User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #106
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,947
European, Asian, smokers, and general.

It makes sense to keep brands like KTM, Husky, BMW, and Husaberg together given all the inbreeding. European manufacturers are also the only ones making street legal race bikes which are more and more being used for long distance adventures.

2-strokes are a category of their own because very few can be used on road, therefore, used for a unique kind of adventure.

A general category is needed for oil, tire, and which bike threads.

At some point electric bikes may need a home outside of thumpers.

I don't favor small and large as a way to split because many manufacturers use basically the same platform for everything from 250 - 500+. Further, many people would choose bikes like the WR250R and Husky TE610 for the same task.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Sparrowhawk screwed with this post 03-24-2013 at 10:33 AM
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #107
Baldy OP
Site Owner

Oddometer: 8,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
this, we need a modern ring-a-ding forum!
Hahaha. So it seems one thing I haven't heard any dissent about is a smoker section. Should we get on with that and see how it goes while we debate the rest?

Details: Is it a subforum under Thumpers or a forum at the same level of Thumpers? In other words, is a ring-a-ding a thumper? And if not, why would people be able to find it under the Thumper banner?

And what should we name it?
Old 03-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #108
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigPig View Post
If you do the BMW KTM split does Husaberg go with KTM and where does Husqvarna go?

Husaberg is just a rebadged KTM and now the CEO of KTM owns Husqvarna.

Big hornets nest to seperate brands I'd say.

If the seperation is by engine size it's got to line up with current racing trends...250 and less, 450 and less, then the rest. Two strokes don't matter, there is a place for them in Old Skool already...just go use it.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #109
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
Hahaha. So it seems one thing I haven't heard any dissent about is a smoker section. Should we get on with that and see how it goes while we debate the rest?
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Two strokes don't matter, there is a place for them in Old Skool already...just go use it.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #110
Brtp4
Do what you love.

Oddometer: 1,960
Accepting that splitting is necessary, in my preference, the LESS divided the better. I like the cross pollination and ability to check out other interesting threads, think of my next bike, etc. I don't want to just sit in "my bike thread", like the TT method. It bores the heck out of me, and also creates little cliques.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #111
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,559
Quote:

Details: Is it a subforum under Thumpers or a forum at the same level of Thumpers? In other words, is a ring-a-ding a thumper? And if not, why would people be able to find it under the Thumper banner?

To satisfy the purists, I think it should be on the same level as thumpers. An agreement will be made on what constitutes a thumper somewhere around the time the Ford vs. Chevy argument is settled. Though they share the number of cylinders with thumpers it's widely accepted that two strokes are not included in that description.

There are tons of things it could be named, as long as it's a humorous one I'm happy.

Quote:
Two strokes don't matter, there is a place for them in Old Skool already...just go use it.
Why? So people can get all snarky how a 2000 era 2t isn't Old Skool instead of being snarky about how only having an exhaust valve and less than XXXcc's does not a thumper make?

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #112
kyns
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad guy View Post
I think splitting would be a welcome change. As stated before, finding something in a 400+ pages of a mega thread is a major PITA.
Splitting the forum is not going to help you find something easyer from a specific thread. The 400 page thread would still be 400 pages.

I really don't get why many are so eager to find a way to split the Thumpers. What's the problem at the moment ? It's not Thumpers fault that some can't use Google.
kyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:03 AM   #113
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Quote:
Why? So people can get all snarky how a 2000 era 2t isn't Old Skool instead of being snarky about how only having an exhaust valve and less than XXXcc's does not a thumper make?

Just as soon as there is a direct injected two stroke it won't be old school, until then it's old school and already has a place to talk about it. There are street thumper threads in Road Warriors....do we need a street thumper section?
Old 03-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #114
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,559
Quote:
Just as soon as there is a direct injected two stroke it won't be old school, until then it's old school and already has a place to talk about it. There are street thumper threads in Road Warriors....do we need a street thumper section?
The same could be said for your XR650R then, it's a dinosaur by todays standards.

A bike is more than just it's motor IMO.

As to street thumpers, refer to my first posting in this thread

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #115
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Quote:
The same could be said for your XR650R then, it's a dinosaur by todays standards.

A bike is more than just it's motor IMO.

As to street thumpers, refer to my first posting in this thread

I sold those old relics and without an engine it's a bicycle.

Let's face it, two strokes are an extreme minority around here. I have two and feel no need for a specific place to talk about them, one is a trials bike and one is a drag bike with a plate.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #116
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:

A modern two stroke section gets two thumbs up from me. I never have understood why it is buried under Olds Cool. Well, actually, I get separating the RD's, H2's and such from from the rest of the rusty old crap. But KTM, Husky, Gas Gas and Yamaha are still selling them and we are seeing a resurgence among the offroad crowd.

Therefore I would love to see a new two stroke subforum under Thumpers. From what I see out on the trail it is Thumper riders on them. Smokers are the second hard core trail bike for a lot of us. Plus you might be ahead of the game if Husky releases the rumored DI two stroke dual sport or the OSSA turns out not to be vaporware.

Plus putting a two stroke subforum under Thumpers will annoy the hell out of all the Captain Obvious types that help pointing out they aren't really Thumpers. That alone is worth something.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #117
Otis357
Dirty Hippie

Oddometer: 414
Agree with the folks who say minimizing the number of sub forums and keeping the split simple as possible.

Under Thumpers - Sub forums for the big makes (Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Kawai, BMW, KTM, more?), General Banter and Other... maybe add new subs if theres enough grumbling. Separating by make should make it easier to find the info you're looking for and a general forum as a place to come together and discuss non make specific topics....

Skimming 30 pages in the DR thread just to pic out parts of a topic takes a lot of time. Id like to go into the Suzuki forum and see topics dedicated to bike specific electrical, suspension, engine, mods, etc... like in the index threads. i.e DR650 Suspension or DRZ400: Mods & upgrades

For the most part, I go in to Thumpers to ask questions specific to my bike, get and give assistance or talk about upgrades with folks that have done them and have more experience. Keeping the forums to makes, and the topics within to bike specific components (at least for the major topics) would give Thumpers some structure without becoming overly complicated and a bitch to manage for the mods.

My .02

Otis357 screwed with this post 03-24-2013 at 12:44 PM
Otis357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #118
Baldy OP
Site Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis357 View Post
Skimming 30 pages in the DR thread just to pic out parts of a topic takes a lot of time. Id like to go into the Suzuki forum and see topics dedicated to bike specific electrical, suspension, engine, mods, etc...
Yeah, so that's the problem I originally set out to address.

It's always like this when it comes forum split time: guys who are active on the big forums are the ones who can handle the volume & like the variety, and they're here to weigh in. Guys who go cross-eyed aren't here to weigh in because they can't take it as it is. But after the split, if you do it right, people generally rally around the new specialty forum because they can find stuff.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #119
Baldy OP
Site Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
I can nitpick every potential approach, but I think this is reasonably logical, and should help people find the right forum.

I would make three forums out of Thumpers:

Singles under 599cc - Dirty!
Singles over 599cc - Far!
2-strokes - Prehistoric! (just kidding)

My logic is that this makes cross pollination between brands easier than splitting it by manufacturer, and the intended use within these divisions is more or less distinct.

Sure, there are some bikes that cross over, but there is a lot of commonality in intended use by and large.
This too makes a lot of sense, like most things Ned do.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #120
Otis357
Dirty Hippie

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
It's always like this when it comes forum split time: guys who are active on the big forums are the ones who can handle the volume & like the variety, and they're here to weigh in. Guys who go cross-eyed aren't here to weigh in because they can't take it as it is. But after the split, if you do it right, people generally rally around the new specialty forum because they can find stuff.
Exactly - the folks who are really active have no problems finding info as they invest the time and have seen all the content as the discussions grow. Folks like me who go in once every week or two, usually with a specific objective, have a harder time keeping up with all the new pages of discussions and finding what we need.

Its a tough one for sure, and there is rarely a solution that will please 100% of your users. Solve the problem as you see it, and Im sure folks will adapt.

Cheers!
Otis357 is offline   Reply With Quote