Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 07:11 AM   #61
RuggedExposure OP
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,207
Once we pulled off the Duquesne Rd, we had to wander through some random roads to get to the border road.
We again encountered some tall bollard style fencing:

The closer we got to Nogales, the more hills we encountered. Here you can see some horses wandering around:

The east side of Nogales is incredibly hilly with houses nestled right into the border:

Here is an interesting spot that has been in the news as of late:

This is the spot of a drug tunnel (see the hole in the concrete): http://www.examiner.com/article/cros...ales-shut-down
and where an illegal jumped the fence during this political agenda last week:

We grabbed some grub and filled up the tanks. Here Bullitman finds an opportunity to mess with his gear again:

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:15 PM   #62
RuggedExposure OP
wandering the desert

From Nogales going west there isn't much of a border road because of the hills and valleys. We took Ruby Road/238 west from Highway 19:

I thought it was be pretty simple to follow this Ruby Rd and find our waypoints along the way. Turns out I was wrong.
This route was rather complicated and lacked road signs or geographical features, and we ended up getting turned around.

Once we passed the ghost town of Ruby, AZ we were supposed to turn by an 'Oro Blanco' Reservoir. We didn't know where this was exactly or if we had already passed it. We plugged the geo coords into my phone and Bullitman's GPS. We got close but could never find the exact turn we needed to take. After a while we decided to just take a dirt road that led us in the direction we needed to go.

This brought us through some rough country, creek beds, windy inclines and declines. At one point we got to a fork in the rd and pretty much flipped a coin on which way to turn. We made the wrong choice.

Many rough miles later it spilled us out onto a paved rd, but at least there was a road sign. It said 'Yellow Jacket Mine' Rd and I recognized that as one of the trails we had to be on. I figured out that we were on the wrong end of it and needed to turn back around and go back through the creek bed.

Ruby Road:

When I pulled up to this waypoint, I noticed Bullitman wasn't behind me anymore. We had been hauling ass through this stretch and there were some nasty sharp curves where you could really go off the edge. Where did he go to?

A few minutes later he showed up with this in hand:

I guess my camping fuel couldn't hang on anymore and made the great escape. Bullitman noticed it bouncing down the rocky trail behind me and stopped to pick it up. Luckily the container didn't break, but the plastic loop on the lid fell off and it got some pretty good dings.

Looking back at the terrain we had just come out of at Fresnal Split:

The road to the border from here was awesome. Soft dirt, tight and windy corners... it was probably the best stretch of the trip to race the bikes through.

It spit us out onto the border east of Sasabe, AZ:

Turns out there is a Port of Entry at Sasabe. This was news to me, because as we rolled along the border and made it to the customs building, they really freaked the hell out. I guess they don't see people on dirt bikes coming down the border that often through here.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:32 PM   #63
RuggedExposure OP
wandering the desert

When we approached the US Customs building, I decided it would probably be best to present ourselves for inspection just so they knew what we were doing (even though we hadn't crossed any boundaries). The customs agent may have s*** himself, as his behavior indicated so:

"WHOA! WHOA! WHOA! WHAT IN THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?!?" he screamed waving his arms and looking extremely pissed.

We explained our trip from El Paso to San Diego and he didn't seem impressed or believe it was legal. In fact, he made it seem like our journey was going to end right there in Sasabe. After smoothing some ruffled feathers, and pulling out some maps, we asked him for directions (and made him feel important) he gladly pointed out our route through the hills west of Sasabe through a section called 'El Mirador':

He also explained to us that getting to the top of the mountain pass was nearly impossible due to the road being so rough and washed out. Here is the road winding up the side of the mountain:

I guess when you work in a box all day, a dirt road can look challenging. I probably could have ridden my cruiser to the top of the mountain pass, I don't know what he thought was so challenging about it...

Looking back towards Sasabe:

Coming down the west side of El Mirador pass we spotted our first Saguaro of the trip. Awesome!

And soon after seeing these tall cacti, we came across a really old adobe structure:

An old fireplace:

The ground was covered with footprints from illegals going through the area:

Old 03-31-2013, 12:05 AM   #64
Ol'NumNuts
Getting Stupider

Oddometer: 248
I'm lovin this Ride Report RE....

Amongst the great pics and story, there's this underlying thread or sense of 'High Drama' as you keep revealing... Well, ... Exposed tunnels, cars speeding by in the depth of night, footsteps in the sand...

I'm hangin by my fingernails waitin on the next instalment....
Ol'NumNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:18 AM   #65
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Love this report. A Husky, desert, border ...
BobPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:06 AM   #66
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,606

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:11 PM   #67
Harder1
braaaap!

Oddometer: 55
Cool stuff RE! Lookin' forward to more.
Harder1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:09 PM   #68
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,710
Great fun being had by all it seems. I am amused by all the Border patrol freaking out that you report. It reminds me of when I was traveling in the Soviet Union and every kind of photography was forbidden by anxious agents of the state. Personally I'd rather go back to Mexico than deal with all that rigid officialdom on our side of the line.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:10 PM   #69
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Great RR guys!

Those old adobe and stone buildings are what is left of a Trading post called " Presumido Store".......Google it!
There is a lot of illegal traffic thru there!!!.........the last time I was there it kinda felt like we were being "Watched"!!!

Scott
DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:35 PM   #70
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,098
Great ride and excellent report! Love the insight.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:17 PM   #71
Ol'NumNuts
Getting Stupider

Oddometer: 248
Ha Ha, according to Google Directions I am only 23,694 Klm's from the Presumido Store...

That's 14,722 Miles- again that's Google Directions giving me a "route map" that apparently includes a ferry ride and travelling through Japan by road, as the quickest Journey.... Any Takers to get me some Milk?
Promise I'll have a hot steak and a cold beer for any that make the trip... :poke
Ol'NumNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #72
RuggedExposure OP
wandering the desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'NumNuts View Post
Ha Ha, according to Google Directions I am only 23,694 Klm's from the Presumido Store...

That's 14,722 Miles- again that's Google Directions giving me a "route map" that apparently includes a ferry ride and travelling through Japan by road, as the quickest Journey.... Any Takers to get me some Milk?
Promise I'll have a hot steak and a cold beer for any that make the trip... :poke
Ha.

I'll take you up on it. Just gotta ask the wife for permission.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:30 AM   #73
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,236
Is that the general attitude that the BP has about people using the border roads?

Geez, he's acting like it's not public accessed roads.
If you were not BP yourself, I bet he could have been much more of a problem. No wonder many people have very low respect for law enforcement and authority figures when things like that happen.

Maybe the guy was pissed as not much happens in Sasabe on the legal crossing ends of things and he didn't know to professionally react.
Anyway, I'm sure after your RR is done, he might be seeing a whole lot more bikes coming through. Thanks for blazing the PR trail for others to follow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
When we approached the US Customs building, I decided it would probably be best to present ourselves for inspection just so they knew what we were doing (even though we hadn't crossed any boundaries). The customs agent may have s*** himself, as his behavior indicated so:

"WHOA! WHOA! WHOA! WHAT IN THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?!?" he screamed waving his arms and looking extremely pissed.

We explained our trip from El Paso to San Diego and he didn't seem impressed or believe it was legal. In fact, he made it seem like our journey was going to end right there in Sasabe. After smoothing some ruffled feathers, and pulling out some maps, we asked him for directions (and made him feel important) he gladly pointed out our route through the hills west of Sasabe through a section called 'El Mirador':

He also explained to us that getting to the top of the mountain pass was nearly impossible due to the road being so rough and washed out. Here is the road winding up the side of the mountain:

I guess when you work in a box all day, a dirt road can look challenging. I probably could have ridden my cruiser to the top of the mountain pass, I don't know what he thought was so challenging about it...

Looking back towards Sasabe:

Coming down the west side of El Mirador pass we spotted our first Saguaro of the trip. Awesome!

And soon after seeing these tall cacti, we came across a really old adobe structure:

An old fireplace:

The ground was covered with footprints from illegals going through the area:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:37 AM   #74
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by conchscooter View Post
Great fun being had by all it seems. I am amused by all the Border patrol freaking out that you report. It reminds me of when I was traveling in the Soviet Union and every kind of photography was forbidden by anxious agents of the state. Personally I'd rather go back to Mexico than deal with all that rigid officialdom on our side of the line.
That's probably why this trip has not been done before.

After the idea 1st hits you and then on to the next logistic thought process, everyone just says no way in hell do I want to constantly deal with all that law enforcement day after day. What a pain in the ass, not to mention running into illegals crossing.

It's takes someone actually in BP to say fuck it, i'm going for it.
Rugged Exposure is kinda like Columbus the 1st time over or the Vikings.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:12 AM   #75
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
That's probably why this trip has not been done before.

After the idea 1st hits you and then on to the next logistic thought process, everyone just says no way in hell do I want to constantly deal with all that law enforcement day after day. What a pain in the ass, not to mention running into illegals crossing.

It's takes someone actually in BP to say fuck it, i'm going for it.
Rugged Exposure is kinda like Columbus the 1st time over or the Vikings.
I'd cut the BP some slack, I'm sure at times it feels like a war zone. I would worry about camping near the border and not from the BP but from the illegals. I hate the hassles of getting stopped in Mexico by uniformed kids carrying M16's.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000,, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, 1965 Bridgestone 90!
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote