Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #271
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
- Reluctant to post because they don't know what the answer is, or feel that their voices would be heard because their post counts are lower.
A valid complaint against the cliqueness of ADV perhaps but it seems entirely tangential to the proposals being discussed. I can't see how any, would address the above.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:17 PM   #272
tshelver
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
To me it's unlikely that the Asian owners/posters are cruising the Euro owner/poster threads and vice versa. I can understand the noobs may find it easier when looking to purchase a bike or comparing models. So I think it comes down to who should be catered to the surfers or the posters? Why isn't this a poll?
I've been on here a while, and still cross between Asian and Euro. Currently I have a Japanese dual-sport (largely built in China) and a Chinese-built dual sport assembled and branded in another Asian country.
My main US rides were Euro and Japanese, and I still hang out on those threads and forums.
I could go for a logical CC split, but then realistically a split like the 600 cc one would orphan a bike like the TE610 (575cc) from its logical competitors.
As for the anti-newbie flavor of the quote, I think that they are are an important part of Advrider, otherwise it would become an shrinking old-boys club. Likely that group is best served by something approaching the current simplicity.

Sent from my A898 Duo using Tapatalk 2
'06 Husky TE610 (gone)

tshelver screwed with this post 03-29-2013 at 05:24 PM
tshelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #273
tHEtREV
tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer: 6,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonR View Post
I'd Favor:
1: Factory Plates
2: Dirty
3: 2-Smokes.
Slight problem with that is that this is an international forum, and different bikes come road legal from the factory in difference countrys.

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:06 PM   #274
mario33
Howling around...

Oddometer: 145
Strikes me that ppl dont really know why megathreads arise. they do as there are no specific place for bikes extensively used/talked about.

On the other hand, I dont like the idea of brand/displacement split. I dont like the idea of 'perfect' split as there isnt any.

What I found useful while managing (smaller but still active) forums:
- keeping 'archive' subsection - DONT remove older threads, keep im in separate sub-folder in 'thumpers'; older means - after two years of anyone not messing with the thread - lock it and put it into archive sub-folder; cleaning once/twice a year only.
- create 3-4 subfolders for most 'talked'/used machines/types: like 'KLR', 'racers/motocross (4t)', '2-strokes' (2 more ? DR ? XR?)

Thats it - dont split other threads and leave it as it is, in Thumpers main body. Doesnt really create division and takes away enough traffic to keep it manageable.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #275
ganshert
not sleeping

Oddometer: 7,991
Quote:
I have many more posts to read through, but if I had a gun to my head right now to make a decision, I think it would be:

- Rename to Singles
- Make a modern 2-stroke subforum
- Make a >499cc thumper subforum
- Make a <500cc subforum
- Make a model-specific megathreads subforum

But I'd be tempted to do the first two first and give it a rest to see how it shakes out with an eye towards doing the rest 2 months later if the world doesn't end.
I think it would be a real mistake to split at 500cc as the functional split is somewhere north of 600.

maybe eliminate the issue all together and do this

- Rename to Singles
- Make a 2-stroke subforum
- Make a dirty thumper subforum
- Make a dual sport subforum
- Make a model-specific megathreads subforum

if thats still too many maybe add vintage subforum
ganshert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:03 AM   #276
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
To throw another wrench into the mix. I usually read the XRL thread[XR650L] , XR600R , XL600R , XR500R and anything else similar [All are same basic motor/models]. You have road legal and not and different displacements. If I read a title thats interesting I still read it whether its Honda , Katoom or whatever. Hey , lets call it Thumpers page 1 , Thumpers page 2 and so on.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:04 AM   #277
TimTowtdi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonr View Post
i'd favor:
1: Factory plates
3: 2-smokes.

+1
TimTowtdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:29 AM   #278
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonR View Post
I'd Favor:
1: Factory Plates
3: 2-Smokes.
Or how about
Offroad and Dualsport Thumpers, Street Thumpers, and Two Strokes?

Some bikes are factory plated in some countries and not in others, like the WR450f Yamaha.

Any division between Asian and European brands is bound to be blurred by Bmws and Husqvarnas built in China and KTMs built in India etc. Some of the big Japanese companies have manufacturing plants in Europe, and South America, so those bikes would further muddy the waters.

lamotovita screwed with this post 03-30-2013 at 07:41 AM
lamotovita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #279
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,262
Quote:
Ye men and women of 1 cylinder:

You either have too few cylinders or too many posts, because 1 million posts is too many for one forum...

I know... The regulars hate splits like this because they have become used to the way it is and the ones who got frustrated because they can't find what they're looking for in giant threads aren't here to weigh in. But it's still time, I'm afraid to say.

The only question is what names deserve their own subforums. BMW, KTM, Husky, Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha?

Everytime I come into Thumpers (and a few other forums), all I see are the same, extremely long and impossible to read threads on the front page.

I'd love to see this forum break up into the 6 (or 7) subforums you proposed, just so that every freaking new thread doesn't have to be merged into its appropriate mega-thread. I like to keep up with Thumpers, but the way it is now, I just can't.

AdvRider is serving a vital purpose on the internet. Yet with these mega threads, you're defeating its purpose.

Split them up and screw the whiners. They'll get over it.

It won't be too much Mod work, as Gadget Boy will do all the thread sorting in an hour or two anyway.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #280
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,262
P.S. Baldy, you're being waaay too polite about this. When Nate split up GSpot into Boxers and F800's, he didn't ask permission. He just did it.

The inmates didn't have the time to grumble, to create drama, and to post worthless, ill thought out opinions all over the place. They just shut up, and dove into the appropriate subforum.

These guys here, while they may not show it, actually DO know how to use a freaking mouse. Really.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #281
mogwai
humorless prick

Oddometer: 4,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post

Everytime I come into Thumpers (and a few other forums), all I see are the same, extremely long and impossible to read threads on the front page.
Brilliant!

The two KLR 650 mega thread have a combined total of nearly 10,000 posts. Imagine wading through that on dial-up?
Old 03-30-2013, 04:32 PM   #282
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,187
Since nobody liked my 300 pound split, how about rear wheel diameter?

18" and above. 17" and below.

(This would also streamline the tire threads situation.)

or

Oriental thumper
Occidental thumper
2 stroke singles

The cc split seems easy but there are too many messy splits. LC4 ktms 350-690cc, Husabergs 250-650cc, XT250-xt660 etc etc etc
dentvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #283
tHEtREV
tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer: 6,864
I think the most important thing is that we ditch the name "Thumpers" to stop people having a cry every time someone starts a thread about two strokes.

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #284
Huskyfatman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post
P.S. Baldy, you're being waaay too polite about this. When Nate split up GSpot into Boxers and F800's, he didn't ask permission. He just did it.

The inmates didn't have the time to grumble, to create drama, and to post worthless, ill thought out opinions all over the place. They just shut up, and dove into the appropriate subforum.

These guys here, while they may not show it, actually DO know how to use a freaking mouse. Really.
+1, just split it already. I can't wait for this thread to be over so I can go into the single shock/upside down fork/aircooled/under 399cc/over 350lbs/Euro/non-factory DS/17" rear tire/blue with a 5 speed section and whine because I might have to subscibe to a couple more threads.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"-THE DUDE
Huskyfatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:10 PM   #285
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,903
The thread what surprised me was the DR750 & DR800 owners thread with 950 pages, didnt think there are even that many owners out there
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote