Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 02:50 AM   #181
Maxyb
Falling over slowly

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashmoto View Post
FWIW, the UK rally series splits 'big' and 'small' at 575cc for exactly that reason. Puts the open class enduro machines together in the small class, and the big, heavy thumpers in the big class. Probably not a bad idea for this forum.

I agree with this displacement split line as it keeps the smaller 450's/slightly-larger-than-500's together that share a common platform but you could also argue a 550cc split, which keeps bikes like the husaberg fe570 (arguable whether it's a heavy big bore or an enduro weapon...) together with the husky te610's/630's and the LC4's etc
Maxyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:04 AM   #182
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post
Just pointing out that capacity ain't all of it.
Agree! But at least it's clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSand
Thumpers (< 500 cc)
Thump Thumpers (> 500 cc)
My thinking is that splitting at 600 is better than at 500, because it creates fewer orphans on the wrong side of the fence.

500 has the problem that most of the euro thumpers are available in 450 and ~510 cc displacement (meaning that the same model, +/- 60ccs, occurs in both forums). Further, quite a few models are named inaccurately to displacement at this size level- KTM 500 (actually 510), KTM 505 (actually 477), Husky 511 (actually 477), etc.

Making the division at 600 eliminates this confusion without creating any to replace it (that I can think of). There are still orphans (WR250R example cited above), but less confusion.

East vs. West would also be a clear division, although it makes no attempt to keep like bikes together if they are from different regions. The clarity means that would be my second choice.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:53 AM   #183
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 1,113
I think the 600cc split makes the most sense.
Of course, there will be threads for the TE610 on both sides of the wall, but something like that will happen regardless of the split rules.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:57 AM   #184
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
agree! But at least it's clear.
My thinking is that splitting at 600 is better than at 500, because it creates fewer orphans on the wrong side of the fence.
+1
Old 03-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #185
b1pig
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 763
i'm with the group of keeping the main thumper talk forum...

then sub forum for BRAND specific topics.

newbs are gonna post in the wrong forum. it will always happen. i'm a moderator on two other forums. until a person has some time to acclimate to the terms/language/temperment of the board, those things will happen.

either a main forum with brand subs, or dont change it. thats where i would stand. 1mil is a LOT of posts. i hadn't noticed, but i can see why the searches i've been running have taken AGES... so either a split or an archived forum would be good.

a devoted soul could sticky a thread in the new forum to the more notable threads in the new forum.

and this thread has 13 pages.
seems like a poll would be eaiser to read.
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:51 AM   #186
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Archive the forum at a certain point/date, and start new.
Make that archive available for those that need to search past junk...
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #187
Huskyfatman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,171
Quote:
Agree! But at least it's clear.

500 has the problem that most of the euro thumpers are available in 450 and ~510 cc displacement (meaning that the same model, +/- 60ccs, occurs in both forums). Further, quite a few models are named inaccurately to displacement at this size level- KTM 500 (actually 510), KTM 505 (actually 477), Husky 511 (actually 477), etc.

Making the division at 600 eliminates this confusion without creating any to replace it (that I can think of). There are still orphans (WR250R example cited above), but less confusion.

East vs. West would also be a clear division, although it makes no attempt to keep like bikes together if they are from different regions. The clarity means that would be my second choice.
That sounds pretty good, and we could adress most of the orphans/crossovers by recomending the use of the bikes "model size" as a means of division. In other words a 577cc TE610 and 591cc XR600=<600cc. We'd still have some bastards like the Husaberg 650, but not many. All ten guys that own ATK 700 intimadators or Maico 620's would of course be stuck in the smokers section.

"YOU KNOW. . . . . .WE ARE LIVING IN A HEAT LAMP SOCIETY!"-Ron Perez 2002
Huskyfatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #188
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,258
Quote:

Perfect example of why a cc split should be 450 and above, 449 and smaller.

I'd add a KTM/Husaberg/Husqvarna/OldBeta singles section under Orange Crush, send the BMW singles to live under their larger brethren and leave the rest in thumpers.

Edit...where in the world are the three odderators of the thumper forum and why aren't they weighing in?
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #189
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 817
KTMs/Jap Bikes/Euro Bikes
Old 03-26-2013, 12:23 PM   #190
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,349
Race Bred (KTM\Husky\Yamaha YZ&WR\Etc)
Factory Dual Sport (KLR\DR\XT\BMW F650\etc)
2-Strokes

It seems you've got really 2 camps of folks. The ones that want a dirtbike that happens to have a plate, and those that want a bike that happens to handle dirt relatively well. A lot of the posts in these big threads seem to be centered around people bantering about someone needing to go KTM, so they got good suspensions, but in reality, the person wanted info on a KLR. Then you got a KLR guy telling a KTM guy that his KLR will outrun him on the tightest of singletrack at all out race pace.

These 2 different camps even tend to have different choices in tires, different choices in luggage stuffs, etc etc.

And we all know the 2-stroke guys are different, so they need their own place.

Andrew
andrewgore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #191
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,270
Orange SLice and Beemer/Husky singles in their respective sections, most of those guys seemed to like being in their own area anyhow.

Then big and little singles, wherever seems appropriate. I know there are going to be unhappy people no matter where you put that cut off at. I personally don't mind it the way it is but I get why it needs to be done. I'll just not look at the KTM threads I occasionally look at as often, no biggie for me.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #192
kyns
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
I'm definitely torn on this. The Mega Threads do tend to take up a lot of the first page and I follow 4 of them (WR250R, CRF250L, XT225, DR650) since we own all 4 bikes, but its a lot of work and diligence just to follow those 4 and keep up with them. Its really not my preferred way to keep up with those bikes, but I know those 4 threads exist and its just easier to keep up with them at this point then try to go back and find stuff. That definitely means I don't have any time or reason to venture into other Mega Threads, but sometimes I wouldn't mind seeing topics on those bikes. I would rather see more smaller threads in the "Thumper" forum overall if I was just browsing and looking for stuff to read.

I also am torn on splitting by CC since we have 3 bikes in the smaller range and the DR in the larger range. That splits me up between another 2 forums to follow.

I wouldn't be upset if the Mega Bike Threads were diverted off to a sub forum of their own and smaller topics remained on the main forum, but does that really change anything? Well I guess it does take the Mega Threads off the front page and allows smaller interesting Thumper threads to rise to the front?

The more I think about the bike specific forums, I don't think it would work that well and really if you divide stuff too much, I think you lose the overall feel. Sometimes I like catching threads for bikes I don't own just because I see something that interests me.
+1

There is nothing wrong about Thumpers at the moment.
Putting the mega threads in their own sub forum would be the safest way. That way the general Thumpers forum would not change at all, just more roomy, that the mega threads were gone...
The mega thread sub forum would't even need to be brand devided or anything, just stuff'em there.

Splitting this forum into too many small compartments would really change the way we all use this forum. I like stumbling in to interesting threads/bikes, that i would never read about, unless it wasn't for the way it is now.
kyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #193
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post
This thread is getting tedious, but in case no one has said it yet...

WR250R and CRF250L have more in common with a DR650 than with a WR250F or a XCF250.

Just pointing out that capacity ain't all of it.
I have to agree with you.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #194
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyns View Post
+1

There is nothing wrong about Thumpers at the moment.
Putting the mega threads in their own sub forum would be the safest way. That way the general Thumpers forum would not change at all, just more roomy, that the mega threads were gone...
The mega thread sub forum would't even need to be brand devided or anything, just stuff'em there.

Splitting this forum into too many small compartments would really change the way we all use this forum. I like stumbling in to interesting threads/bikes, that i would never read about, unless it wasn't for the way it is now.
+2

How about dividing the forum up by what we're looking for?

Showroom: What bike should I buy, bike comparisons, and bike reviews.

MegaClubHouse: All the 'owner's club' type model specific threads- model specific megathreads, 'pics of your ___', threads.

Riding and Renchin; All the stuff that makes this subforum great: riding, bike setup, repair (even the seemingly model-specific stuff). Since it can't be perfect, dump the tire and oil threads here too.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:34 PM   #195
Coyote Red
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
Big Pigs - Porkers
Little Pigs - Piglets
Smoked Pig

Resistance is Futile
I know I am new here but I kinda like this suggestion. The weight idea doesn't seem to be as effective to me as a split in say:
Big Pigs 475cc and more- Porkers
Little Pigs 475cc and less- Piglets
Smoked Pig (self explanatory)
Fat Chewing: General questions, non bike specific(tires, what rims, luggage things of this nature not related to who made the bike)
Coyote Red is offline   Reply With Quote