ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #76
Tailwheel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
bring tent stakes

it was blowing so hard at Echo Park my free standing tent wouldn't stay put, and I hardly ever bring stakes - had to borrow some

Just remember that tents aren't the only things that may need to be tied down .

...and then there was the Point of Pines.

My daughter is also graduating...from CSU...the week before the Run. I hope to make it for at least part of the trip.

I'll be pounding the ground hard in this area in May as part of a work project....so I can help out in scouting out routes, conditions, etc. There are many neat riding areas that few here have even heard of.
Tailwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:53 PM   #77
TheMuffinMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,594
In

Yes, do not trust Geek's descriptions of the terrain .
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
'12 690 Enduro // 690 Wiki
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #78
Nmunro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Room for a canadian ?

I would like to be In..Any idea when we will see more info ?
“I’ve always wanted to sail to the south seas, but I can’t afford it.” What these men can’t afford is not to go. They are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of “security.” And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine – and before we know it our lives are gone. - Sterling Hayden
Nmunro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #79
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,147
Sorry we've reached our single Canadian capacity

Just kidding (I'm canadian too btw.. )

Here's a general outline of how this thread will work and how the ride will work.
You can get the general idea from the previous year's threads (linked in the first post) of what is to expect.

The Start:
The general idea is be at Norm's house in Craig Colorado on Thursday night. We camp in his back 40.. drink beer and relax. I'm sure Norm will post up his location - but you can find it in the 2012 thread. The ride officially starts Friday morning from Craig Colorado - some folks join up Friday.

Route:
TBD. Before the ride I will have specific GPX / route files available for download.
They won't be available until I get time to do them. Usually early May.
There are never any promises on the route - somehow it always ends up working out pretty well but you might want to bring fencing pliers because I can't see locked gates on Google Earth
That said; I've put together enough of these now that I have a general idea of what's doable.
Remember: When in doubt - the gate's combination is 5000.

Teams:
The first couple of years the ride was small enough we could all ride together. As the ride has grown, there is no way we can all ride together as we have large distances to cover and it takes too long with a mass group. At some point in this thread we'll put out a Team Roll-call. We'll try and break up into teams of 5 or so riders. Last year we had 3 or 4 teams.. it varied day to day as people regrouped. Teams are responsible for themselves - nobody else. That way everyone isn't waiting on me when I'm changing out my fuel pump on the Yampa Bench (again ). Teams can change day to day and even during the day as long as everyone understands who is in what team and at all times everyone is accounted for. We are going to end up in some pretty remote areas and the last thing we want is to be sitting around camp that night and have someone go "Hey? Has anyone seen MuffinMan?"
Note: If you are on an F800, do NOT ride with the Wolfpack team... even if they offer you bacon.
They blame "that shit" on me but it wasn't my fault Chuckles can't ride in knee deep sand

Friday:
Friday morning we get going and the adventure begins! The ride gets less and less structured as it goes. Friday we tend to have a defined route everyone follows and friday night we all have a defined camping location together.
Friday's riding is also the easiest as in it has the least variables.

Saturday: Saturday's route usually has a couple of options... a harder option and an easier option. The issue that you hear everyone saying "don't trust Geek's routing!" with is that I don't really know which is the harder option and which is the easier option... so you pick yer poison and you take your chances
Saturday night we all camp together again.

Sunday: By Sunday.. a couple of days on the road have kicked in and often many folks head home due to Memorial Day obligations. I'll have a "suggested route" and a "suggested camp site" for Sunday night. There's a good chance everyone remaining to ride Sunday will be able to ride together. Sunday's campsite usually ends up as "this looks like a good place!" after we have spent the day thoroughly lost.
Sunday is often my favorite day... we say "lets go south and try and find a way down the book cliffs" and really boon dock it... riding dry river beds, washes, fields, etc - kinda like riding across mongolia - roads/routes are optional
this photo was where we camped last time (and I couldn't find that campsite again if you asked me - it was that random )

Monday: Everyone heads from Sunday's location home.
Those with no obligation might wanna continue on to Moab

Geek screwed with this post 03-26-2013 at 02:48 PM
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #80
KawaYamaSaki Ho
Reality burns!

Oddometer: 256
?werdafuqawhee?

Jesus Crimminy this sounds like the perfect ?DONDE ESTOY? translation werdafuqawhee trip. I think I might just need to
get bigger JUGS and take the WR. The KLR is getting like 1 quart per 200 miles. Everyone thinks it's a 2 - smoke.
KawaYamaSaki Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #81
nwcolorider
NWCOLO

Oddometer: 2,097
Everyone is welcome to camp here the night before. I will have some some beer and lots of ice. I may even spring for some burgers and chips if I have an idea of how many want some food, do not expect Miner Bill quality, I am on vacation as of 3:40 that day. Some good places in town also.
Address is 750 CR 112 Craig CO. I am the only house on the east side of the road, green roof on the barn and house. Google Earth it, my sons dirt bike route is very obvious in the pastures. I will have a sign at the front of the drive.
The mark on Google Earth is about a 100 yds south of the turn.
nwcolorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #82
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,167
I'm tentatively in assuming my big bike is sorted by then. This sounds like a ton o' fun.
Of course the bike doesn't exist, this entire forum is here because the right bike doesn't exist but the right people do, and they make the trip anyway.
VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:43 PM   #83
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Norm: That'd sure beat slop-in-a-bag
I'm happy to throw $10 in the pile for a burger on Thursday night
Old 03-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #84
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Anyone know if "thee bridge" is still gated?

Old 03-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #85
Geek OP
oot & aboot

"untresspassing!".

Old 03-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #86
Geek OP
oot & aboot

I highly recommend a 400 mile range.. but if you can't do that, a 180 mile range would be a good idea
...that or a long hose and a buddy with a bigger tank than you.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #87
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Old 03-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #88
Geek OP
oot & aboot

PERFECT ride to "break-in" a new bike

We had two virgin motorcycles last year.

Os on his WR250

Leigh on this funny looking KLR he bought.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #89
Geek OP
oot & aboot

"You gotta ask yourself.. punk... do you feel lucky?"

Old 03-26-2013, 05:20 PM   #90
nwcolorider
NWCOLO

Oddometer: 2,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Norm: That'd sure beat slop-in-a-bag
I'm happy to throw $10 in the pile for a burger on Thursday night

How bout this, you tell me you want a burger and the fixings and a side. I will get it set up. Just send me a pm and I will put ya down for some elk burgers.
nwcolorider is offline   Reply With Quote