Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #76
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,438
breaking it up by displacement isn't right.... a hot-rodded KTM RFS bike blown out to 613cc has nothing to do w/a KLR or a DR....

you should figure out a way to nuke the threads w/the least amount of interest, starting from the oldest.... it's not like all this shizzit has to be archived for the good of all future posterity... it ain't the sermon on the mount, dig?....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #77
Baldy OP
Site Owner

Oddometer: 8,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesupreme View Post
you should figure out a way to nuke the threads w/the least amount of interest, starting from the oldest.... it's not like all this shizzit has to be archived for the good of all future posterity... it ain't the sermon on the mount, dig?....
I have deep scars on my back from the days when we nuked threads that we thought weren't interesting, only to find out later after the rider was killed or something that they were priceless to their families, etc.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #78
NCJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,079
Due to the mechanical rather than the.....mmm, cultural nature of our hobby/lifestyle/compulsion/whatever, I'd use displacement rather than brand or hemispheric origin as indexing points.

Would work ok for the various endeavor (thumper touring, for example) threads as well, methinks.

Thanks for the great work!
Old 03-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #79
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
I have deep scars on my back from the days when we nuked threads that we thought weren't interesting, only to find out later after the rider was killed or something that they were priceless to their families, etc.
boss, have to say that i'm impressed w/your integrity, as for the last statement.

i can't say that i agree w/it, but that's just me. i'm a jazz musician, and to me, when the stuff ain't fresh, who cares?..... but this wouldn't be the first time that my thinking didn't agree w/the mainstream, so i'm kinda used to that.....

i'm not a computer guy, i barely know how to post any of this stuff, so.... dunno how you manage w/all the info storage.... i've seen other forums that just start the 'new version II' of the same topic, and lock the old, for 'read only' purposes?... i dunno if that would help matters?....

i will say, and it seems that i'm not alone, that i really like the eclectic feel of this forum, and that's why i read it all the time....thumpers are visceral bikes, about gettin' dirty... if this was about polishing your new ducati and wearing tailored leathers, i wouldn't give a shite what you did here.... there's some nutty stuff, and goofball tech that should result in welded toolboxes, but that's why i like it, cause' it's so nutz.....fun to pizz off the monkeys in the zoo.... you get it all logical squared away, and it'll get boring....

davesupreme screwed with this post 03-23-2013 at 07:12 PM
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #80
DualSpaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
+1, Done by displacement you'd have Yamaha XT250's with KTM 250 XC-F!? A Mazda 626 and a factory Subaru World Rally Car both have 2.0 Liter engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesupreme View Post
breaking it up by displacement isn't right.... a hot-rodded KTM RFS bike blown out to 613cc has nothing to do w/a KLR or a DR....

DualSpaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:58 PM   #81
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn View Post
How about create a Single Cylinder sub-forums under the BMW and KTM sections and move those bikes there. All others stay in the old Thumpers.

Example, under the BMW section you'd have the Boxers, Parallel Twins and Singles. Under KTM you'd have the LC8 Orange Crush and Singles.

Pretty often already now newbies accidentally post say BMW 650 single questions in BMW area as opposed to in the Thumpers.

I'd say moving out all KTM and BMW singles out of the Thumpers would create lot of room.

Edit. I just did a quick count. On page 1 of Thumpers right now there are 8 BMW threads, 8 KTM threads and 24 other thumper threads.
Based on this very limited sampling, moving BMW and KTM under their respective brand sections, that do excist already, would clear about 1/3 of the traffic out of Thumpers.

Mikko
Best idea in the thread.
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:59 PM   #82
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
Ye men and women of 1 cylinder:

You either have too few cylinders or too many posts, because 1 million posts is too many for one forum...

I know... The regulars hate splits like this because they have become used to the way it is and the ones who got frustrated because they can't find what they're looking for in giant threads aren't here to weigh in. But it's still time, I'm afraid to say.

The only question is what names deserve their own subforums. BMW, KTM, Husky, Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha?
Yes
Old 03-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #83
Aghartha
Awesome

Oddometer: 340
Dump the megathreads into a subforum. 50 page threshold or something. That keeps the general thumper section moving and gives new and smaller threads a fighting chance, while also making the megathreads easier to find and search. No size split, no brand split, no location split, means less potential whining.

The massive bike specific circle jerks get in the way sometimes.
Aghartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:19 PM   #84
Bongolia
stop acting

Oddometer: 16,501
I'd still split European and Japanese (with a general forum for the don't fits)

If I want to look up a bike, or compare types, I go to the appropriate section.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:55 PM   #85
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aghartha View Post
Dump the megathreads into a subforum. 50 page threshold or something. That keeps the general thumper section moving and gives new and smaller threads a fighting chance, while also making the megathreads easier to find and search. No size split, no brand split, no location split, means less potential whining.

That's actually a pretty good idea.

Like everything from this page?

http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisp...ort=replycount

and maybe some of these too?

http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisp...rune=-1&page=2
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:13 AM   #86
kyns
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,580
Quote:

IF a split is a must, this idea so far is not too bad. ^^

But at the moment there are 13 "mega bike specific" threads on the first page of Thumpers, 13 out of 40, not too much IMO. And there's a lot of diversity, different brands, cc's.
It's not like Beasts were, when the BMW 800cc bikes came out. Jeez, that lot was getting annoying... there were propably 30 threads on the first page about the f800gs.
Don't see the problem at Thumpers though. If difficult in finding information here is the problem, then maybe a "Google Tutorial thread" stickyed at the top would help the lost ones.

kyns screwed with this post 03-24-2013 at 02:23 AM
kyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:44 AM   #87
dashmoto
Serial Tinkerer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskyfatman View Post
I think I may have been the first to suggest a 450cc split, but after reading some of the other suggestions, I think it should be bigger. I bet the KLR/DR/XR 650s, LC4's, BMW 650's, Husky 610,630,650's plus the other random 600+cc bikes make up about half of the posts. 600cc is too big because most 600's are actually 598ish and the popular Husky 610 is 577cc.

That coupled with the true deffinition of a thumper being 500cc and up makes me think it should be 500cc. The problem is that while an old out of production Japanese XR/XT500 would belong in the upper group, the increasingly popular Euro sub 550cc bikes being built right now are more based off of 450 competetion machines. We have the older KTM RFS 520,525,530 and newer 501 which are all 510's, Husky 510 (501cc) and several others that do not belong with the heavyweights that are very popular.

I'm going to throw out a 550cc split for thumpers and seperating the two strokes, makes sense as well.

Or how about doing it by weight? no, never mind!

FWIW, the UK rally series splits 'big' and 'small' at 575cc for exactly that reason. Puts the open class enduro machines together in the small class, and the big, heavy thumpers in the big class. Probably not a bad idea for this forum.

There's always going to be some oddballs, but if (say) I was building a monster engined EXC that crossed the capacity boundary I'd still stick it in the 'small' forum as it's more in the spirit of that.

www.dashmoto.net
dashmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:40 AM   #88
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,224
Huskyfatman is on to something

Lightweight vs heavyweight

300 pounds or whatever global equivalent is the cutoff.

That is a natural organic weight that everybody either wants to stay under for their particular use or, once breached, doesn't really matter how far over you go.
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:12 AM   #89
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,636
Quote:

Hhhhmmmm.....Thumpers and MegaThumpers......this idea has real merit. If "de-cluttering" is the goal, this could be a fairly painless solution.

If "better organization" is the goal, then displacement groups are the way to go, with three communal campfires burning instead of one: Minors, Mids, & Majors

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com

HighFive screwed with this post 03-24-2013 at 06:20 AM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:14 AM   #90
SigPig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
If you do the BMW KTM split does Husaberg go with KTM and where does Husqvarna go?
SigPig is offline   Reply With Quote