OrangeYZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by neepuk View Post
Air cooled
Liquid cooled
Two-strokes
Two of the most commonly compared bikes in this forum are the DR650 and the KLR650
Old 03-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #153
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,016
I've thought for a long time that KLR's should have their own sub forum.

To me the important thing is the bike itself, but how its used. Individual threads do fine for focusing on specific models and issues, but comparsions and contrasts are best discussed across threads in a melting pot style forum.

How about breaking it along usage? Something like:

Travel/adventure Thumping
Enduro/DS Thumping
2 stroke - non-thumping

There's cross-over, but a KLR has nothing in common with a 450EXC...just sayin'. Now a 450 EXC could be discussed in either thread...of course depending on how it was being used.

just a thought.
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #154
Baldy OP
Site Owner

Oddometer: 8,900
Changing the name to Singles sounds like a good idea. To me, a thumper is a big four-stroke single and has been ever since the BSA 441 Victors cast a spell on me at the hill climbs when I was a teenager.

I'm still struggling with the thing that I've heard so much complaining about over the years (and even in this thread), which are the megathreads.

It seems to me the fear that gripped people in my first post when I mentioned brands has blinded us to a possibly very clean solution. We still end up with a general thumpers (or singles) forum for all the posts that compare one bike to another or use forks off one for another.

But the model-specific threads go into brand subforums, reducing the noise in the general thumpers thread and making things easier to find because now you can have threads on transmissions for a specific bike instead of having transmission talk spread throughout the whole thread.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #155
B.C.Biker
mighty fine

Oddometer: 614
Soooo... my couple of cents would be along the lines of what ScottDill and some others have posted. If it does have to change the meaga threads could go in their own area. I like the idea of seperating them by use not by brand,size or weight. Truth be told , the bikes I'm interested in that have the big threads I would rather go to a different website that is for only that model.
ADV is still by far my favorite site on the web. Because of Thumpers and Equipment and Trip Planning. I don't have a woods weapon any more but because I ride 90% on my own I can ride at my max ability on single track and just give up when it gets to tight. I enjoy reading about others riding the tight stuff on proper bikes and the stuff they use. I own a couple old two stoke trials bikes but rarely go to that section. More likely to ride one across the field in a cloud of smoke to check a hole in the fence than to ride over a Volkswagen. Would I spend the extra time to check out two or more extra threads by brand or weight? Probably never, already specific web sites for that.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #156
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
Changing the name to Singles sounds like a good idea. To me, a thumper is a big four-stroke single and has been ever since the BSA 441 Victors cast a spell on me at the hill climbs when I was a teenager.

I'm still struggling with the thing that I've heard so much complaining about over the years (and even in this thread), which are the megathreads.

It seems to me the fear that gripped people in my first post when I mentioned brands has blinded us to a possibly very clean solution. We still end up with a general thumpers (or singles) forum for all the posts that compare one bike to another or use forks off one for another.

But the model-specific threads go into brand subforums, reducing the noise in the general thumpers thread and making things easier to find because now you can have threads on transmissions for a specific bike instead of having transmission talk spread throughout the whole thread.
Sounds like the best solution to me - especially since it is the one I was hoping for.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #157
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 950
The megathreads are good, some of them are over 2000 pages. That would equal a couple hundred different topics, with small issues that could easely be answered, but ends up in trollin', going offtopic ect.

Make a subforum for the megeathreads, with a link in a stickypost in thumpers. Also, make small guidelines for using the megathreads. For me that would be really small issues, like "how much torque for rear axle" ect, and for posting pictures of your bike, and stuff like that. Just small things that we could live without, but prefer not to
Old 03-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #158
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 5,957
Quote:
Changing the name to Singles sounds like a good idea.
So what you're saying is that I'm gonna be sitting there in bed on my netbook, all enthralled in a DR650 conversation, and Miss Valerie is going to say "Whattaya doing", and I'll reflexively respond "Oh I'm on the Singles forum again."

Pain ensues.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #159
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 807
This thread is getting tedious, but in case no one has said it yet...

WR250R and CRF250L have more in common with a DR650 than with a WR250F or a XCF250.

Just pointing out that capacity ain't all of it.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #160
Red Sand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Would it really be that difficult or bad to simply classify by manufacturer and be done with it?

And I prefer thumpers to singles. Let my wife find out I'm at the singles forum and she'll kill me.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #161
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottDill View Post
How about breaking it along usage? Something like:

Travel/adventure Thumping
Enduro/DS Thumping
2 stroke - non-thumping
The problem with this method is, for higher performce thumpers and the 250 class, it splits a single model bike into different categories . It seperates the Husaberg 70 degree thread from the 70 degree adventure traveler thread. Same thing for KTM 690 riders where some use for DS or rally racing while others for travel/adventure. Yami's WRR and Kawasaki's KLXS are both used for adventure and DS depending on the owner and the day of the week.
Sparrowhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #162
Red Sand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
The problem with this method is, for higher performce thumpers and the 250 class, it splits a single model bike into different categories . It seperates the Husaberg 70 degree thread from the 70 degree adventure traveler thread. Same thing for KTM 690 riders where some use for DS or rally racing while others for travel/adventure. Yami's WRR and Kawasaki's KLXS are both used for adventure and DS depending on the owner and the day of the week.
Then what about two categories
  • Thumpers (< 500 cc)
  • Thump Thumpers (> 500 cc)
That would help with the organization somewhat wouldn't it?
Old 03-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #163
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
Big Pigs - Porkers
Little Pigs - Piglets
Smoked Pig

Resistance is Futile
Wouldn't smoked pig be Pulled Pork?

I like: Porkers, Piglets, & Beanie Weenies!

HF :
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #164
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
The only question is what names deserve their own subforums. BMW, KTM, Husky, Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha?
Are you serious? That's the only question! And here I thought this was a town hall and we had some say in the matter.

If that's the case, forget about all the other suggestions. They are all dumb, and would be frought with their own individual issues.

Except the air/water cooled idea. That's a great idea! but it's still dumb.

"what names deserve their own subforums?"

All of them...
Many would scan down that list and realize that there are more than 4 brands.

You could scan that list of manufacturers and see what people are doing over there with that beta plated trail bike. Or possibly find another bike that you're interested in.

The way it is now, is lame and difficult actually. It's just so busy, and if you don't quite know what you're looking for (in thumpers) it takes a little time. I, we have to go back any number of pages and look, or exit the site to google it.

Take the Beta Thread. I would surely have read it if I knew it existed. Just found it while looking at the threads back a few pages to see all the traffic.

A few days from now, I'll be on ADV, and have to google beta thread Advrider to find it.

I would rather just go straight to bikes, then Beta, and be reading that particular thread 5 seconds after logging in.

Please include all makes that have single cylinders in a separate thumper manufacturers forum. I don't think the big bikes should have to share their space. It would just make it easier.

Thumpers, for all thumper questions and answers, research, debates, and look what followed me home, or shortypants type threads.

Thumper manufacturers, for threads on specific models and the different aspects of wrenching and fettling them.

It sucks that it needs to be split. I like happening onto a thread out of nowhere.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #165
Baldy OP
Site Owner

Oddometer: 8,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sand View Post
Would it really be that difficult or bad to simply classify by manufacturer and be done with it?

And I prefer thumpers to singles. Let my wife find out I'm at the singles forum and she'll kill me.