Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 03:18 PM   #46
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbeen View Post
Holy crap haha. I posted in the other BRC thread but I suppose this is more appropriate. I was planning on having my girlfriend take the course, but I think I'm just going to teach her myself.
Yeah, no potential for extra stress on your relationship there.

Quote:
I think I remember the BRC well enough to teach her everything and I have a little booklet that has all the range exercises.
Well, that's OK then- have at 'er!

It's not just that you may, or may not, remember what they were coaching you. RiderCoaches will (should) know how to coach people with different learning styles. They'll also know what to coach that you may not have needed coaching on, and to what standard of skill someone should be coached. And, of course, not being you, the g/f is less likely to have the additional stress because it's you doing the coaching.

Quote:
Over 17 drops, that is just crazy hahaha.
Shit happens. I haven't seen that, but I can easily envision a perfect storm of students, instructors, weather, and other mitigating factors that could get there.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #47
AzItLies
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
This. OK, she knows, in theory, how a manual transmission works. That doesn't always translate to doing the same on a bike, with completely different appendages, and some differences in usage. (In a car, it's always been "get off the clutch ASAP", in a BRC, there are exercises where controlled slipping of the clutch is expected.)

We (warning, rebel state thinking here) look at students as having mental whiteboards. When you first teach them something, they write it really big; as time goes on, they re-write it smaller, making room for something else. You can't give them too much at once- the whiteboard gets full. You can't give them too much in a day- they get tired of "writing".

Twelve hours at once is too much "writing"; most students are done before half of that. They've stopped "writing" and are just "remembering" what they learn- it'll never make it to the whiteboard for longer term retention.

I don't know what state the OP is in, but the way most states are set up, the state coordinator would be the office to talk to- and IMO, they just need to know, because that was BS... and it may not have been an isolated incident.
concur 100%. That's a great explanation about why the MSF wants range time limited to 5hrs per day. Many many of these people are just overwhelmed... trying to do both day ranges in 1 day is simply idiotic.

also agree, it may NOT be an isolated incident. The MSF has employees that actually visit sites (unannounced) to "spy" on Sponsors that have been reported for violations.

It's sad, but it's not too hard to come upon a Sponsor that isn't following the curriculum. For some Sponsors, it's about the money, not about the passion, unfortunately.

My bet would be that it went something like this:

"Look class, there's no way we'll be able to ride Sunday because of the weather. So we have a choice, we can reschedule, but we don't know how long that will take... could be months"

"Or we could just do all of the class tomorrow? It's not that bad! Waddya say?"

Basically, the class is being coerced, they don't have any idea what they're agreeing to. It never should have happened. Sounds like a Sponsor just being greedy imho.

Cheers
AzItLies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #48
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgeo View Post
With all the nicety things being said I'll play devils advocate. This failure may be what later saves her life. She'll put more into the next course and test, thusly she'll be more attentive than others while riding, thusly...... she'll be a better motorcyclist

When I was 16 after my auto test the tester said "I could pass you bus I'm not going to...because when you changed lanes you used the mirrors instead of looking over your shoulder. " Naturally I was livid. That guy probably saved my life and I wish I could thank him today.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #49
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,838
My wife felt very rushed in her basic msf course. After another student in the class lost control and nearly hit her, she lost her nerve and walked out.
The next season I bought her a small dirtbike and took her to some dirt areas to play/practice. She went back the next year and just the test (no course) and passed with 100%.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #50
Carlo Muro OP
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,088
Thanks for all the positive feedback.

She called the contact person and gets a full refund.

Meanwhile we'll be doing some work on our own. We plan to start in a grass field on my dirtbike (which might be a bit large but she should be ok). She plans to retest in the autumn (notice i didn't use that nasty 4 letter F word which could have bad connotations ).
Old 03-31-2013, 04:35 PM   #51
bscman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
The next season I bought her a small dirtbike and took her to some dirt areas to play/practice. She went back the next year and just the test (no course) and passed with 100%.
Big +1 for this idea.

This is exactly what I'm doing with my lil lady...with a crf230f.
We started out in the back yard learning how to clutch, and practicing looking ahead and not at the controls. Then doing circles and figure 8's...then doing them with a big head turn to look where you want to go.

After just a few sessions she was weaving through a slalom of cones placed 6 feet apart...either standing, or sitting...in second gear.

I feel getting these bare bones essentials down is paramount...and doing it in a safe, closed environment to learn at your own pace takes a LOT of stress out of beginning riding. Especially if you can do it with a small, lightweight motorcycle!
bscman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:12 PM   #52
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Yes, 12 hours is way too much. It is mentally, physically, totally exhausting.

If you get the chance, work with her on three things, very slow straight line riding while slipping the clutch (friction zone), very slow and tight circles and esses while slipping the clutch, and two wheel braking to short stops. Of course work up to these...bigger circles, slow big circles, slow smaller circles, slow really small circles, etc.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:05 PM   #53
racergirl479
Flying Merkel

Oddometer: 661
Regardless if she failed or not, going through the course will make her a much better rider when she is with you.

Plus she can always go back and just retake the riding test if she passed the written for like half the price... at least thats what they do in my program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Muro View Post
She came home in tears. This was my idea. She's logged thousands of miles behind me but has never thrown a leg over the driver's seat - of any motorcycle. She drives a manual transmission so she understands the concept of clutch, gearshift, etc.

Since they are calling for a possible snowstorm later this weekend they had condensed the course into four hours on Friday evening and 12 hours on Saturday. She said she felt rushed and couldn't get the riding exercises down before they would move on to the next one.

She was the only woman in the class.

Did I push too hard? Is this not the place to learn to ride? I don't know because I never took it (shame on me). I got some basic proficiency in a farm field and then took rode through the cones at the DMV.
racergirl479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #54
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Muro View Post
She came home in tears. This was my idea. She's logged thousands of miles behind me but has never thrown a leg over the driver's seat - of any motorcycle. She drives a manual transmission so she understands the concept of clutch, gearshift, etc.

Since they are calling for a possible snowstorm later this weekend they had condensed the course into four hours on Friday evening and 12 hours on Saturday. She said she felt rushed and couldn't get the riding exercises down before they would move on to the next one.

She was the only woman in the class.

Did I push too hard? Is this not the place to learn to ride? I don't know because I never took it (shame on me). I got some basic proficiency in a farm field and then took rode through the cones at the DMV.
No shame on you for not taking the course. Don't get in some kind of a guilt trip about that.

Getting basic proficiency on a farm field, or similar, is the way most people I know started out. I had been riding off road for more than four years before I did the test to get my motorcycle licence.

It at all possible, give her the same opportunity to take her time to learn at her own pace. As a tertiary level teacher, I don't actually "teach" very much. It is more about facilitating learning than teaching as such.