Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,612
This has the potential of a megathread
Old 04-04-2013, 01:33 AM   #317
01Belgarda600
Bourbon Guzzler

Oddometer: 25
New Members View

As a new member I am still learning the groove of this site but have a slight idea just on this thread alone. Some good ideas and views here, and a lot of different points that could all point in the same direction, the melting pot.

Baldy as a moderator/owner can I suggest you govern the site and let the people (you being one of them) lead the trends. (I love the free world) So I am suggesting to not change the threads or segregate them at all, melting pots are the best thing for everybody, democracies can leave 49% in the cold. My rambles here mean, as suggested already govern the size of the threads to a number of pages. In this thread alone ever 4th page or so a new idea or direction comes along, so were do the mega threads lead? This way tech talk can be found and a bit of banter can be found filling the gaps, everyone wins. And no future back scares!!!

More threads mean more titles, might mean easier to find specific discussions, well maybe.

Thumpers as discussed are too diverse to categorize in every individual place, because they are so diverse.

Taking my age into account I always believed a thumper was a 500cc then up to 600cc then 650cc and so on, But never a 250. And now I would accept a 400cc. And you used them to go as fast as you can without hitting a tree on an off-road trail, and those views wont agree with everyone either. So as much as size matters it wont work to its best to separate them.

A split in ethnic origins is no good either, my mates have both jap and euro. I bet both owners are interested in the others bike.

As a past owner of several two stroke scramble and enduro bikes from 125cc to 500cc they are a different animal for some of the same jobs, you could even brake down two strokes if you wanted to go so far…

Maybe an open class forum for Weekend Warriors??? Tree dodgers like myself that is… In Australia we have recreational registration which would account for more thumpers than full road registration, then there is the countless unregistered.

From what I read it all works well and plenty of contributions, its a great site, just feel shorter threads would work best. Says the man with 9 paragraphs
01Belgarda600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:00 AM   #318
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Belgarda600 View Post
As a new member I am still learning the groove of this site but have a slight idea just on this thread alone. Some good ideas and views here, and a lot of different points that could all point in the same direction, the melting pot.

Baldy as a moderator/owner can I suggest you govern the site and let the people (you being one of them) lead the trends. (I love the free world) So I am suggesting to not change the threads or segregate them at all, melting pots are the best thing for everybody, democracies can leave 49% in the cold. My rambles here mean, as suggested already govern the size of the threads to a number of pages. In this thread alone ever 4th page or so a new idea or direction comes along, so were do the mega threads lead? This way tech talk can be found and a bit of banter can be found filling the gaps, everyone wins. And no future back scares!!!

More threads mean more titles, might mean easier to find specific discussions, well maybe.

Thumpers as discussed are too diverse to categorize in every individual place, because they are so diverse.

Taking my age into account I always believed a thumper was a 500cc then up to 600cc then 650cc and so on, But never a 250. And now I would accept a 400cc. And you used them to go as fast as you can without hitting a tree on an off-road trail, and those views wont agree with everyone either. So as much as size matters it wont work to its best to separate them.

A split in ethnic origins is no good either, my mates have both jap and euro. I bet both owners are interested in the others bike.

As a past owner of several two stroke scramble and enduro bikes from 125cc to 500cc they are a different animal for some of the same jobs, you could even brake down two strokes if you wanted to go so far…

Maybe an open class forum for Weekend Warriors??? Tree dodgers like myself that is… In Australia we have recreational registration which would account for more thumpers than full road registration, then there is the countless unregistered.

From what I read it all works well and plenty of contributions, its a great site, just feel shorter threads would work best. Says the man with 9 paragraphs
So what if this thread had ended before you posted your response? Where would your opinion be then?
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:08 AM   #319
01Belgarda600
Bourbon Guzzler

Oddometer: 25
If it had ended (ie it was full) and people still had more to discuss a new thread would be sparked up on the same topic and so on untill the interest died out. More like chapters than one sentence, maybe a bit easier to remember and reference?? Hows that sound?
01Belgarda600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:20 AM   #320
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Belgarda600 View Post
If it had ended (ie it was full) and people still had more to discuss a new thread would be sparked up on the same topic and so on untill the interest died out. More like chapters than one sentence, maybe a bit easier to remember and reference?? Hows that sound?
Sounds like more searching than now.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #321
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
This has the potential of a megathread

Maybe GB can delete it like the 690 mega and we can start all over?

larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #322
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,612
Hate to point out the obvious, but a major reason for the lengthy threads is because the questions and info gets asked and answered over and over.

Yeah I know to hard to search, but I have seen questions or supposedly new news posted several times on the same page.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #323
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Hate to point out the obvious, but a major reason for the lengthy threads is because the questions and info gets asked and answered over and over.

Yeah I know to hard to search, but I have seen questions or supposedly new news posted several times on the same page.
To wit, Baldy had said why he avoids nuking threads regardless of the age. I thought that would be a viable answer until I searched some of my brothers posts that passed last year. I am glad they were there.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #324
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,730
I hadn't read all hundreds of replies, but splitting up by dirt bike/dual sport (based on their use, not manufacture) makes a lot of sense to me. Maybe with a separate 2-stroke subforum.

Now where does my RXV fit in? It's a beast, but not a Beast.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #325
eldog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
I'm extremely new around here but I'd suggest matching things by going with the architecture you already use for two or more cylinders:

Bikes - Gspot
Bikes - Orange Crush
Bikes - Beasts

Thumpers - Beer Cans
Thumpers - Orange Juice (or Red Bull) Cans
Thumpers - Asahi, Sapporo, Spendrups, Kopparberg, Peroni, etc. Cans
eldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:39 PM   #326
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,640
1. We have used 'Thumpers' for years and many thousands of members and readers are familar with it and reference to it and from other sites.

2. Subsection; make ( Kawasaki, BMW, Suzuki etc) then models within that make.

KISS.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #327
Dorian
Xlg carbon footprint

Oddometer: 689
I got cross-eyed after page-13. Keep it simple I like all of the cross-pollination. Maybe archive the megas oh and give 2t's their own forum two strokes are not "Thumpers" (4-stroke single cylinder).

Good luck!

www.psermc.org

Dorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #328
ScramblerTom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantjt View Post
Mainstream aka Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki etc.

Exotic aka KTM, Husaberg, Beta, GasGas etc.

Other aka SYM, KYMCO, China bikes etc.
KTM exotic???? huh? apparently you have never been to an enduro in Canada - looks like a KTM convention. hard pressed to find jap bike in the mix. In fact you will see more husas and huskys than hondas and yammies.
-> SOLD then bought a 2009 DRZ 400 - on the weight loss plan
2006 Piaggio BV 250
1986 XT 600
traded for a Jet Ski!! taking up wakeboarding... was not riding it anyway
ScramblerTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #329
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
The only question is what names deserve their own subforums. BMW, KTM, Husky, Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha?

Yes

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #330
Huskyfatman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
Now where does my RXV fit in? It's a beast, but not a Beast.
It's a freak, a bad ass freak, but you should be banished to the bastard section with the other freaky multi cylinder, electric, diesel, rotary, turbine, hydrogen, hybrid propeled anomalys. That's what you get for having a cooler bike than everyone else.

"So I think the WR250R is a primo dual sport, especially for trout bums"-Jäger
Huskyfatman is offline   Reply With Quote