Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #16
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
judging from the ride reports, most "TAT" riders don't follow the route. i read a bunch of reports, and i encountered certain road conditions rarely, if ever, mentioned in the reports. i'm pretty sure they would have been mentioned if riders had been there.
What????
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #17
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,163
Tat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
judging from the ride reports, most "TAT" riders don't follow the route. i read a bunch of reports, and i encountered certain road conditions rarely, if ever, mentioned in the reports. i'm pretty sure they would have been mentioned if riders had been there.

Link to your trip report on the whole TAT?
Old 04-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #18
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
I've read quite a few TAT reports, especially before riding it, and a few since. I think that road/trail conditions change from year to year, and there is quite a range of rider ability. Also, not all reports are day to day on the trail and get post reported. Everything doesn't get mentioned. I personally experienced many sections that were very enjoyable and or challenging that had never been mentioned in any report, but I'm sure that they had been ridden. With over 4000 miles of trail all of it just can't get described in the reports. If you did this ride 5 times you would have 5 different experiences. I will do it again and make sure I cover any sections bypassed earlier due to weather or just being tired at the end of the day. A number of riders were obviously time constrained and had to make bypasses for various reasons. One guy did in 19 days as I recall, while we dawdled and took 36! The latter was a lot more enjoyable IMHO.

Do it all if you have time; if not, start in NM; that's where it starts to get fun.
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #19
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

Oddometer: 411
I would say the conditions change constantly. The first 10 miles in MS was a nightmare of deep sand for us that took about 5 hours to get through, but no none else reported any problems there. When we got to eastern OK, riders there the week before had some difficulties with deep mud. A week later when we rode the same road, it was all dried out and we cruised right through, although we could see the deep ruts where they had ridden through. I regret even trying the western half of OK because of the silt, although we were enjoying the scenery. Maybe a week earlier or later, it would have been fine, but for us it was a trip-ender when Write2ride injured her wrists from dumping one too many times in the silt. We'll go back and start at the NM/OK border and finish the western half. The only parts we didn't follow the tracks exactly were once in AR when the road was closed for a landslide, once for a tree across the trail we had to bypass, and then western OK when we re-routed for a bridge out and then to pavement to get to Boise City because of the silt.

Tim
3DChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:54 PM   #20
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,280
Likewise I skipped some of TN's paved trails during a rainstorm, then really intentionally skipped the climb in NM as it would be too taxing for the hack rig to ascend that hill..."Long Canyonl"...was forewarned by a scout rider....so went straight from Boise, OK..to Branson, Colo. Was told later that I got bs/exaggerated advise . It really was a road not too much of a trail...eh!!

Long Canyon is indeed fine for you and should have been fine for me..

cheers...

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 07:30 AM
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #21
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
I rest my case. Long Canyon and the hill was a non event for our group as we had a blast riding up, and no silt at all in OK. We just had a few holes in the gravel roads that were full of what I would call sand. 'Just drove thru them and kind of zoned out on the long straight stretches. Then, we had hell in Black Dragon after a flash flood, but recently I watched some vids of a pair of riders going thru in about ten minutes, and a couple just cruising thru two up! It didn't look ANYTHING like that when we were there. Every ride is going to be different.
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #22
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,886
This is a personal opinion, but doing the TAT "...the way Sam intended it to be..." is not how I want to do rides.

I look at the TAT and other such rides as the CDR as a suggestion and a way to find about dirt roads in places I am not familiar with.

Another place on the TAT to "skip" is in Oregon. The TAT goes well north of Crater Lake. I think it is worth it to skip that part of the TAT and run down to take a look at the Lake.

It is pretty easy to hook back into the TAT further west.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:13 AM   #23
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,636
Still remember those three sand filled holes in Ok....dang they were deep. I think your hack could have made the climb in NM. It was the 1st intimidating spot for me, well the deeps holes would have been, but I never had time to think about them. I enjoyed the complete ride and would love to do it all again. The eastern section is easy and is good to see it as a section that gets you used to riding all day and the travel. Consider it as a warm up for what comes later.

Our group only by passed Cat and Eagle Canyons, but at the time it was a wise decision. One of these days I'll have to do them!!! Plus we by passed a section of Miss or was it AR due to rain and mud.

My favorite sections, were Oregon, Colorado, NV, and Utah, roughly in that order too. To me Oregon was prettier than CO,course that could have been due to the fact of riding dry sandy NV for days, and it was such a treat to see trees again and cooler temps!!!!
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:53 AM   #24
Britome
Get Free

Oddometer: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper View Post
all but the last west 50 miles on TN.....Its like a Sumo track.

I only rode from NC to just above Little Rock.

TN sucked
+1

Maybe originally there were good roads but way too much boring pavement and even long stretches going through paved residential n
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #25
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
This is a personal opinion, but doing the TAT "...the way Sam intended it to be..." is not how I want to do rides.

I look at the TAT and other such rides as the CDR as a suggestion and a way to find about dirt roads in places I am not familiar with.

Another place on the TAT to "skip" is in Oregon. The TAT goes well north of Crater Lake. I think it is worth it to skip that part of the TAT and run down to take a look at the Lake.

It is pretty easy to hook back into the TAT further west.

I fully agree, I have nothing to prove by following a route exactly and I'll do what I want.

Having spent 20 years of my life in Oregon I can think of 100 different things I'd rather do there other than the TAT.

I'm shooting for another big western USA dirt loop in 2015, I think I'll ride the TAT east from Oregon out to Salida, then figure out where to go after that. Maybe I'll just turn around and rail it as fast as possible on the return...the best of the TAT is Salida, CO and west.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #26
OKlr
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 764
In Oklahoma east of I35 is interesting. West of I35 is long and strait, but it will really make you understand how small you are. Lot of open land out there.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:38 PM   #27
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
...the best of the tat is salida, co and west.
+1

The more remote the better

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
Canyonlands Adventure Ride 2013 / 700 Miles of Scenic Utah Backcountry / VIDEOS
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #28
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 2,049
This is my year to go. I may never have a chance to take 4 weeks off (in a row) again, at least while I'm young enough to enjoy it. Originally I was planning to do what everybody else does, ride the whole thing and ship my bike back. But I've about decided to carry my DRZ out to Trinidad in the pickup. That should be 2 1/2 days from Florida. I was going to have to spend 1 day driving to my place in western NC anyway. Anyway, I'll get to Trinidad with a fresh bike and fresh tires, and I'll just ride the TAT westbound. Once I get to OR I'd like to transition up the coast and work my way over to Idaho and then ride south to CO. The Tour of Idaho looks interesting but might be too much for my skill level on a fully loaded DRZ. It sounds like there is a "dual sport" version that runs north and south which may not be as technical as the "Challenge." So then I'd end up in northern CO and have a week or so to work my way back to Trinidad and drive home. I figure I'll do the eastern half of the TAT next fall when it's cooler, maybe take in some of CO again, then work my way south and eventually back to FL (or Tellico Plains).
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:13 AM   #29
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,886
We did the TAT in 2 phases East and West from Albuquerque. Worked out well.

In fact we did the East part backwards. Both times we just slabbed it back home.

I find it very difficult to be away from home for more than two weeks. Things are just too complicated here.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote