Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #91
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Oddometer: 391
WHAT! I blew off a lunch meetup at a Thai place just to settle in an read this, lol......and he stops right before Hades breaks loose??? Well-played
Ricky Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #92
manshoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332

manshoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #93
#1Fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
Oh snap! Need to know what happens next! Arrrgggg!
Originally Posted by Misery_Goat
Everyone should be so lucky as to be able to ride a motorbike through the Himalayas.
http://www.facebook.com/numberonefan
#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #94
#1Fan
Studly Adventurer

Can't stand the suspense! ghead:
Everyone should be so lucky as to be able to ride a motorbike through the Himalayas.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #95
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
[QUOTE=.....We had 5 hours of absolute hell unfolding before us without even expecting it.[/QUOTE]

Oh, probably just a bit of desert wind blowing dust, sand in the Ichiban, and ran out of booze .....

But maybe something else?????

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #96
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,606

Must have been a real toad strangler! That means it rained like hell (for all you Yankees).

But eh...what do I now.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #97
RuggedExposure OP
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,207
Sorry to leave everyone hanging, my schedule has been crazy.

Back to the RR:

We began to unpack our crap to set up camp for the night. Both of us were dead tired, beaten from the sun, trail and vegetation. And we were plain exhausted from the past few days of riding and getting lost in the desert.

Just when it seemed like we could rest for the evening, we were again visited by the 3 BP agents.
The main guy pulled his unit up to us and said "Alright, here's the deal..."
(FYI, when someone says that to you, they're not really bargaining with you, and you're probably not going to like their next statement)

"Our supervisor said you can't stay here because this is the Tohono O'odham Indian Reservation and they're a sovereign nation so they have their own laws and regs. So you have to go."

Me: "...Right. So if they're a sovereign nation, why are you enforcing their laws?"

At this point I got a nasty look and they asked for me and Bullitman's identification so they could run checks on us. Obviously a sense of humor is not issued out at the Ajo BP station.

I tried one more plea deal with them to see if they would just leave us alone. I explained that Bullitman had left his Rx glasses at home and the only pair he had were tinted sunglasses so it was probably not the safest to be riding at night, plus we were almost out of gas so getting lost in the dark might jeopardize us even more.

Then they began questioning us about our intended route. I explained that we had seen a trail going through the mountain range to the west of us that would drop down to the border road and take us straight to Lukeville and from there we would head to Yuma. Again they began arguing with me that there was no possible way through the hills to get us to the west. I pulled out my topographical map and showed them our planned path.

The quieter agent chirped up "Oh! They must be talking about Ali-way".

The two other agents gave him a look like he had best shut up. At this point I realized that these guys were indeed going out of their way to mess with us and be assholes.

But me being a persistent kind of person, kept asking about this 'Ali-way' that the other agent brought up.

They began to tell us stories about they they don't patrol 'Ali-way' because of scouts, rip crews and armed military incursions (Mexican military). Supposedly this area is so dangerous that no one goes through there except for the drug traffickers armed with AK-47s and its way too dangerous for BP agents.

...right.

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #98
His Pistolship
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Oddometer: 395
Interested to hear what happens next...
His Pistolship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #99
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by His Pistolship View Post
Interested to hear what happens next...

"Devil's Highway" is a very interesting book on immigration and the border patrol in that sector, good read.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000,, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, 1965 Bridgestone 90!
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #100
RuggedExposure OP
wandering the desert

The agents continued to argue with me about a two track trail going through the hills to the west of us. I asked why it wasn't possible to navigate through there.

"Because it's too rough" they answered. I asked them to clarify what that meant. One agent then said "Its too steep to go through there, you can't even hike it on foot". I showed him my topographical map and showed him our route had no elevation changes. So where are these steep parts you speak of?

Then the truth came out.

"Well... we've actually never been in there before. But we know there's no road going through."

I was satisfied to leave the 'Ali-way' route out of the conversation at this point. They proceeded to explain that we needed to go another 10 miles along the border, up over a ridge and down to the village of Menager's Dam. From there we needed to take BIA Route-1 north all the way to Why, AZ. If we still wanted to go to Lukeville we could drive to it from there.

This was incredibly frustrating for me to deal with. Now we're adding miles for no reason, and the possibility of running out of fuel seemed certain. Plus we would also have to deal with avoiding the Tohono O'odham law enforcement while traveling through the 'sovereign nation' since they would consider us trespassing.

Then I asked them about gas. I was almost to reserve and at this point Bullitman had used all of his emergency gas and I only had 1gal left for both of our bikes. They said we could get gas at a place 40 miles down the road on the way to Why, AZ.

I decided it was best to be fully compliant at this juncture just so we could get away from these 'tards.

Once everything was packed onto the bikes and we had gotten our ID's back, they verified with us 3 times that we were going to Menager's Dam, then Route-1 north to Why. We told them that seems like the only way and would be be leaving now. The main agent we were dealing with said "Oh, we had to alert everyone that you were out here, just for everyone's safety". By 'everyone' he meant the BIA Indian Police.

Lovely.

So we set off again, tired as Hell, Bullitman having a hard time seeing with his sunglasses on, and wondering when/if we would get to sleep tonight.

Sorry for the lack of pics in this section, it was pitch black out so photography was pretty much pointless.

Here is some helmet came footage though: http://youtu.be/Ibw6txToC64

Old 04-04-2013, 09:20 PM   #101
RuggedExposure OP
wandering the desert

In the video you can see the lights from Menager's Dam once we pulled up to the top of the ridge.

We made our way down the jeep trail and stopped short of the village.

I told Bullitman: "Alright. Two conditions have to be met. As long as we don't see any Indian Police, and there is no locked gate on the entrance to that jeep trail, we're going through the mountains."

He agreed with me. We could both sense that someone was after us. It could have been the BP agent's persistence of making sure we headed north on BIA Route-1, or the fact that they called the BIA Indian Police. Either way, we knew we had to haul ass and get off the pavement as quick as possible.

We then entered the village at Menager's, rolling slowly and quietly. Good thing neither of us had exhaust systems on the bikes.

Once we wandered through the village and onto Route-1, we took what we thought was the jeep trail leading us through the hills. Turns out the adrenaline made us think we had gone further up the road then we actually did. The latter part of the video shows us taking a jeep trail that petered out into nothing, and then we got turned around and couldn't even find our own tracks taking us back to the highway.

Bullitman used his GPS to guide us back to the jeep trail and back to Route-1. But coming down from the hills, I could see headlights coming from the north and we shut off our bikes and waited in the dark.

It was a creepy silence sitting there in the dark, waiting to see what this vehicle did. No birds, no crickets, nothing. Not even a breeze.

We were about .75 miles off the road, and we hoped that was far enough to not be spotted.
The vehicle slowly drove down Route-1, then turned around just north of Menager's. At this point it turned on its alley lights and drove north at a slow speed.

Here we realized that they were looking for us. No one would drive 40 miles out of their way just to turn around and slow roll it north with the searchlights on unless they were looking for something.

We waited for the vehicle to get out of sight then sat in the dark for another 15 minutes just to make sure.

Once we felt the coast was clear, we got back on the pavement and rode side by side, so our headlights would simulate a car. We were definitely running on fear and adrenaline at this point.

About 3 miles up the road we found our jeep trail that I had mapped out. My fuel light had been on since we left Agent Asshole and his friends, and now I was sure I was going to run out of gas unless I used my emergency reserve. Sure enough, a mile into the trail the bike quit.

With flashlights on low power, we emptied the fuel into my bike and continued on. Every now and then we would stop to try and see the mountains in the dark to compare it to the topographical features on the map. We agreed that we would stop and sleep once we got off the Indian Reservation.

The trail was filled with rocks and steep washouts, and was bumpier than driving through a pumpkin patch. It seemed to wind on forever in the dark. After climbing a rather steep and rocky hill, we decided this would be a good spot to sleep for the night. The words of the BP agents still rang in our ears about Mexicans with AK-47s roaming the hills.

Here are the mountains we went through:

The red dot is where we camped in the night:

With the thought of Indian Police behind us, and Mexican Military/smugglers all around us, we didn't even bother setting up the tents. Sleeping bags on the ground and Glocks by our sides, we finally got to sleep after 1am.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #102
#1Fan
Studly Adventurer

Holy shit! Fun times!
Old 04-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #103
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,771
this is really cool.
i just started reading it but thanks for posting. very cool ride idea.

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:54 PM   #104
His Pistolship
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Oddometer: 395
You guys are dawgs.
His Pistolship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:43 AM   #105
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,246
Wow, that just gave me a second reason to install a switch to disable my lights on the Husky: Riding stealth.

Sounds like one hell of a night.