User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #1
Hicks OP
der Überluber

Oddometer: 457
Scottoiler forumevangelism

because some local forum members are even more spray-conservative than guys on our CZ forum I'll put some serious propaganda in here

I claim, that Scottoiler:

- changes how the bike behaves by visibly lowering the chain friction
- - quicker responses to the throttle
- - a bit lower enging-braking
- reduces a lot of chain twitching-the ride is MUCH more smooth and kardan-like = you can use lower rpm range comfortably
- significiantly prolonges chain-tension maintenance intervals
- prolonges chain life by several times
- makes only a light mess
- doesn't require the chain to be cleaned(!) -- the cloth once a 500-1000km is sufficient
- with LubeTube it has refill interval ~8000+ km

I talk about onroard use.

---

photos follow :)

Hicks screwed with this post 04-03-2012 at 10:40 PM
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Nice try, troll.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:39 PM   #3
Hicks OP
der Überluber

Quote:
Originally Posted by señormoto View Post
Nice try, troll.
there will always be a lost cases, I'm not naive ;)

Anyway you said that Scottoiler is "a terrible product" -- so I wonder if you even properly care about YOUR chain... will you post a pic? Do you clean it regularly?
Old 04-04-2012, 01:58 AM   #4
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,262
I run the scottoiler "e" version., very happy. It pays for itself in chain life.
The only issues I have had were I had to seal the controller face from rain and spray washing.
Rubber lines are poor quality and crack and leak in the sun after one year.
The hard plastic lines are great. I use penetrating oil for a lubricant. The pump does not like heavy oils.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:40 AM   #5
CrazyMike
***42***

Oddometer: 890
Laugh

30,000 miles on my stock chain with Scott-Oiler, both on-road and off-road use. All I do is wash the bike after off-road paying attention to the chain and all is still good.
2009 BMW F800GS
WANTED: Kawasaki ZRX 1200R

CrazyMike screwed with this post 04-04-2012 at 06:33 PM
CrazyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:07 AM   #6
Hicks OP
der Überluber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMike View Post
30,000 miles on my stock chain, both on-road and off-road use. All I do is wash the bike after off-road paying attention to the chain and all is still good.
what is good?

it is most likely irregularly elongated... I bet.. for 90%.

Put it to the main stand, rotate slowly the wheel and check the chain slack...

Irregularly elongated chain harms the wheelwork before that.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
there will always be a lost cases, I'm not naive ;)

Anyway you said that Scottoiler is "a terrible product" -- so I wonder if you even properly care about YOUR chain... will you post a pic? Do you clean it regularly?
Here's my nice clean old chain @10k miles that I just took off. No hard links, oiled regularly, cleaned regularly.

Here's my nice new chain. I even care enough about my chain to replace it before it's worn.

I do ride a fair amount offroad so an oiler is sort of like suicide for my chains. Maybe if I bought a dual sport bike and only rode it on highways and pavement I would be saying the oiler had a benefit, but that is not the case. Modern o-ring chains are made to lubricate themselves internally, with only cleaning the rollers and applying light teflon to the outer surfaces being required at most. A constant oil bath for modern chains is equivalent to riding around town while wearing a diaper.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #8
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMike View Post
30,000 miles on my stock chain, both on-road and off-road use. All I do is wash the bike after off-road paying attention to the chain and all is still good.
+1, that's all that's needed for a healthy chain
Old 04-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #9
Hicks OP
der Überluber

Quote:
Originally Posted by señormoto View Post
Modern o-ring chains are made to lubricate themselves internally, with only cleaning the rollers and applying light teflon to the outer surfaces being required at most.
I got you :)

You've just proven that you dont know much about the o/x ring chains.

The truth is that only a PART of the o-ring chain is internally lubricated from the factory. But there is still an internal surface, WHICH MUST be oiled.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #10
Hicks OP
der Überluber

The KEY and MUST is to put a lube between a roller and inner sideplate.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #11
blackfly911
Meat Popsicle

Oddometer: 167
Wow....

This is beginning to look like a tire/oil thread.

I'm indifferent to the Scott Oiler (although have looked into them in tha past), I use a spray lube and am totally satisfied with it BUT..... your sig would imply that you've got 115k on 5 chains, others have the same distance on two or three.... just saying! Does the manufacturer of Scott Oiler make the same claims/observations as you? If they're valid then they're missing on some great sales potential!

Old 04-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #12
Hicks OP
der Überluber

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfly911 View Post

This is beginning to look like a tire/oil thread.

I'm indifferent to the Scott Oiler (although have looked into them in tha past), I use a spray lube and am totally satisfied with it BUT..... your sig would imply that you've got 115k on 5 chains, others have the same distance on two or three.... just saying! Does the manufacturer of Scott Oiler make the same claims/observations as you? If they're valid then they're missing on some great sales potential!
I spoke about the VERY basic stock (CZ) chain with several BMW dealers, including the really renowned one in Regensburg and they told me -- 16 000km typical lifetime, 20 000 km max.

My chains:

1) original 2008 stock o-ring -- malfunctioned -- o-rings shattered & gone in ~20kkm (these chains were later recalled)
2) same 2008 stock o-ring -- malfunctioned in the same way in ~18 000 km
3) DID 525 ZVM2 -- about 35kkm
4) BMW recall -- stock o-ring, changed after est. 20kkm
6) CZ X-ring 525 SDZ currently ~25kkm... all the time under scottoiler -- only slightly worn

I've of course consulted chain care almost everywhere.. including directly with the CZ-chains manufacturer/insider.. so I did it right... it looks like a my particular.. maybe sporty riding style + city.

Anyway -- the behaviour of my bike with Scottoiler doesnt collide with info on their website or (similar) experience of my friends.

Have to add, that we're discussing the ONROAD use.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #13
Hicks OP
der Überluber

btw: also have to say, that people often change their chains after they're long gone... besides that DID, I changed the other chains +- on time.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #14
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Let me ask the OP again. Hicks, are you a stock holder? How can that device do anything I can't do? How does the oiler put oil on every inch of your chain while riding down the road? The oiler may work but I don't understand what it does that I can't. Does it use majic oil? How much does the majic oil cost? I guess if a person is too sorry to lubricate his chain it might be worth something to him. GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #15
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Quote:
btw: also have to say, that people often change their chains after they're long gone... besides that DID, I changed the other chains +- on time.
Let's see your cost comparison here since you're desperately trying to sell more of these oilers. I want to see a control-based study where you prove that the cost of purchasing and maintaining the Oiler saves a person money in the long run by making the chain last longer over a period of time (or distance). If your list of chains (or whatever study you're basing this off of) there doesn't prove how many more miles a person would get by using the oiler (and thus proves that the oiler maintained chain has a higher mileage to cost ratio) then your reasons and argument is basically null/void.

Either prove the benefit or admit that your statements are all conjecture and opinion based on nothing other than preference and product lust.

Quote:
I got you :)

You've just proven that you dont know much about the o/x ring chains.

The truth is that only a PART of the o-ring chain is internally lubricated from the factory. But there is still an internal surface, WHICH MUST be oiled.
Well, you've just proven you're good at assumptions and not paying attention to what other people say. I never said that chains don't need lubrication, I said that slathering oil all over them via the ScottOiler is unnecessary and dirty. Besides, if you ever go offroad you're looking at a chain covered in filth, grime, sand, dirt and everything else that sticks to oil; thus making the equivalent of semi-liquid sandpaper all rotating and wearing your chain down.

If you don't ever ride offroad with your F8/F658 then I feel sorry for you and I wonder why you bothered buying one of these bikes. So, have fun trying to convince people that your snake oil is useful, but you should remember that you care more about this topic than the people that don't use the garbage product.

Why did you start this thread anyway - do you really care if other people go out and buy the product or are you just trying to start *another* useless thread where opinions about irrelevant topics are hashed out over and over and over again? Was there any real benefit for other forum members you were aiming at here, because I don't see the point of your post unless you have a vested interest in seeing other people buy the ScottOiler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
Let me ask the OP again. Hicks, are you a stock holder? How can that device do anything I can't do? How does the oiler put oil on every inch of your chain while riding down the road? The oiler may work but I don't understand what it does that I can't. Does it use majic oil? How much does the majic oil cost? I guess if a person is too sorry to lubricate his chain it might be worth something to him. GH
+1, get 'em!

señormoto screwed with this post 04-04-2012 at 08:19 PM
señormoto is offline   Reply With Quote