Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 08:03 AM   #31
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL "FLYING CANUCK" View Post
This sounds good! If possible a 50/50 paved/dirt would be great for this portion!!!!

Cheers!

I think this route 206 miles/ 6-1/2 hrs, will get you to Kalispell in a good day's ride. Towards the end, you could continue on 22 to 93 past Flathead lake for pavement. The bit if dirt from 22 to 2 is not known to me. Haven't been in that back country for 30 years.

Lumberjack Saloon back up Graves Ck off US12 - good burgers/beer. Also great lunches at Quinn's Hotsprings Resort on 135.

I do prelim planning on Google Maps then create a GPX in Basecamp. Would you like these 2 routes in GPX or prefer to create your own?

The first route is 315 miles/12-1/2 hrs, but the first stretch up the Gravellies could bog you down if you like to take in the scenery. You will want to check the local reports on the Gravellies before July 1.

Ron
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #32
AL "FLYING CANUCK" OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wansfel View Post
I think this route 206 miles/ 6-1/2 hrs, will get you to Kalispell in a good day's ride. Towards the end, you could continue on 22 to 93 past Flathead lake for pavement. The bit if dirt from 22 to 2 is not known to me. Haven't been in that back country for 30 years.

Lumberjack Saloon back up Graves Ck off US12 - good burgers/beer. Also great lunches at Quinn's Hotsprings Resort on 135.

I do prelim planning on Google Maps then create a GPX in Basecamp. Would you like these 2 routes in GPX or prefer to create your own?

The first route is 315 miles/12-1/2 hrs, but the first stretch up the Gravellies could bog you down if you like to take in the scenery. You will want to check the local reports on the Gravellies before July 1.

Ron
Thanks much Ron for the routes and other valuable info and advise!

I will look at these routes in more details the way they are right now and eventually create my own including the possibility of increasing the distance of the latest route! Usually I ride 10-12 hours day with lots of stop for pictures and others...all depends on wheater and conditions obviously! This is an excellent starting point and it is much appreciated!

I will keep you inform and possibly request more info as I am getting closer from D day!!

My plan is to take it easy but steady and take time for pictures of your great riding areas!!

This will be another memorable adventure!!!

I have attached the link of one of my adventure in Northern Quebec with my former GSA, you may find this interesting ......with some good fishing along the way!!!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607324

Cheers

"30 YEARS OF RIDING IN A FEW MINUTES"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYNkbdDF7mE
AL "FLYING CANUCK" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #33
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Quote:
Usually I ride 10-12 hours day with lots of stop for pictures and others...all depends on wheater and conditions obviously! This is an excellent starting point and it is much appreciated!

Given the mileage:
Alternate for route 2 includes Elk Meadow from US 12 to Lolo Pass then some of the Lolo Motorway and long haul north to I90 etc. 330 Miles 11 hrs

Ron
Old 04-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #34
AL "FLYING CANUCK" OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Given the mileage:
Alternate for route 2 includes Elk Meadow from US 12 to Lolo Pass then some of the Lolo Motorway and long haul north to I90 etc. 330 Miles 11 hrs

Ron
This is perfect and my prefer option for route 2 depending on the conditions!!!

I can't wait!!!!!!!!!

I owe you a cold one!!!

Cheers

Old 04-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #35
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Quote:
I owe you a cold one!!!
Cheers
So you want me to mark the waypoints for the 3 bars and 2 microbreweries just in my little town alone of 1,500 people?

If it works out, but right now my plans put me bike fishing, camping in ID just a bit west of where you will go through. Got at least 4 multi-day ADV rides planned for this summer...so far. I could ride all summer straight not travel 500 miles as the crow flies and still not hit everything I want to see.

Good riding to ya!
Old 04-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #36
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,556
You know how to travel. Most guys have sleeping bags and pads on the back of their motorcycle. You'll find lots of guys offering a bed for the night when you travel like that.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #37
AL "FLYING CANUCK" OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
So you want me to mark the waypoints for the 3 bars and 2 microbreweries just in my little town alone of 1,500 people?
Good idea!!!! We never know!!!

Seems that you have another great season ahead of you!!

All the best in your adventures and keep in touch!

Cheers

Old 04-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #38
AL "FLYING CANUCK" OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorebutt View Post
You know how to travel. Most guys have sleeping bags and pads on the back of their motorcycle. You'll find lots of guys offering a bed for the night when you travel like that.
However a bit shaky and noisy on the dirt roads......need the cans this time around.......

Cheers!!!!

Old 04-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #39
AL "FLYING CANUCK" OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Can't wait to do this other portion from Big Horn to Red Lodge via Big Prior Mountain dirt roads...

Any recommendations for this 200 miles leg is also welcome!!!

https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msa=0...1b0b1f92b3dc37

Thanks to all

AL "FLYING CANUCK" screwed with this post 04-14-2013 at 01:56 PM
Old 04-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #40
Freeman42
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
All good info.

This is all good to know.
Freeman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:06 PM   #41
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
DO NOT miss Beartooth Pass. Try to hit it on a weekday, not as many cages, and not much law enforcement :)

Also, hell roaring plateau is a nice ride. Takes about an hour or so, Its on the right hand side of the canyon as you are heading toward Beartooth pass from Red Lodge. Its a few miles long with some serious elevation gains. Its a baby head road. Only take about 30 -45 min round trip.

As far as ADV stuff there isn't much in Yellowstone. Its scenic, but all paved, and 45 MPH and it has strict speed enforcement. It is a great place to go, lots to see, but keep that in mind.

That Pryor Mountain loop is nice. There are TONS of roads through the Pryors. There is also a heard of wild horses that lives up there. Several caves. Lots of mines on the south side. Lots a varying difficulty of terrain. There is kind of a main loot that runs through to most of the mountain range that is a very mild gravel road, and you can explore off of that wherever you see fit.

If you want to make a loop a bit further north, going south of Big Timber Montana is the Boulder River. That is a VERY scenic drive. Really deep canyon. You can go all of the way to blue lake, and there is a nice hike up to Monument Peak. It is an 11,000ft peak that is only about 1.5 hour hike. Insane views of tons of the Rockies.

It last bit 8 miles from big timber to blue lake is an unmaintained FS road, and is challenging. I would do it by myself on my F800, but it is tough. I run the same tire combo.

Not trying to promote anything, but here is our youtube Channel that has many of the areas I just mentioned.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ExpeditionOverland

Episode 1 is the boulder River and Blue lake.

Episode 2 is the pryors.

Episode 5 is beartooth Pass and Morrison Jeep trail.

(also some good adv stuff outside of Cooke city) (I would not recommend Morrison jeep trail on a super tenere. I took the wife's F650 twin, and I really struggled. I would never do it alone, and it would be/was a lot of work with help, But super awesome!!! )

Episode 6 is various places in Idaho.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me, and let me know when you are around, and Ill see if I can get out for a day or to for a ride! :)

Ryan
Old 04-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #42
AL "FLYING CANUCK" OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndzr0 View Post
DO NOT miss Beartooth Pass. Try to hit it on a weekday, not as many cages, and not much law enforcement :)

Also, hell roaring plateau is a nice ride. Takes about an hour or so, Its on the right hand side of the canyon as you are heading toward Beartooth pass from Red Lodge. Its a few miles long with some serious elevation gains. Its a baby head road. Only take about 30 -45 min round trip.

As far as ADV stuff there isn't much in Yellowstone. Its scenic, but all paved, and 45 MPH and it has strict speed enforcement. It is a great place to go, lots to see, but keep that in mind.

That Pryor Mountain loop is nice. There are TONS of roads through the Pryors. There is also a heard of wild horses that lives up there. Several caves. Lots of mines on the south side. Lots a varying difficulty of terrain. There is kind of a main loot that runs through to most of the mountain range that is a very mild gravel road, and you can explore off of that wherever you see fit.

If you want to make a loop a bit further north, going south of Big Timber Montana is the Boulder River. That is a VERY scenic drive. Really deep canyon. You can go all of the way to blue lake, and there is a nice hike up to Monument Peak. It is an 11,000ft peak that is only about 1.5 hour hike. Insane views of tons of the Rockies.

It last bit 8 miles from big timber to blue lake is an unmaintained FS road, and is challenging. I would do it by myself on my F800, but it is tough. I run the same tire combo.

Not trying to promote anything, but here is our youtube Channel that has many of the areas I just mentioned.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ExpeditionOverland

Episode 1 is the boulder River and Blue lake.

Episode 2 is the pryors.

Episode 5 is beartooth Pass and Morrison Jeep trail.

(also some good adv stuff outside of Cooke city) (I would not recommend Morrison jeep trail on a super tenere. I took the wife's F650 twin, and I really struggled. I would never do it alone, and it would be/was a lot of work with help, But super awesome!!! )

Episode 6 is various places in Idaho.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me, and let me know when you are around, and Ill see if I can get out for a day or to for a ride! :)

Ryan

Thanks much / Merci Beaucoup Ryan!! .... Simply amazing stuff.. all kind of notes taken.....!!

I am still discovering back roads of Quebec after all these years... so I can imagine discovering Montana, Wyoming and Idaho alone would take a life time.....so many things to see and so many roads/trails to ride.....

Unfortunately I am just passing by in order to be in Calgary in 9 days from Ottawa but I will try to make the best of it by taking as many back roads as possible ..... and your help, time and advises are more than appreciated....

An amazing journey ahead of me.....can't wait to ride some of the Pryors....!!!

More to follow.................

Cheers / Santé

AL "FLYING CANUCK" screwed with this post 04-15-2013 at 02:50 AM
Old 04-15-2013, 10:43 PM   #43
oldtrout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Bonjour Al !!

I will be taking a route south from YVR through central Oregon - Nevada to loop around the Grand Canyon, then Monument Valley and north into Utah, Colorado, Wyoming for the good riding.

Should be hitting your path second week of June. Planning on hitting as many of the famous routes as time will allow. Beartooth, SJH, Lolo if I can. From there it will be back into Washington to Osoyoos, Kamloops and onto "Chateau Dubois" where my heart resides.

Will kept an eye open for you. If we link up, and you are into a side trip into south central BC, there is a place for you to crash within a days ride to Calgary.

I'm on a grey 2010 GSA lookin like the one in your Quebec trip. ( I guess they are getting pretty common these days) i do have a (now) pink jacket, so should be easy to spot.

Bon voyage and Ride safe mon Amis.

Logan
Old 04-16-2013, 09:34 AM   #44
AL "FLYING CANUCK" OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrout View Post
Bonjour Al !!

I will be taking a route south from YVR through central Oregon - Nevada to loop around the Grand Canyon, then Monument Valley and north into Utah, Colorado, Wyoming for the good riding.

Should be hitting your path second week of June. Planning on hitting as many of the famous routes as time will allow. Beartooth, SJH, Lolo if I can. From there it will be back into Washington to Osoyoos, Kamloops and onto "Chateau Dubois" where my heart resides.

Will kept an eye open for you. If we link up, and you are into a side trip into south central BC, there is a place for you to crash within a days ride to Calgary.

I'm on a grey 2010 GSA lookin like the one in your Quebec trip. ( I guess they are getting pretty common these days) i do have a (now) pink jacket, so should be easy to spot.

Bon voyage and Ride safe mon Amis.

Logan
Bonjour l'ami!!!

Woow! You are going to do a great trip…. looking forward to another amazing RR !!!

I will definitely keep an eye open for you … you never know....I should be in this area 18-22 June and in the Canadian Rockies 23 June-04 July!!

Thanks much for the offer!

All the best!

Old 04-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #45
AL "FLYING CANUCK" OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Bonjour

I would like to share this amazing picture of my friend and his wife taken last year at Moraine Lake near Lake Louise in the Canadian Rockies.....it is a must stop....same lake and mountains that we can see on the Canadian $20 dollar bill...

I will try to take a similar picture with my wife on the same bench....... hoping for good wheather.....

Cheers