I'm picking up the film rights to this story

You get two boxes of lurker popcorn, not just one
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #77
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Oddometer: 391
MORE MALT-O-MEAL!

This thread alone may compel me to start riding a bike like these...to my aged body's detriment, but still...
Ricky Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #78
Ol'NumNuts
Getting Stupider

Oddometer: 247
@Ricky
If you don't use it- you lose it...

Keep usin' it, I say.... :Grin
Ol'NumNuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #79
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Oddometer: 391
I'm hearin ya! I just dropped Rugged a msg about his bike, that is really appealing to my baser instincts, lol.

I've gone so far as to start doing my snow-skiing exercises again, seeing if the pegs will handle that kind of riding. :) After I get back from the MotoGP in Austin in a couple weeks, I may start looking. I just wonder about parts availability if something breaks for a new Husq. in this country? (my BMW dealer closed down this past Christmas... (110 mile jaunt to the closest one if I needed any warranty work done). Plenty of dealers about? Need to start my learning curve for this type of adventuring I guess...(adds a few lines to the bucket list)

I hope he hasn't run out of RR...
Ricky Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #80
RuggedExposure OP
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,200
RR will be continued in a few days, I had to go to town for a few days so I'm away from the computer.
I did get all the video loaded though, so expect some helmet cam footage with the pics.

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:04 PM   #81
Hucker
Lost

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
When we approached the US Customs building...snip... The customs agent may have s*** himself...snip
Quote:
Originally Posted by conchscooter View Post
Snip...I am amused by all the Border patrol freaking out that you report. snip...
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Is that the general attitude that the BP has about people using the border roads?
Gotta give credit, where credit is due...

Customs Agent, not BP. Guys wearing blue at the port...not green suits. . Surprised RE didn't chime in on that already...lol. No, I have no association to BP or the guys in blue, just figured I could help BP not take a hit.

Although I have almost been run over by guys in green looking for tracks and not on-coming traffic on the Montezuma Pass stretch. Bastards!

Great report RE!

Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:29 AM   #82
rapz
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Really nice report and enjoying seeing something many of us will never see. Great pixs!
Old 04-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #83
NTXLynn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Great RR. I grew up in Elp, was out there just last weekend actually. I really miss all the desert riding. Thanks for sharing, and can't wait for the rest.

Not sure if I missed it or not, but how long did the trip take?

Lynn
Old 04-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #84
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
that's a bummer you can't, don't or are scared to visit Mexico.
it's an amazing country filled with over the top nice people, awesome food & culture and natural sights.
the bad apples on the border screw up most people's perspective what the rest of the country is.
farther south the country is ALOT nicer looking than the barren desert border area.

Shhhhhhh ... We don't want to encourage just anyone from visiting and riding there.

Repeat after me: "Mexico is bad. No rider ever gets out alive. They hate tourists, the women are all ugly, and the drinks are expensive and watered down."

There, that should do it ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #85
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Is that the general attitude that the BP has about people using the border roads?

Geez, he's acting like it's not public accessed roads.
First of all, excellent ride report guys!

I am sure that the attitude varies quite a bit depending on location and individual Border Patrol guy.

Around here (Texas border between Brownsville and Del Rio) most of the Border Guys and Gals are pretty laid back but every so often you find one that needs to drink less coffee.

Because we have a river (deep in some places, very shallow and narrow in others) with a flood wall in many places the border is pretty well defined. In some places the remains of Military Highway run along the flood control wall; in other places the road is now closed off except to those pesky official vehicles. In some places there is no longer a border road or trail and in other places people's back yards are right next to the Rio Grande.

As long as you aren't trespassing somewhere you are free to ride and the BP usually just waves at you.

The guys at the crossings are usually alright but they do sort of take the attitude of "why in the hell are you in Mexico?" until you explain otherwise. And since it's frowned on for them to go into Mexico they are like other non-travelers, they hear all the horror stories and cannot put them into context. Consequently many times they are as interested as anyone else in hearing about what they are missing just on the other side.

Something that has been briefly implied here but it's worth mentioning: taking photos of the border crossings will get you in trouble ON BOTH SIDES. So either don't take photos of the security, or be very discrete.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #86
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
You've pretty much hit the bullseye. We are not forbidden to go there, but highly advised not to.
The bounty is up to almost $500k now.

Last I heard all of Mexico is off limits for active duty US military. Years ago it used to just be El Paso but things change.

The Texas Dept of Public Safety issued a travel advisory a few years ago advising against travel for anyone. Many of us cynics think that was more politically motivated than motivated by reality, but it puts the LEOs around here in the position of having to explain why they disobeyed an advisory any time they cross.

I did have a BP officer tell me once that he'd like to visit Mexico but that if he did he felt that his superiors would suspect him of something so he stayed in McAllen.

Helluva system.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #87
danhalen
n00b

Oddometer: 8
awesome ride report, living up in the northeast this makes me pretty jealous of you guys out in the southwest, this is what my ktm 640 was meant for!!
danhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #88
RuggedExposure OP
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,200
Once we left the 'Presumido Store' area (thank you DingWeed for the insight on the name), we made it back to the border road and pressed on west. After a ways we hit another mountain on the line that we had to navigate around:

Instead of going through this gate to an inevitable dead end,

we headed north here:

Turns out the 'road' I spotted on Google maps around this mountain was actually just a 2 track that BP had carved out following a fence line that zig-zags across the landscape.

Looking back east to the El Mirador Rd area:

Once we went around this mountain and got back to the border we came across another BP agent and talked to him for a minute. We explained that our next stop was Lukeville/Sonoita for fuel (running low), food and beer. He said that he had never been over there, but it was 'only about 20 miles' to the west of us. Great! We'll be there way before sunset. How wrong we were. (I'll get to that in a bit).

The border road at this point was another awesome stretch of twisty dirt that demanded to be driven fast on. So fast that I wasn't paying attention in one corner and completely missed the apex. Hell, I completely missed the turn.
Check out those tire tracks:

and on the other side:

Yeah, that's about a 10' stretch of tires in the air with the brakes locked and me pooping a little. I went clean across the road on that side too and through the ditch. Luckily I managed to keep it upright through the whole thing.

We continued on for another 40 miles or so. No sign of Lukeville coming up, and the sun was setting fast:

Here is a video showing some parts of this stretch: http://youtu.be/1pwrNGbJuxk

After close to 60 miles we ran into 3 BP agents riding in a convoy in 3 units. We explained our trip to them and they looked baffled. We also asked how far it was to Lukeville. Their response was "there is no way to get to Lukeville from here".

I had a suspicion that these guys were either idiots or were being dicks. Turns out it was the latter.

With the sun set, and darkness growing we told them we were just going to have to set up camp here, in the middle of no where and continue on in the morning:

Bullitman had been eating a little dust:

We began to unpack the bikes and gather some firewood for cooking. Too bad this evening didn't wind down into a nice, calm camp fire scene like we expected. We had 5 hours of absolute hell unfolding before us without even expecting it.

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S

RuggedExposure screwed with this post 04-04-2013 at 05:38 AM
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:07 AM   #89
mario33
Howling around...

Oddometer: 145
Old 04-04-2013, 05:02 AM   #90
PAJay
n00b

Oddometer: 5