User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #241
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Thumbs down Leave us alone!

This is the reason I dont read motorcycle magazines any more. People to whom the motorcycles are secondary. The people and the bikes are All the important thing here , not division and new names. Leave Thumpers alone and find something else to screw with.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:31 PM   #242
ericrat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,126
Thanks Thumpers!

I came here to thumpers as a total noob looking for a 250 or more likely a DRZ400, ended up with a Husky TE610. I have been very happy with that choice.

My "use" case spanned 400 and 600cc, brand and country of origin. Only one data point, but hey it's MY data point.

I was unsure about splitting airheads out from old's cool, but that has worked well, I think for everyone involved.

Eric
Old 03-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #243
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
This isnt the same thing. Dirtbikes are more similar and closely related.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #244
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
This is the reason I dont read motorcycle magazines any more. People to whom the motorcycles are secondary. The people and the bikes are All the important thing here , not division and new names. Leave Thumpers alone and find something else to screw with.
So two strokes can post in thumpers then?

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:54 PM   #245
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post

ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #246
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,092
The multi genre thing is also why I hate to see it split up. I have a vintage Japanese 200 dual sport, a European 640 dual sport and a European two stroke 200 enduro that is street legal and used as a dual sport. Therefore every scheme proposed has me in separate subforums. Plus the guys I ride with are on all four Japanese brands. So I like running into friends in unexpected threads.

But it won't be the end of the world no matter what the Bald one decides. Unless, of course, he tires of the sniveling and pulls the plug. No matter what is done, however, the rest of it will only be an extra mouse click or two away. But what I like about this arrangement is that I have never even been to the Orange Crush, BMW and most other bike threads. This is one stop shopping even with my menagerie.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #247
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,533
I think one critical point that a lot of posters in this thread are missing is this:

Baldwana is seeking a logical and convenient method for dividing Thumpers into smaller chunks that are easier to moderate and maintain. He isn't asking which bikes we feel are most similar. To me, it's a no-brainer to simply split the singles by a number that is clearly stamped on the sides of all our bikes.

No, there aren't a lot of key similarities between a Super Sherpa and a 250xcf-w, but threads about them will simply be found in the same place. Is this so bad? Those threads are in the same place right now.
-DustyRags
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #248
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
I think one critical point that a lot of posters in this thread are missing is this:

Baldwana is seeking a logical and convenient method for dividing Thumpers into smaller chunks that are easier to moderate and maintain. He isn't asking which bikes we feel are most similar. To me, it's a no-brainer to simply split the singles by a number that is clearly stamped on the sides of all our bikes.

No, there aren't a lot of key similarities between a Super Sherpa and a 250xcf-w, but threads about them will simply be found in the same place. Is this so bad? Those threads are in the same place right now.
Point well taken.

The basic two options I see after reading most of this discussion are division by Make and the Model, or division by CC's and then Model.

E.g.,

Make & model
Kawasaki
- KLX
- KLR

Suzuki
- DR

Or,
Up to 250 cc's
- Kawasaki
- Suzuki
- Honda

And so on...

And as someone else observed (paraphrased), after a year the wailing and gnashing of teeth will have ceased and the noobs will not know the difference.

So it pretty much comes down to a flip of the coin.

IMO
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:00 AM   #249
Joe
Debaser

Oddometer: 1,724
To me it's unlikely that the Asian owners/posters are cruising the Euro owner/poster threads and vice versa. I can understand the noobs may find it easier when looking to purchase a bike or comparing models. So I think it comes down to who should be catered to the surfers or the posters? Why isn't this a poll?

Joe screwed with this post 03-28-2013 at 04:45 AM
Joe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:26 AM   #250
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,848
Don't fuck with thumpers, you will wake up screaming.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:58 AM   #251
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,460
Is this an early start on one of his April Fools Jokes???
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #252
SigPig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
I think splitting above and below 600cc's with 2-strokes separated makes the most sense.
SigPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:06 AM   #253
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
I have many more posts to read through, but if I had a gun to my head right now to make a decision, I think it would be:

- Rename to Singles
- Make a modern 2-stroke subforum
- Make a >499cc thumper subforum
- Make a <500cc subforum
- Make a model-specific megathreads subforum

But I'd be tempted to do the first two first and give it a rest to see how it shakes out with an eye towards doing the rest 2 months later if the world doesn't end.

I see one thread in the last two months about two strokes that got posted in thumpers. Just sayin'.

Where are the moderators of thumpers?
larryboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:45 AM   #254
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Oddometer: 1,571
What about limiting the amount of pages that can be acquired in a single thread ???

Most threads stay on topic for a few pages, then drift away only to poorly entertain the initial purpose of its origin. Cut down the limit and it wont get PW'd up for 200+ pages

Look at any of the mega's and try to find any specific info you seek. I for one do not really want to search thru 100's of pages to find the name of the aftermarket gas cap that I need for my KTM 690 enduro (just a weak example)

Even if you did separate the sizes or Euro/Asia or brand specific or other, you will still have to entertain the thought of the Mega threads coming into play. So how long will it be when there will be a need to further segregate that specific thread again ??
wiswoodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #255
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Oddometer: 1,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
To me it's unlikely that the Asian owners/posters are cruising the Euro owner/poster threads and vice versa. I can understand the noobs may find it easier when looking to purchase a bike or comparing models. So I think it comes down to who should be catered to the surfers or the posters? Why isn't this a poll?
Im not so sure about that.

What I like about the current Thumper set up is that I have the option of cruising thru the other brand threads. Maybe its just cuz I like/love all bikes and Im just curious to what others have/have done to their whips. I also love the fact that I can do a lot of research or help decisions to be swayed with all the breeds intertwined.

What i dont do, even though I own 3 KTMS, is to go into the larger Katoom thread because it is separated from the herd. If it were apart of the Thumper threads, then I would enlighten myself to discover more info on these bikes - but I find Id rather stick to the size bike info quest that I currently own. But Thats just me
wiswoodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote