Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #1
yaseenk2002 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Riding from SF to Pittsburgh, PA - Advices would be helpful :)

Hello fellow riders,

I have done a lot of riding in India but I am new to US(been a year here) and very new to the forum. So pardon me if I miss something while explaining the situation.

I am planning to ride from San Francisco to Pittsburgh on my Ninja 650. I have all of 9 days for this ( I can reach a day late if the situation demands).

This is the route that I plan to take. It mostly has places I want to visit and where I have my friends!

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=B...mra=ls&t=m&z=5

I rode from LA to SF by some great roads (CA-33,25,198) to gauge my capacity to be on the saddle since it had been a year since I last rode. I rode for 10 hours very easily although I was a little stiff early morning the next day (I attribute that to mentally draining ride through the suburbs of Bay Area for 2 hours.. 100s of signals... And I could do with some more stretching :) ) I know that I have limited time for this ride, but I can ride for 8 hours a day on an average. The above route planned does not go through highways, but I am open to taking interstates if I am behind the schedule.

Please let me know your thoughts on the route, the things I should take care of/not miss while I travel through those places. Mostly, I want to know if the routes/states are safe for solo travelers. Also, which are the areas where it could get really windy?

And any other advice will be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks!
yaseenk2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
doc4216
Chronic High Fiver

Oddometer: 376
Unless you have to go to Charlotte, I would bypass that and spend a night in Asheville,NC instead. It's in a fantastic riding location, awesome restaurants, and a great number of local microbreweries. Right off the BRP and easy access to other great roads!

Just my .02
Old 08-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
yaseenk2002 OP
n00b

Thanks! Point noted. May be I can do both!
Also preparing myself for the extreme summer heat I am going to encounter in Arizona and Texas. Wondering if it is possible to ride all afternoon. I have taken adequate precautions for myself to counter heat, but I hope the bike holds up well. Its a brand new 2013 Ninja 650.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
doc4216
Chronic High Fiver

Oddometer: 376
I think the bike should do fine, especially since its newer
Old 08-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
MapMaster
Human Compass

Oddometer: 726
When exactly are you doing this trip?
If it's in August, I would strongly recommend a much more northern route (like Montana, and upper peninsula of Michigan northern).
However, I realize that visiting family/friends can be more of a factor than route choice.
As noted, the bike shouldn't have a problem. You on the other hand, even if you're used to heat, will probably be more affected.
So:
If you have to go to Phoenix, plan on coming down from the highlands (Flagstaff area) in the morning and finishing the day's ride by noon.
Likewise when you depart, leave early and get to high country before noon. To get there, I've made a change to your route. US 191, the Coronado highway is not to be missed. Start early and you will be at elevation soon enough.

(My cousin lives 45 miles south of Phoenix and as she put it when I visited in May, "There are two seasons here, summer and hell. And Hell just started.")

I'd follow the same method for Dallas, but there are no highlands to come down from and escape to! (damn, Yellowstone, even with the tourist crowds, would be preferable to me).

Coming out of Dallas, northwest Arkansas has the best riding between the Rockies and the Appalachians, so it would be a shame not to route through there. I just dropped a couple waypoints on your plot to take AR 7 north of Russelville, but it would be well worth it to allow a day just to play in that area.

Here's what I've modified it to:
http://goo.gl/maps/M03h5

Taking the back roads is great, but on a hot afternoon even the little towns will have enough stops to make life miserable, so don't hesitate to get on the highways to avoid population centers (or at least get through them quickly without stops).

Your route from Charlotte can be vastly improved
(WV and western VA is my backyard so to speak)
Let me know your required stopping points and a time frame and I'll set you up with a route that will have your helmet echoing with shouts of joy (or incomprehensible babble, people react differently when the horizon isn't horizontal ).

You don't mention a return, are you going to be in Pittsburgh for awhile?

Cheers,

Maritime Meander Ride Report

For Whom the (Wedding) Bells Toll
MapMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:02 PM   #6
yaseenk2002 OP
n00b

Thank You so much for the great insights! I will definitely consider those changes. Yes, I will be staying in Pittsburgh after I reach there.

I am starting in mid August. Problem is, I don't have much time. With the route you suggest, the total riding time has increased by 7-8 hours. I am already averaging about 8.5 hours per day with my initial plan. I am not taking great roads at some places because I want to just fly through some parts of the journey. I thought I will do most of the sight-seeing on the first two days in Cali - Nevada. But depending on how I am going, I might change the route and add more places and take better roads. As much as I want to enjoy the ride, I have to reach Pittsburgh in 9 days, safe and sound and be ready to work next day.

I think the best option would be to keep it flexible and see how I am doing after the end of each day and how much I can ride safely. I have never been through Arizona, New Mexico and Texas. The heat I know is going to be real bad. But, is dashing through those states by taking highways and riding 10 hours a day an option? How bad is it? If I take enough stops to replenish my cooling vest and hydration pack it could work. I don't want to miss the US 191 and more such routes so I have to sacrifice something!

I would definitely like to know more about route from Charlotte! May be I can include that as well. May be I can be on inter state highways for 3-4 days so that I have time on my hand for some great backyards!

And thank you so much for your help!
Old 08-10-2013, 06:33 AM   #7
MapMaster
Human Compass

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaseenk2002 View Post
Thank You so much for the great insights! I will definitely consider those changes. Yes, I will be staying in Pittsburgh after I reach there.
When you get settled, ping me and we can try to do a day ride, lots of good riding areas around here.

I am starting in mid August. Problem is, I don't have much time. With the route you suggest, the total riding time has increased by 7-8 hours. I am already averaging about 8.5 hours per day with my initial plan.
I've had great crossings in only 7 days, but I usually ride about 12 hours a day. I'll mix what I call travelling days with play days. Travelling days to eat miles going east/west and play days to explore a region or national park and such, but still usually make some progress in the intended direction.

I am not taking great roads at some places because I want to just fly through some parts of the journey.
about 500 miles on either side of the Mississippi, excepting the Ozarks in nw AR as already mentioned (KY and TN have some nice country side, but with limited time, I go through those areas quickly to leave more time to play in the mountains.

I thought I will do most of the sight-seeing on the first two days in Cali - Nevada.
Well, if you haven't seen much of CA and NV, that's certainly not a bad place to spend time, but with a long road ahead, getting out of there more quickly, while you are at your freshest, may be a better option. Intersperse the sightseeing/play days among the travel days to give yourself a break.

But depending on how I am going, I might change the route and add more places and take better roads. As much as I want to enjoy the ride, I have to reach Pittsburgh in 9 days, safe and sound and be ready to work next day.
After a trip like that, you might want to try to finish a day, or at least half day sooner to give yourself some recovery time. Then again, if the first work day is employee orientation, being your sharpest is not much of a concern.

I think the best option would be to keep it flexible and see how I am doing after the end of each day and how much I can ride safely.
Very wise. Any plan you make will not survive intact anyway.

I have never been through Arizona, New Mexico and Texas. The heat I know is going to be real bad. But, is dashing through those states by taking highways and riding 10 hours a day an option? How bad is it? If I take enough stops to replenish my cooling vest and hydration pack it could work. I don't want to miss the US 191 and more such routes so I have to sacrifice something!
Sounds like you've got the right strategies in place, how bad depends on you and the weather. I've ridden in all 50 states. The last 2 were AZ and NM, because the earlier trips were in the summer. I did those for the first time in April 2004 on my way to Death Valley, and Las Vegas was already in the 90s. That being said, the northern parts of those states are at higher elevation can be much cooler. Think Grand Canyon, Flagstaff, and Taos. Not Phoenix and Roswell. Texas, meh. The Hill Country is nice, but not worth going out of your way to try to melt in in August.

I would definitely like to know more about route from Charlotte! May be I can include that as well. May be I can be on inter state highways for 3-4 days so that I have time on my hand for some great backyards!
The flip side it that once you're east, you'll have more opportunity to explore WV, so if you have to blitz through it on the interstate to finish the trip in time it will not be a completely lost opportunity. Let me know when you're approaching there with a clear idea of the remaining trip time and I'll shoot you a route. All back roads away from the highway, or mainly interstate with some jump offs for some great parallel road options. It will depend on where your at at the time.

And thank you so much for your help!
Very welcome.

Maritime Meander Ride Report

For Whom the (Wedding) Bells Toll
MapMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:12 AM   #8
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
Quite familiar with your route through NC and on up through VA / WVA. As someone else suggested I'd also avoid Charlotte region unless I had a reason to go there, crowded and crazy there. Asheville great place. Hwy 16 up thru NC and into WVA super road if you decide to modify your plans.

Hwy 601 on your planned route is a pleasant road thru the region, ride it frequently and like it. Hwy 52 has a bit more traffic but is a good ride, older road and goes thru the "population centers" along the way - don't worry there aren't any. You are definitely taking the scenic route through this region, good for you. If you're running late on time you're close enough to the interstate to pick it up for a bit and make up some time, not too crazy busy for motorcycle riding.

When you get close to Pittsburgh the traffic picks up again. Gas much cheaper in VA. Local highway commute time from Charlotte NC to Fancy Gap VA (exit 8) via straight shot up highway is 2 hours. From Fancy Gap to Pgh on highway 5 1/2 hrs at a sedate and sane pace.

Wish you had enough time to enjoy the roads and country side of this region.
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #9
yaseenk2002 OP
n00b

@MapMaster

Yes! Definitely we can go to some rides in Pittsburgh. I am looking forward to it. Let's see how much time I get. I am a grad student at CMU. :P There is no employee orientation. By work, I meant, I will have a lot of work and classes at CMU from day one. I will PM you with more details, it would be great to get in touch with you!

And yea it would be really nice if I could update you about my route so that depending on the time left and my condition, I can plan ahead the remaining route.

@4PawsHacienda
Good pointers. Thanks! Noted them. I too wish I had like 15 days.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:42 AM   #10
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,649
The part we don't know is your friends & must touch/connect the dots places? I would aim different from NM onwards as you are missing some of the most scenic mtn riding in both Rockies & AR/Ozark region! Also,it's cooler/higher up. You also have managed to miss the best riding in NC,TN & VA with your route.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #11
yaseenk2002 OP
n00b

@kantuckid

Please suggest me the route I could take. You can make modifications in the link I posted. The route I made was considering the constraints regarding meeting friends and reaching in time. If I feel I am doing well with 10-12 hours a day of riding and if I can make it, I am definitely open to taking some scenic routes. Thanks for your input!
Old 08-12-2013, 06:31 AM   #12
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

I'll say this again-If you would please name the locations/cities where you must meet your friends then myself & others will be able to help you by suggesting routes from one place to the next. You "must say" where you "must go"!
My point is, that if you must head one direction to see someone, it makes little sense for me to suggest you head the other way. I called this "connecting the dots" earlier. The time frame is the other factor-forget about the heat thing-it's about time,place,route & what kind of scenery/history.points of interest,activities(hike,fish,drink,chase whatever,etc.) you are after?
I am trying for being explicit to help overcome any "language differences" for you to deal with.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
Old 08-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #13
yaseenk2002 OP
n00b

@kantuckid

Okay. The places marked in the map as destinations are the places I 'must visit' for friends and relatives. To reiterate, they are :- Las Vegas, Phoenix, Dallas, Charlotte.

Time Frame - Like I said in the first post, its 9 days.

Activities I am interested in - Riding on beautiful roads and through scenic places! Nothing else. But, reaching on time gets priority over this. If there are beautiful roads which take me so far away from route that my average riding time increases to 9 hours per day for 9 days, it would be difficult for me to cover those.

Again, thanks for your time. Waiting for your views.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:57 AM   #14
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Sorry, I overlooked your waypoints & basically agree with route shown in post#5 above. Take a look @ www.visitvirginiamountains.com for some specific routes in southern VA,TN,KY & NC when you head north. Look @ www.motorcycleroads.us for the connecting routes for WV toward PA. Use the same link for routes when you angle up through the Ozark region-the state of AR promotes MC tourism and has state websites with routes. Heading into OK further north than shown above will link better with most scenic & better MC roads into AR. Google Telimena Pkwy if you don't see it on AR website.
It's too bad you cannot head further north into CO but 9 days makes it hard with stops for friends and not extending your days to exhaustion.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #15
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,183
I too a m a bit tardy in catching your thread , and to boot I cannot seem to get your route image . But no matter , I was only going to comment that with 9 days you can do it and you have already determined that you are capable of riding the needed longish days. Since it is already mid August you could already be en route
The other point is not to worry about the heat in Arizona and other places. Having recently ridden across SW Arizona desert where it was at times 45 C I found it very
tolerable, even interesting and enjoyable . Just make sure to drink plenty of water frequently and when thirsty . Always carry a big bottle of it with you but leave it for
emergencies. There are plenty of places to buy cold refreshment and take a break .
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote