of pavement and even some light touring (a few trips from Spokane WA to Tacoma, Seattle, and Bellingham WA and one trip over to Kalispell MT on it. One trip was a super slab sprint from Bellingham back home to Spokane due to a family emergency). The bike has performed GREAT. If the lady feels comfortable on the bike I say go for it. And in the future if you feel the need the old KLX300 cylinder and piston is interchangeable. When Im due for a rebuild I plan on using the 300 parts, and adding a kickstart as well.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:33 PM   #10
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
$5k might be a little high. But maybe not.

If highway speed means 55-60 mph, it will be totally fine as it rolls off the showroom floor in terms of power. At that speed, strong headwinds and very big hills may require more RPM to maintain speed in 6th gear - so downshift or change gearing. For commuting/travelling/basic trail use, the stock 14/42 gearing worked well for me until I wore them out. (I'm 5'-10" and 160ish).

Of course you can and very well might want to do many things to increase actual or perceived power, and/or change the gearing to make better use of the power. The only one I'll comment on right now is, depending on how good a deal "cost" is, the OEM KLX300R cylinder would probably provide a much bigger bang for the buck than a new aftermarket exhaust.
I think the best bang for the buck has to be the simple rejetting for under $100 and the absolutely free Marcelino Cam Mod.

For big bucks, if a deal was found on the KLX300 cylinder, otherwise either of Bill Blue's big bores will do it best.

Until then most exhausts just make noise, giving insignificant horsepower gains while usually reducing power delivery through the middle rpm range... although the KLX300 exhaust will do better than stock for power and probably boost the midrange a bit.

Mark - klx678
Old 12-05-2014, 11:52 AM   #11
zomby woof
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Is the KLX a good match for her being 120lbs and 5'7"? maybe with a gear change, jet, and pipe it will open up more?
I'm 5'6" 145 lbs and the KLX fits me perfect. I would do a slip on pipe, jetting with the factory KLX300 parts, and some air box lid mod, whether you want it off, or just remove the snorkel. That will make a huge difference in the way the bike runs. A 13T front sprocket will make it peppier and easier to ride. I would say it's a good choice for your girlfriend. See what you can do about that price, though. I can get them cheaper than that up here and bikes are usually more expensive in Canada.
zomby woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:00 PM   #12
AMa.
Topographer

Oddometer: 260
My wife has a KLX250 2012 EFI and the easiest way to get a little bit more power is to make a jumpwire mod in clutch frame. It unleashes the 8000+ rpm power. Without it I could make 100..110 km/h with it and after mod easily 125+ km/h. Otherwise quite decent bike. Great suspension for single tracks.

KTM 690 R 2012
AMa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:27 PM   #13
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zomby woof View Post
I'm 5'6" 145 lbs and the KLX fits me perfect. I would do a slip on pipe, jetting with the factory KLX300 parts, and some air box lid mod, whether you want it off, or just remove the snorkel. That will make a huge difference in the way the bike runs. A 13T front sprocket will make it peppier and easier to ride. I would say it's a good choice for your girlfriend. See what you can do about that price, though. I can get them cheaper than that up here and bikes are usually more expensive in Canada.

wish I was 145 lb... my bike would run way better!

Mark - klx678
Old 12-05-2014, 07:31 PM   #14
zomby woof
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
It would probably run the same, but feel a whole lot better

It was a lot of hard work in the gym, and some serious lifestyle change in the kitchen. I thought I'd be a bone rack at 145, but not at all. I may see 140 by the time the winter is over.
zomby woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:48 PM   #15
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,910
The KLX has a fairly tall seat height, what's your girlfriends inseam? Has she ever ridden? You might need to lower it for her during the learning stage. Although I've ridden for years, my WR was too tall when stock, for me to ride (30" inseam).

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote