User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
xrjockey OP
2real

Oddometer: 3
help with xr 600 dual sport conversion

i just did a dual sport conversion on my 85 xr 600. used a baja designs battery pack and got a ac dc rectifier from radio shack and made my own harness ect.
all the lighting is running off the battery, but the problem im having is when i fire it its putting out 16+ volts through the system. i changed the rectifier thinking i might have cooked it but didnt change anything. i was told i need to put a voltage regulator in besides the ac regulator. any one else run into this problem??
xrjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,822
I think you have answered your own question.

Voltage regulator regulates the voltage.

Baja Designs Regulator/Rectifier

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project

mcma111 screwed with this post 03-23-2013 at 06:29 PM
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Oddometer: 704
I agree with Steve, you need to regulate the voltage too if you want to have a proper 12V system.

I've always been curious to know how well the stock AC regulator would work if a rectifier was placed on its output to obtain DC. Do you have measurements showing how consistent the 16V DC is across the RPM range?

Considering the costs of a DS kit, I completely understand the motivation for rolling your own. However, you should check out the various wiring diagrams for the DS kits to understand the tradeoffs if you haven't already done so.

I have an 84 XR500 with the stock 75 watt stator and an older BD DS kit. It works well enough with the stock stator. If your 85 has this stator from Honda (and I think it does), then you should be able to put together a working setup including a decent horn.

If you do decide to use an aftermarket rectifier/regulator module, keep in mind that one side or the other must be isolated from the frame ground. On my kit, the stator ground connection (on the circular frame) for the lighting coil was disconnected, and a third wire was brought out of the housing to isolate the AC input of the rectifier/regulator from ground. So my pair of lighting coil wires only connects to the rectifier/regulator module. The battery and DC side of the system is grounded to the frame. Again, one or the other, but not both connected to the frame for grounding to get it to work as intended. Otherwise the regulator doesn't regulate properly.

For individual components, I think the TUSK parts sold at rockymountainatvmc.com are good deals:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...t-Wire-Harness
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...Universal-Horn
etc....
Ghost_Mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
xrjockey OP
2real

to wire the rectifier i un plugged the stock ac regulater and made a harness to tie into the stock harness back to the rectifier. so the ac regulater is pluged intothe stock location just with extra wires running to the rectifier. then made a harness for the dc side of the rectifier to the battery. from there i ran a power wire from the battery to the switches. with a 10 amp fuse in line. everthing on the dc side is grounded to the battery.
The only thing grounded to the frame is the ac regulater At first i ran everything to stock grounds and when i turned on my headlight voltage jumped to hundred volts at the battery. so ran the lighting to the negative side of the battery but still getting 16 plus volts. with the battery plugged in. it does climb
when the rpm goes up but peaks at about 16.8. still to high. I will get a voltage regulater see if that cures its.
thanks guys
Old 03-25-2013, 11:07 PM   #5
xrjockey OP
2real

Thumb

so today i finished wiring my hid headlight. fired the bike and checked voltage.
with the headlight off 16 volts turned the headlight on, dropped to 13.2 volts.
rev it up voltage doesn't go past 14.6. actually rode it a couple miles today.
still goin to put a voltage regulator in but at least i can ride it.