Baldy OP
Site Owner

Oddometer: 8,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle View Post
The way it is now, is lame and difficult actually. It's just so busy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle View Post
It sucks that it needs to be split. I like happening onto a thread out of nowhere.
I think most of us agree with both those comments, but it's a natural outcome of 1 million posts in a single forum, no?
Old 03-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #167
SigPig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
I think most of us agree with both those comments, but it's a natural outcome of 1 million posts in a single forum, no?
Yep, let's do this!
Old 03-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #168
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,908
Well if we rename thumpers to singles then have a models subsection for the super threads we could have double the trouble

What are you doing dear, ah just checking out the models in the singles forum

But seriously the idea of some form of limiting the noise from the super threads would enable access to the general questions on thumpers, I notice people ask general questions which go unanswered because of the noise from the super threads
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #169
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
Well if we rename thumpers to singles then have a models subsection for the super threads we could have double the trouble

What are you doing dear, ah just checking out the models in the singles forum

But seriously the idea of some form of limiting the noise from the super threads would enable access to the general questions on thumpers, I notice people ask general questions which go unanswered because of the noise from the super threads
^

24 of 40 threads on the first page right now have over 1000 responses.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #170
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,728
I'm definitely torn on this. The Mega Threads do tend to take up a lot of the first page and I follow 4 of them (WR250R, CRF250L, XT225, DR650) since we own all 4 bikes, but its a lot of work and diligence just to follow those 4 and keep up with them. Its really not my preferred way to keep up with those bikes, but I know those 4 threads exist and its just easier to keep up with them at this point then try to go back and find stuff. That definitely means I don't have any time or reason to venture into other Mega Threads, but sometimes I wouldn't mind seeing topics on those bikes. I would rather see more smaller threads in the "Thumper" forum overall if I was just browsing and looking for stuff to read.

I also am torn on splitting by CC since we have 3 bikes in the smaller range and the DR in the larger range. That splits me up between another 2 forums to follow.

I wouldn't be upset if the Mega Bike Threads were diverted off to a sub forum of their own and smaller topics remained on the main forum, but does that really change anything? Well I guess it does take the Mega Threads off the front page and allows smaller interesting Thumper threads to rise to the front?

The more I think about the bike specific forums, I don't think it would work that well and really if you divide stuff too much, I think you lose the overall feel. Sometimes I like catching threads for bikes I don't own just because I see something that interests me.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 03-25-2013 at 08:39 PM
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #171
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bake View Post
Delete all the damn mega threads. Enough is enough, an end has to be put to this.
Careful what you wish for there Bake.
The BIG DR650 thread has 14 million views, 75K posts. More than anything on the forum and more than just about anything on ADV period (except Jo Momma, where the "real" Adventure riders hang out ... and jerk off )

If you delete that thread .... what you'd get is hundreds of guys posting NEW DR650 threads, dominating Thumpers. As it is now ... mostl DR650 stuff stays in just one thread. IMO, that's pretty efficient ... and leaves room for other threads to breath and topics to get noticed.

If the ADV Search Engine actually worked ... things would be a lot better.
How about something as simple as "search title only"? I say up grade the search engine ... and make it more user friendly.

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 05:11 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #172
bill pierce
I don't wana pickle

Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintax View Post
Really though the whole Euro / Asian thing could work well.
and where would that leave ATK
Yamaha FZR 1000 (sold)
Honda Cr 500 sold
bill pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:21 PM   #173
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Subscriptions take care of noticing something in the super threads so having them clutter up the first page is a little redundant
Old 03-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #174
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn View Post
BMW thumpers go under GS / singles
KTM thumpers go under KTM / singles
EVERYTHING ELSE stays in Thumpers

Clear enough?
The split would be by BRAND not by the name of holding company that happens to own the brand.
Not really, Husaberg isn't so much a brand "owned" by KTM - it's more of a KTM with different graphics. Heck - half the hard parts on my Hussy have KTM stamped on them.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:30 PM   #175
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo1 View Post
I think Baldy is right about setting up thumper subforums for at least for the four Japanese, BMW/KTM/Euro brands, and also keep the general discussion. It seems like virtually all the big/mega threads are Brand/Model specific anyway and these threads eventually contain so many different topics they get way too convoluted. The subforums would provide the opportunity for more brand/bike thread topics, which should reduce mega/convoluted threads.

The general discussion thread could still be the place for most of the good stuff like "What bike should I get", bike comparisons/discussions, and anything not specific to one brand/model.
Over on Thumper Talk they have a million sub forums. Everything is divvy'd up. And guess what? It's a TOTAL BORE ... and everyone who has half a brain is LONG GONE from that shit hole of a site.

Sub forums keep people apart, limit discussion to one bike and work against "cross pollen-ization. Most readers won't be digging around in other sand boxes ... so they never get to know the guys there and when they show up ... they are often attacked by brand zealots ... or idiots.

There are already enough shit stirrers here who drop into bike specific threads to start fights ... but does not happen much on the Mega threads, more on smaller "which bike" type threads.

Wanna keep things calm? Ban Which Bike threads to a back water right next to Jo Momma. (the real heart of ADV )
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #176
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,443
Quote:
This is going to be death to my favorite "which bike KLR, Honda or totally-incompatible-Euro-exotic should I buy" thread

Personally, I think things are fine the way they are. Occasionally I'll comment on threads regarding bikes I've owned in the past but if there is a split, I'd never read those subforums.

I've always been impressed by how this forum has resisted the endless calls to split. I can only suggest treading carefully as there is no going back, above comment about Thumpertalk is dead on zzzzzzz.

This said, if I had to choose ..... Ned's <500cc, >500cc and (modern) 2-stroke would be my preference, Dividing by displacement allows the cross-brand discussions to continue, you'd kill those if you did a division by manufacturer.

crazybrit screwed with this post 03-25-2013 at 09:57 PM
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #177
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post

The solution to this is to subscribe to the Thumpers RSS feed. This gives you the NEW postings. Of those, the ones that interest you, create a subscription to (instant, daily, weekly), the rest you ignore.

I've not read Thumpers via the webpage in several years, RSS is easier than fighting vBulletin.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #178
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,244
Here's another vote for the cc split at around 500cc or so. Removing the smokers makes sense too. Also, I support the re-branding as "Singles".

I don't agree with brand splits.

One major help, unfortunately, would be punting tire threads to equipment, general maintenance threads to garage, etc. The best solution will be the one that minimizes moderation, and I'm sure you know this, Baldy.

And, lastly... I've been whinging about this for years, but the KLR riders need a leader willing to organize a KLR-specific thread index. Till then, we will just continue to clutter the forum with repetitive crap.

-----
EDIT: maybe that is part of the solution... have a subforum in Singles called "Make-Specific Indexes" or something where all the indexes are stickied and all the indexed threads are below. No new threads in that subforum and all the mega threads are organized in one place. Maybe it will motivate some of the non-indexed bikes to get with the program. As make-specific mega-threads develop, mods can move them over to that subforum.

This latter option could be used in conjunction with the smoker split and possibly meet the end that you described in the OP.

DirtyDog screwed with this post 03-25-2013 at 09:56 PM
DirtyDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:57 PM   #179
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,286
Quote:
Ye men and women of 1 cylinder:

You either have too few cylinders or too many posts, because 1 million posts is too many for one forum...
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:23 AM   #180
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Originally Posted by Baldy
Ye men and women of 1 cylinder:

You either have too few cylinders or too many posts, because 1 million posts is too many for one forum...

We only have one lung so we have to make good use of it barking away here