User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2013, 04:47 AM   #31
exile730
exile730

Oddometer: 67
Special K and the mighty DR - Nanga Road spin 20 July 2013

Rod and I got some spannering in first thing - new crash bars for the special K and a great job they are, too. Not too bad to fit and SW Mototech as good as ever on quality, fit and finish. Good team work on the fitting and bacon rolls with HP went down very well, I must say. A big thanks to Rod and Mrs Rod for a fine brekky!

After the hard work was done we had to do a test ride so off we went. Scarp Road for the fire track section and it was great. It was a bit cool but a really good ride. The bikes were on song and the boys did a bit better than last time. I find gravel a bit of a challenge but I am getting better so all good there. Rod was on track and his new crash bars looked mint and also gave a bit of peace of mind - it all helps.

Onto Dwellingup for the usual pie and a quick chat with Dave and Shelly at the Blue Wren. Good food, good company and good people. Make sure you drop by if you are up that way.

The spin home was a quick fang down Nanga Road and a bit of dirt that I have had my eye on for a few months now. It was a blast and some pix are below. It was good to be out as always and thanks to Rod for a great day.

Hope you like the scenery - a bit of sad sight but very dramatic land when you are on it.

exile730 screwed with this post 07-20-2013 at 11:42 PM
exile730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:25 AM   #32
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Ha ha, you beat me to it Brian! The time it took me to work out how to upload that video clip on to YouTube. Not to worry, I think I might have it figured out now so might manage some more video uploads if we come across anything interesting!

A great day. The riding was awesome. Personally I prefer it when it's a bit cooler and we have had a bit of rain on the dirt and the gravel. Makes it a little bit stickier and a lot less dusty!

It was funny comparing the bikes yesterday. The DR and KLR are totally different animals. The KLR is much more refined and the DR is very much an up and at 'em bike. If they were women you would definitely have to wine and dine the KLR, maybe take her to a movie or two, confess your undying love for her and maybe, only maybe then she would let you steal a kiss. With the DR I reckon you'd only have to buy her a beer and she'd be writhing about on top of you in the sack!

Different breeds but both excellent in their own right.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:23 AM   #33
exile730
exile730

an earlier vid up at Scarp Road, Dwellingup

Old 07-30-2013, 07:51 AM   #34
exile730
exile730

Talking some mid week farklin' - good on ya, Procycle!

there were a few spare pennies lying around so the 'tinternet' was hit!

my fat fingers did some spending and just one week later a box of beautiful bits landed from the good ol' US of A

to the mancave!!

the mighty DR would be getting new plastics, a tool tube, a number plate bracket and light, a ProCycle seat kit and a few stainless goodies ....

out with the old -

in with the new - simple but great

back end was sorted - lovely

new plastics and a stainless fender support - again clean and simple

from Suzi big bird

half done

loving the stealth and big bird hybrid

gonna try for a ride tomorrow and a trip to licensing for a little treat for the Mighty ..... will post tomorrow if all goes well!

Old 07-31-2013, 02:22 AM   #35
exile730
exile730

no ride today but an ADV treat was collected

the magic of Pro Cycle and a few farkles tidied things up a bit

Suzuki fans in our house as you have seen!

Old 08-01-2013, 05:25 AM   #36
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Great mods. Mighty looks brand new mate. Lets get her dirty on Saturday!
Old 08-01-2013, 05:28 AM   #37
exile730
exile730

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmuzwa View Post
Great mods. Mighty looks brand new mate. Lets get her dirty on Saturday!
Count me in - roll on the weekend!
Old 08-05-2013, 07:09 AM   #38
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, Sunday was out this week and Sat morning Brian had a run with his fellow Zed Heads so Sat arvo (afternoon) it was. The usual meet for coffee at the local Dome Coffee Shop around 1 and we were off again. No plan to go anywhere particular as the weather had been quite changeable but Saturday turned out to be quite warm, in the low 20s I believe. Brian has a new business venture as he is very much a tycoon in waiting so off we went looking at possible sites the venture can call home. All local stuff. Then a quick blast out to Nambeelup to look at some newly released rural residential building lots. Found a little bit of gravel to ride and some locals came over for a chat. Pleasant bunch they were too!

The locals:

Special K with her shiny new crash bars and Mighty with her shiny new everything:

Some nice setting sun shots:

And the countryside:

We would have have gone further up the gravel but a big bastard Roo hopped out in front of Brian and after my experience you might have read about earlier in the blog, I was unwilling to go any further. They are cute animals but very stupid and extremely dangerous for bikers.

In to North Dandalup for coffee and sausage rolls and home by 5pm. Another mini adventure in Western Australia. Many many more to come!
Old 08-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #39
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

If only it was light rain. It's been pissing down all week and its one of the wettest Augusts on record, which is great for the dams but not so good for riding my bikes. Had to take the car to work all week! The local farmers are still complaining though. Apparently the rain came too late for their crops! Last year the rain came too early for them! Must be shit to be a farmer. It seems nothing ever goes their way!
Anyway, more importantly, I will be riding this weekend, come rain, hail or shine. If it snows I'll have a re-think but as it has never snowed here since records began and most Western Australians wouldn't know snow if it bit them on the arse I reckon I'm probably pretty safe on that score!
It's Saturday, I'm not working and I live in a fantastic part of the planet so no reason not to be smiling. I love weekends!
Old 08-11-2013, 03:09 AM   #40
exile730
exile730

woohoo! no bloody rain so out we went

The Muzz and I were needing some thumper action - no rain so a few hours were had around the Dwellingup firetrails. We were more ambitious today and found our feet a bit more. I found my feet a bit too much but I'll come back to that.

Special K and the Mighty were selected and off we went.

One part looked like this

another part like this

we were around here-ish

the magic moving picture bit was like this

and this

The Muzz will post my fail heading uphill - too slow and it all started to go wrong. Oh the shame of it - the 'get off and push' - bloody hell. The Muzz stepped in and helped and then flew up with no dramas. Bugger!

Great spin and we survived - all good this end. Great ride from the Muzz and I will do better next time!
Old 08-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #41
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Very interesting ride today, and a bit more challenging than our usual runs. There has been a fair bit of rain round these parts lately so the trails were nicely compacted and a little muddy in parts, but nothing the Super Thumpers couldn't handle.

The area:

You can see from the google earth screenshot that we are blessed with lots of tracks and trails to explore and all on our doorstep! Some are graded gravel roads which are a bit of a nightmare to ride, and others, like the ones we did today are just forest tracks. We encountered some tricky parts, deeply rutted with large rocks and boulders and a covering of loose gravel sometimes several inches thick where it had been pushed into the centre and sides of the trails by the many 4 wheel drives that wander these forests. One hill proved a bit problematic for Brian. We got down ok, but very gingerly as the front wheels of our bikes slid into and out of the ruts thanks to the gravel. Getting back up was more difficult though. Brian went first as he is braver than me. About half way up his back wheel seemed to slide into one of the deeper ruts and he got stuck! He was very unlucky to be fair, but once he lost his forward momentum the Mighty DR was going nowhere as he couldn't get any traction on the damn gravel. A little push from both of us up the hill and all was good except for the fact that I was sweating buckets under my jacket and fleece. Luckily for me, I now knew the line not to take and gunned Special K up the other side of the track to the top. A good learning experience. Probably a good idea to walk through the obstacle before attempting to ride it! No damage and no injuries so all is still well with the world.

The problematic hill. Doesn't look much but it was a bugger to get back up it!

Some pics of the forest trails:

And the great Western Australia bush:

Can't wait to get back out there. Vids to follow once I get time to edit them and add appropriate tunes!
Old 08-12-2013, 06:14 AM   #42
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I wonder if anyone actually reads this stuff :)
Old 08-14-2013, 05:40 AM   #43
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

ifr
Old 08-14-2013, 08:37 AM   #44
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Old 08-17-2013, 11:30 PM   #45
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

What a great day!

What a day! I need to say it again, what a bloody day!

1200 hrs- usual meet up at Dome Pinjarra, but with a twist this time. A new member of the crew, if you can call two of us a crew that is. Old Jim joined us on his DR. Another bloody DR I hear you say, and yes you are correct. It appears that there is little or no taste in these parts, so obviously I need to find another KLR rider to balance the books. Anyway, the sun was shining with a few clouds in the sky but a perfect day for a ride. Or so we thought. Jim and I chewed the fat at Dome while we waited for Brian to arrive. He was a bit late as he was involved in the management of one of his many businesses this morning, and his Hot Chocolate nearly became cold chocolate while we waited. He turned up a few minutes after us and we hatched a plan to head down Nanga Road to Collie which is a South West Coal town. Easy peasy. A nice graded gravel blast all the way from Waroona. 73kms of pure fun.

Off we nearly went. I had to empty my gloves of pinebark mulch. No idea how the mulch got in there but it's never happened before and Old Jim has never ridden with us before. Hmmmmm! Brian had to fuel up at Waroona as his DR tanks holds something like 500ml of fuel so he needed a top up.

From there it was off through the hills to Nanga Road and the start of our intrepid adventure through the wilderness to Collie:

photo 101_1686_zps7a1442a4.jpg

Off we went and it soon started pissing down with rain. Our lovely clean shiny bikes were clean and shiny no more. The track is 73kms long and none of us had ever done it before so really we had no idea where we were going but knew that we should end up at Collie.

Jim and I had brought flasks of coffee so we stopped about 25 kms in for a quick brew and a biscuit. Brian sadly failed in his rather feeble attempts to procure some biscuits for us but made up for it in the shape of a Mars bar, a Snickers and a Twix! Luckily, Jim, a hardy and seasoned adventurer, also brought some museli bars.

photo 101_1687_zps3d6b8a87.jpg

Jim handing out the museli bars:

photo 101_1689_zpsab82bcea.jpg

Then there was some serious DR650 talk to be had. Clearly I was excluded as I am firmly in the KLR camp:

photo 101_1690_zps1b63bebc.jpg

We were then off again. I think Brian and Jim were intimidated and jealous of the sheer superiority of my KLR so showed it by buggering off as fast as they could so they didn't have to ride with me. I tend to ride at the back of the pack as I am usually slowest but also because I have the Contour to shoot the video!

The track was good. A fair bit of gravel but also quite a lot of smooth dirt which had been compacted by the rain so it was quite a fast run and we reached speeds in excess of 100kmh which I thought I could never say as I am usually quite conservative off and on road.

A good few kms later, through more pissing rain, which incidently I had no visibilty and had to try and peer through the gap between the top of my sunglasses and the top of the face of my helmet so I could see anything at all, and we reached a sealed road.

I stopped to take some happy snaps and shortly after Brian, followed by Jim came back to see if I had fallen off!

photo 101_1698_zpsd35ed8ea.jpg

Brian coming back:

photo 101_1692_zps264cfa4c.jpg

Jim coming back:

photo 101_1697_zps7c80d32a.jpg

A few more happy snaps of the area:

photo 101_1695_zps1fa55691.jpg

photo 101_1701_zps1cc2c2c5.jpg

photo 101_1704_zps0ab37c17.jpg

photo 101_1700_zpsaa7a493f.jpg

Then it was a nice scenic winding run on the tarmac into Collie for coffee and pies. But it wasn't Collie. It was Harvey and all the bakeries were closed. We couldn't believe it! Harvey is only 30 mins from Waroona where we started! Nevertheless it was a fantastic run through the forest and with Brian and Jim it was a brilliant laugh. It rained a lot but that didn't dampen our spirits and it was nice to ride with someone new in our little group. Jim certainly is good value and Brian was his usual affable self.

I didn't mean what I said about the DR's. I really think they are fantastic bikes even if they are built for farm work!

More little adventures to come soon and hopefully one day we will find our way to Collie. At least there is a McDonalds there!