Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #346
jon_l
Southern Ontario

Oddometer: 2,641
The beauty of what we have now is one is pretty-much forced to consume opinions other than those one brings to the forum.

DR650 people mix with XR650L people, KLR650 people, and then the Husky & KTM guys pile on. Otherwise, it's like American talk radio - everyone listens to opinions stated as fact, that correlate 99% with the views they started with. A pat on the back, but nothing new, nothing learned.

I want different opinions, and get them here in Thumpers.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #347
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBiker View Post
seems like the DR650 thread is ridiculously huge. It should have it's own forum, no?
Various members (including me) have suggested this to Mods several times over the years. The Mods never even responded to the request. The big DR650 thread was begun in 2006. It now approaches 80K posts and over 14 million views. Most of anything on ADV Rider bike forums. Even more than some combined total numbers of all posts on all threads on some other slow forums. It's pretty clear the mods don't think much of Suzuki but love BMW and KTM. Always been that way at ADV Rider. Look at the original founders.

Once BMW got a 2nd forum and KTM got their OWN forum, DR fans AGAIN requested a DR650 forum ... or at least a Suzuki forum. NOT A WORD. Anyone who persisted with requests was threatened with a BAN.
I doubt Baldy had anything to do with this, probably didn't even know about it.

In around '08, BMW got an additional forum for the F800GS series called Parallel Universe. That forum is nearly dead compared now to the one DR650 thread.

KTM twins are lumped into one forum ... which kind of separates them and creates tension with owners of other brands IMO. But KTM and BMW singles are in Thumpers, which, IMO, is a good thing. Gives owners of other brands a chance to read up on the Orange and Blue bikes and vice versa. You'd be amazed how many former Orange and BMW owners have come over to the simple DR650. Plenty have gone the other way too ...

The good news about the big DR thread is that it does not take up a lot of space on ADV ... just one simple thread. DR guys start new threads from time to time on other issues ... and pretty much ALL owners of various brands do this as well. Seems to work OK. NO, you can't navigate it ... but you can't navigate or search ANY FORUM on ADV rider. Google tends to work the best for searching ... or if on the DR thread ... just ask. Very few folks there now but many are helpful and knowledgeable.

I have NO PROBLEM with the current set up and now realize it's actually better that the DR650 does not have it's own forum. We are not Lepers and want everyone to read our thread/posts and we read others too. This only happens if we're all together. Go Thumpers!

One big semi-happy family ...
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #348
brieninsac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Personally, l like the more drill down approach. I'd rather just follow things that are relevant to my bike. The more organized and concise it is minimizes my time on the site by weeding out subject matter not of interest.
brieninsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:58 AM   #349
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,768
I think you should have a forum for VOR.
That way I could connect with the other 3 people in the USA that have them.

Chris
'90 Kawasaki ZX11...'76 Kawasaki 900 Z1...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:50 AM   #350
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,053
How about if it was split in to two groups; one for single cylinder bikes, and one for people who want to be special?
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:33 AM   #351
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,534
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
How about if it was split in to two groups; one for single cylinder bikes, and one for people who want to be special?
Special like this?
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote