User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 03:57 AM   #1
990 OP
Krap To Maintain

Oddometer: 191
10 k Service

Came to pay for my 10 k service and the price was almost twice the price of the quote for the service. Bmw decided to replace the air filter and replace the break fluid. They also put a thin cable tie (zip tie) on my key with the reg number on so and I thought I could just snap it off and ended up breaking the key. No the piece at the back does not have metal under the plastic - bummer

14 BMW GS 1200 LC
13 KTM 1190 Adv
08 KTM 990 Adv
990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:57 AM   #2
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by 990 View Post
Came to pay for my 10 k service and the price was almost twice the price of the quote for the service. Bmw decided to replace the air filter and replace the break fluid. They also put a thin cable tie (zip tie) on my key with the reg number on so and I thought I could just snap it off and ended up breaking the key. No the piece at the back does not have metal under the plastic - bummer
Well changing break fluid is part of the annual inspection - not involved in the 10k service. My air filter has been changed during the 20k service. Maybe you rode too much dirt so that they had to change it.
For the key it is a bummer but you can feel that there is no metal at the back side and I never managed to snap a zip tie off o0.

How much did you end up paying? For my 20k service (with air filter and annual service) I paid 200 so that should be around 260$?
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
990 OP
Krap To Maintain

I'm in South Africa and and if you convert Rands to dollars it's about $230 so its about the same. The two charges that irritate me are $20 to adjust the chain and charge the battery. I just had the chain adjusted when I put a K60 on at KTM (no BMW deal in our town). But hey it's only money.

14 BMW GS 1200 LC
13 KTM 1190 Adv
08 KTM 990 Adv
Old 03-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Quote:
I'm in South Africa and and if you convert Rands to dollars it's about $230 so its about the same. The two charges that irritate me are $20 to adjust the chain and charge the battery. I just had the chain adjusted when I put a K60 on at KTM (no BMW deal in our town). But hey it's only money.
20$ to adjust the chain and charge the battery? WTF? well maybe they always charge that but put it in the 'maintenance time' so that people don't f*ck about it. What got me off was 5.40 for cleaning and greasing <- should also be about the chain but for 5.40 I can get a whole can of grease and my chain is never not greased so f*ck that.
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:

Old 03-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
Jays-f800gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
I should take a break and go change my "Brake" fluid.
Jays-f800gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays-f800gs View Post
I should take a break and go change my "Brake" fluid.
you say tomato, I say tomahto it's like quite and quiet.... what a messed up language, n'est-ce pas
Quote:

Old 03-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #7
toniguedes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Here in Brazil I've paid about usd 495 for the 10k service.
Besides the brake fluid, air filter and motor oil, the rear brake pads were also replaced.

I found it very expensive!
toniguedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #8
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Quote:
Originally Posted by toniguedes View Post
Here in Brazil I've paid about usd 495 for the 10k service.
Besides the brake fluid, air filter and motor oil, the rear brake pads were also replaced.

I found it very expensive!
rear brake pads at 10k? how are you driving that bike mate?
Quote:

Old 03-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #9
toniguedes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
rear brake pads at 10k? how are you driving that bike mate?

Actually it was at 8.5k
I belive that's because I use my bike mostly for daily commute under heavy traffic at urban areas... but maybe I'm doing something wrong.
toniguedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #10
990 OP
Krap To Maintain

Shoo that sounds hectic mate just changed his pads on a 1200 at 40 k. My rear brake fluid was dark but that's how it was from new. Its a very light color now so it was changed. I only use back breaks in a pinch on the tar and to change direction on the gravel but the pads look almost new. Check your rotor if its worn then you might be riding your back break?

14 BMW GS 1200 LC
13 KTM 1190 Adv
08 KTM 990 Adv
Old 03-25-2013, 09:38 AM   #11
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Any reason you don't want to do the service in the future yourself? This might be motivation to do it!

But I also know that some people don't have the time, space, and tools which might be your situation... But its fun! I learn something every time I work on a vehicle. I also trust my bike more with my work. Now go ride!

2011 F800GS Alpine White, 1998 KDX 200, 2000 KL250G Super Sherpa
DSJ's Shenanigans
dirtysouthjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #12
990 OP
Krap To Maintain

I would like nothing better, I have had a quite a few scary dealings with dealers (yoke bolts left loose etc) but in SA if you service your own bike the warranty falls away........ I always check all the bolts when someone has worked on my bike

14 BMW GS 1200 LC
13 KTM 1190 Adv
08 KTM 990 Adv
Old 03-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #13
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Quote:
I would like nothing better, I have had a quite a few scary dealings with dealers (yoke bolts left loose etc) but in SA if you service your own bike the warranty falls away........ I always check all the bolts when someone has worked on my bike
know that feeling... happily mine expires in 3 months so the fun part can start. Planning on doing my last service to BMW there (30.000kms) just in case something can still be taken under warranty and then off we go flying with my own wings . I mean this forum is filled with everything you need
Quote:

Old 03-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #14
JRose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtysouthjacket View Post
Any reason you don't want to do the service in the future yourself? This might be motivation to do it!

But I also know that some people don't have the time, space, and tools which might be your situation... But its fun! I learn something every time I work on a vehicle. I also trust my bike more with my work. Now go ride!
A couple of $250 services could buy all the tools you need to completely disassemble Johnny-5...

I recommend wrenching your own to everyone I ride with. When on the trail, you'll come to appreciate the familiarity of knowing how your machine ticks.
JRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:53 PM   #15
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Bummer..

2011 F800GS Alpine White, 1998 KDX 200, 2000 KL250G Super Sherpa
DSJ's Shenanigans
dirtysouthjacket is offline   Reply With Quote