Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 05:39 AM   #1
LuciferMutt OP
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,971
With all this talk about filtering and lane splitting in the US...what would it take?

By that I mean, what would it take to make it legal, and more importantly, accepted? We all seem to know the biggest problem with it in the US is other drivers' perception of filtering/splitting to be "cutting in line" or skipping ahead.

So what would it take? Adding elements to driver's ed? A massive PSA campaign? Why hasn't the AMA ever tackled this issue in force? Isn't the AMA supposed to speak for motorcyclists? I'd join if they were making a bold effort to allow lane splitting everywhere. A lot of people complaining about it -- but is anyone actively trying to change it?

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:59 AM   #2
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 874
It iz legal now in the golden (shower) state! http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html
Sum peeps over on BARF worked together with the pig gubment to come up with sum guidelines 'n shit.
The rest of y'all in them other states should do the same. (1st bone up on the Hurt report.)
Old 01-17-2013, 06:38 AM   #3
urbanXJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,884
I just do it anyway if things are at a standstil. Most people don't seem to give a **** even cops.

Here is a couple threads with pics form my helmet camera of me filtering houston freeways (always under 20mph).

Gets a little tight at times, and riding those domes that devide the lanes can suck.

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ight=filtering

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ight=filtering
Old 01-17-2013, 06:41 AM   #4
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
So what would it take? Adding elements to driver's ed? A massive PSA campaign? Why hasn't the AMA ever tackled this issue in force? Isn't the AMA supposed to speak for motorcyclists? I'd join if they were making a bold effort to allow lane splitting everywhere. A lot of people complaining about it -- but is anyone actively trying to change it?
My 2 (Euro) Centimes:
You need a trial in one area to pilot it. Fight to only get the accident stats considered after at the earliest, the first year. IE once car drivers are used to it and once the motorcyclists themselves have started to learn where the limits are in this particular aspect of motorcycling. If it's only a month's trial, you'll get a massive spike in accidents, the car drivers will bitch about how bikes are coming out of nowhere and flying by at 100mph and the naysayers will smugly gloat, "this is why it's banned, you're playing with people's lives here, repeal this lunacy".

Motorcyclists need to start doing it regularly, in large numbers; the single biggest thing to train car drivers to it (which is the main thing) is to get used "being filtered past". No one is going to flash their lights or get into a fight at the lights when 100 motorcyclists come past them on their commute. If it's just one lone rider, the psychos will take umbrage at your refusal to waste your life sat in traffic, irrespective of what the law may say on the matter.

The police need to loosen up about what they prosecute you for. By all means keep the traffic laws (other than filtering itself) the same, but turn a blind eye to things like bikes riding over 'no passing' lines in order to filter more safely, provided they are doing so in a way that doesn't harm anyone else.

If enough people start filtering, the journey times come down. Motorcycling as a serious form of transport, as opposed to a recreation, gains recognition. More people commute by bike, rather than just ride at the weekend and accordingly, the average standard of riders' abilities increase. Congestion is eased, not only for those filtering, but for the cagers who are now sharing the road with few cars and parking is no longer quite such a ball-ache, as several bikes can park in one bay. It will also get new blood into motorcycling; plenty of people learn to ride for purely practical reasons of cheap and fast commuting in big cities in Europe, only to find they get bitten by the biking bug and start riding for fun. The 'serious' use of bikes mean that the public perception of us as thrill seeking maniacs and Hell's Angels declines, which benefits us all. Even the thrill seeking maniacs and Hell's Angels.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:55 AM   #5
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,490
It would take one or more legislators in each state to actually give a hoot about what motorcyclists want/need, and sponsor a bill, and then back it through committee, full legislature, etc.

For them, it does not serve enough of their constituents to even bother.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:58 AM   #6
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Oh yes..... We need one more thing for non-motorcyclists to hate our guts for! I can see it now in Michigan..... Cell ph cameras a flashing while this biker thinks he/she has the right to pass 100 patient cagers waiting in line. Most of us are smarter than that.... we just take another road that is parallel to the jammed up one. We also have the "let me throw my door open, and step out to see what is wrong" syndrome here.KA-BAM............
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #7
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,550
With almost 10% of riders on this very forum stating in a poll that they are against it... I am afraid the unity just is not there to ever make this a reality.

I will simply continue to do is as needed for safety and when there is stopped traffic. I don't need it to be legal. It is the right thing to do and that is enough for me.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:02 AM   #8
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,757
One of the cities in AUS just legalized sharing. (I forget which one) We need studies from their experiences to show its not a dangerous thing to do. If we're lucky, it'll show that its actually better for traffic in a few ways.

AFA getting sharing accepted: massive PR campaign from ABATE and the AMA as well as a concerted effort from local groups pestering their representatives in the state govt.

IOW I don't see it happening any time soon because both the AMA and ABATE are both too concerned with anti-helmet laws and could care less about using MCs as transportation.

M
Old 01-17-2013, 07:20 AM   #9
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
because both the AMA and ABATE are both too concerned with anti-helmet laws and could care less about using MCs as transportation.
This frustrates me to no end.

However, when I get back full-time, I do plan to make a go of it in MI. Go to the state house and all to present the case. Use the CA info, Hurt report, the assorted euro studies, and when the people ask me if it's safe, I'll cut them off with the helmet law nonsense. I'll even thow in attracting MC tourists who want to try it out and see how great it is.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:40 AM   #10
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,507
legislation in 49 different states
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #11
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,550
^^^ This ^^^

WA & OR are at least looking into it.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:52 AM   #12
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,824
Texas has tried the past three legislative sessions and none of those bills made it to a full vote. Last time it made it through the House, but died in Senate Committee. This sessions that started last week, unfortunately I do not think any of the Representatives have submitted a bill. If that is the case then it will be at least 2 more years before another chance arises. (Texas legislature meets only every other year.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
By that I mean, what would it take to make it legal, and more importantly, accepted? We all seem to know the biggest problem with it in the US is other drivers' perception of filtering/splitting to be "cutting in line" or skipping ahead.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:58 AM   #13
JDK111
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
We also have the "let me throw my door open, and step out to see what is wrong" syndrome here.KA-BAM............
I don't know about where you are, but that 'throw open my door' deal gets you a hefty ticket, 100% 'at fault' in an insurance claim and the wrong end of a lawsuit if there's an injury here.
JDK111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:42 AM   #14
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,748
The USA doesn't have enough motorcyclists. Even in California we are in the extreme minority, I bet there are more licensed roach coaches than motorcycles here.

22 million cars and 800,000 motorcycles, I can't imagine the stats for other states. Until there are 50 motorcycles at every intersection forcing the issue it's not going to happen for the rest of you.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #15
Kent Glasscock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Agree with pretty much everything already posted. Only thing I can think of is a well recognized state Senator who is a big motorcycle enthusiast and recognizes the benefits of filtering puts it forth. They may have the push to put something across in their state. One can only hope.
Kent Glasscock is offline   Reply With Quote