Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
Icelander-DR650 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
XR650R compliance sticker

Hi Guys,

I bought a 2000 XR650R from the USA and thought I had all the paperwork in order for the inspection to get it road legal here in Canada. I've got the Form #1 and Form #2. I went to Canadian Tire, which is where they do the inspection and stamp the forms. Everything passed, I was told to load the bike back up in my truck and then the inspector came back out of the office and said he needed to look at the "Compliance Sticker" which had the year, VIN, Gross vehicle wieight, axle ratings, ect.

I cannot seem to be able to get any assistance from Honda on this. Honda Canada says call Honda USA, Honda USA says they won't provide one for the bike now that it's in Canada. Has anyone else had this issue, and did you find a solution?

Thanks!
Icelander-DR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander-DR650 View Post
Hi Guys,

I bought a 2000 XR650R from the USA and thought I had all the paperwork in order for the inspection to get it road legal here in Canada. I've got the Form #1 and Form #2. I went to Canadian Tire, which is where they do the inspection and stamp the forms. Everything passed, I was told to load the bike back up in my truck and then the inspector came back out of the office and said he needed to look at the "Compliance Sticker" which had the year, VIN, Gross vehicle wieight, axle ratings, ect.

I cannot seem to be able to get any assistance from Honda on this. Honda Canada says call Honda USA, Honda USA says they won't provide one for the bike now that it's in Canada. Has anyone else had this issue, and did you find a solution?

Thanks!
It's also called a nader sticker, you won't find one for the bike unless it was originally a street legal model from the factory. The US version of this sticker has the GVWR, tire sizes/pressure and a statement to the effect that "This vehicle meets all applicable DOT standards for model year 20XX" For a US version of the XR650R, that sticker doesn't exist.

OE manufacturers won't provide a sticker, esp when the bike didn't come with one originally. There's companies out there that reproduce them for autos when there's bodywork to the area that has the sticker but they require a picture f the original and don't do motorcycles. I'm not advocating this method but unless you make the sticker yourself you're out of luck.

Canada might have a alternative method to bypass this issue but here in the US, if you're in a state that requires the sticker you have to get very creative to get around the problem, to make matters worse many states are starting to verify compliance through the vehicle's vin.

I'd try going to a different location.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:05 PM   #3
Huskyfatman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
I'm sure you have some custom chopper or kit car builders up there, you may be able to pass it off as a custom assembled vehicle like they do. I've heard of folks doing tht in California.

"So I think the WR250R is a primo dual sport, especially for trout bums"-Jäger
Huskyfatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
Icelander-DR650 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Thanks for the replies.

I really don't think taking it to another Canadian Tire would help, the inspector will still want the info from the missing sticker...I'm going to contact the RIV office and see if they will overlook the info in this case. The bike frame has been painted so maybe it will slide by.

If that doesn't work I'll try listing it as a custom, I do have both dirt and Supermoto wheels. The Supermoto wheels have different weight and pressure capacities, I'm sure the bike's weight has changed so I'll weigh it and then come up with a new GVWR by adding the 220lb load capacity, spit the weight 45-55 front rear and see how that goes....

Thanks again for the help!!!
Icelander-DR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:23 AM   #5
jasonmt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Even if you "get it by" RIV and subsequently get a Form 1 that says the bike is street legal what about the SSC inspection?

jasonmt is offline   Reply With Quote