Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2014, 10:35 PM   #1
decooney OP
Enduro Rider

Oddometer: 123
Short term crush on 690 Enduros, why ???

I'm in the process of buying a new 2014 690 Enduro. I have a question for all of you guys with the "crush".

I see this time and time again, in the past two months I've found eight or more 690s like this for sale with less than a thousand miles on them, and some with just a few hundred miles on them and people want to sell them. I don't see this with other bikes but see this more frequently than would have expected. I've test ridden two myself (2009, 2011) in the past few months.

For the all the research I"ve done, it appears to be a very unique bike and I like it quite a bit for what it is and what it has to offer, like no other bike today.

What is the deal? Why get rid of it so quickly, don't like what?

EXAMPLE #9 US Craigslist advertisement in the past 30 days -

decooney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:58 PM   #2
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,258
Several 690 threads here; many issues with 690's. Read them. If you want answers, don't be lazy.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:16 PM   #3
DirtSolace
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Sorry you're fretting on this......

I'm going to assume you already figured out the bike is a match for your riding Mission, Style, & Terrain. If you've studied the threads you know you've got some stuff to sort. I finally just finished my sorting (after a year) by replacing the Chain ring with a 48T (up from 45) and new chain and sprocket (left if stock at 15). My bike is Perfect at this point with 9000 miles. Can't imagine what the "sellers" didn't see coming when they made the purchase.

Best Wishes on your final actions...
Old 07-02-2014, 12:04 AM   #4
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 974
Buy a used Husqvarna TE-630 for $5000 and throw the rest of your money in the bank.....

As a friend once told me when I asked him......so how do you like your 690? His response......"it's the first bike I can't fall in love with, it's let me down on more then one occasion."

According to the KTM reps......all the problems have been sorted out?!

The new bikes are supposed to be nice, smoother motor, 2 spark I believe. Still lots of $$$$ for an oversized dirt bike.
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:29 AM   #5
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
..... I have a question for all of you guys with the "crush".

What is the deal? Why get rid of it so quickly, don't like what?
strangely, people have asked this question before of the crushers....right before they were seen buying a KLR = its crazy man crazy
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:00 AM   #6
graveltravelusa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Sellers

Expectations and reality are very far apart. Look at all the R1200GS for sale with low miles.
graveltravelusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:09 AM   #7
MeRide
Me like bikes!

Oddometer: 1,134
I've bought most of my late model bikes used with low miles. For example, a 4year old KTM 640Adv with 900 miles, 5 year old Ural with 650 miles, and a 4yr old Kawi KDX220R with only a couple miles on it. Lots of people buy bikes dreaming of the experience then don't ride them because they weren't commited or realisitic among other reasons.

Fall ride on a 1935 motorsickle
MeRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:03 AM   #8
Graniteone
3,2,1...Beer me!

Oddometer: 402
I am not sure why people do that. I do know I won't be flipping my new 2014 unless a better flavor comes along. Until then I am going ride the crap out of it.
Graniteone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:15 AM   #9
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,768
You have target fixation,the flea market is full of bought and un-ridden bikes,from DRZ's to 1190's to GS's with 5 grand in farkles and 1500 miles on them,impulse buys are common and its our duty to snap them up and let the original buyer take the retail hit.

(The 690 guy wanting 12+K for used is kidding himself,you dont get all your money back)
Old 07-02-2014, 06:21 AM   #10
Toors
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Wrong expectations - they think they buy an adventure bike and get a manic enduro type bike - it is huge fun, but with little practical application. It makes a bad tourer (wind, vibration etc (although) the 2014 is way better) unless you spend some money on seat, fairing long range tanks etc. It is not as good off-road as a real plastic.

So what you get is the best (medium) road worthy off-road bike, that wants to go fast every where off-road but does not really like touring - it also makes great short distance commuter.

a guy thinks he is getting another 650 GS (with a lot more power) and then get a hooligan play bike

I have one (my second) and absolutely love this bike. What do I use it for ?- Rally Raids, and extremely off-road biased touring. For long distance touring I take the 1190 and for fun in the bush I take the 350.

So why do guys sell them ?- because they think they buy an all round bike and then they get the best bike in a niche market...
Toors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:44 AM   #11
kojack06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toors View Post
Wrong expectations - they think they buy an adventure bike and get a manic enduro type bike - it is huge fun, but with little practical application. It makes a bad tourer (wind, vibration etc (although) the 2014 is way better) unless you spend some money on seat, fairing long range tanks etc. It is not as good off-road as a real plastic.

So what you get is the best (medium) road worthy off-road bike, that wants to go fast every where off-road but does not really like touring - it also makes great short distance commuter.

a guy thinks he is getting another 650 GS (with a lot more power) and then get a hooligan play bike

I have one (my second) and absolutely love this bike. What do I use it for ?- Rally Raids, and extremely off-road biased touring. For long distance touring I take the 1190 and for fun in the bush I take the 350.

So why do guys sell them ?- because they think they buy an all round bike and then they get the best bike in a niche market...

Very well said!
kojack06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:45 AM   #12
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 2,011
Quote:
it is huge fun, but with little practical application.
I don't get that. What makes it less practical than a DR650/XR650L, other than cost and complexity? It is 30 lbs. lighter than either one, has way more power, and based on my experience, is smoother on the highway.

I would think a light weight, screaming fast variant of the Japanese 650s would be quite popular. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who went back to a 650L after owning a 690.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:17 AM   #13
Auto-X Fil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by montesa_vr View Post
I would think a light weight, screaming fast variant of the Japanese 650s would be quite popular. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who went back to a 650L after owning a 690.
Yeah, I highly doubt you'll find that. I think most 690 buyers who bail quickly are either going to an 1190/GS big bike, or EXC plated dirt bike.

Those who go to a big bike complain about:
  • No windscreen
  • Vibes
  • tranny too narrow

Those who go to a dirt bike have a different list:
  • Too heavy
  • Too stiff
  • Turning radius of an 18-wheeler

Compared to a DR650/650L, it's better off-road AND on-road. And pretty much just as reliable. It's certainly not like the EXC owner going back to a WRR because they want to commute 80 miles a day without changing the oil every week.

Now, a 650GS owner - they might want more refinement than they get in this hoon-machine.
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:35 AM   #14
decooney OP
Enduro Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
Several 690 threads here; many issues with 690's. Read them. If you want answers, don't be lazy.

Been there, done that, for the past year solid, researching this bike, all years. Test ridden two KTM 690s already and think its a great bike for my needs.

I appreciate the replies by folks here on this forum, or most of them in this thread already - excluding yours.

BTW: The "lazy" one with no answers is the person who replies to a thread providing absolutely no value or help. Your post is an example of this.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:40 AM   #15
decooney OP
Enduro Rider

Quote:

Toors,
thanks for your helpful post. I sold my Beta 450RS, and will likely ride differently on a new 690R, and do the same as you with a future a 350 Beta RR or KTM 350, and my regular 1300 sport touring bike for the road. Or, this is the plan. I was not so sure about giving up my 450 for a 690, but my usage is different now after riding for 43 years. I want to be able to ride 30 miles on the road to the off road trail systems and then ride an hour or two of milder single and double track and ride 30 miles back home on the road. My days of MX and hairy single track and trailing bikes to OHV trail parks are much less now than my earlier years of riding. I think the 690 or TE630 mentioned would do the trick. Ridden both before. The 690 is an amazing machine and I don't expect it to do what a 350 or larger litre bike can do on the long haul rides. Thanks!