User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
mtbenson OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
R90/6 saddlebag question

I bought a '75 R90/6 last year that came with a set of Krauser bags and chrome tubular mounts that the previous owner bought but never mounted on the bike. In attempting to put the mounts on today, the bolt holes lined up at the top shock mounts and next to the passenger pegs. However, things didn't line up where the bolt at the back is to tie together the left and right mounts and pass through a sleeve that is attached to the rear frame loop just under the back edge of the seat. It also looks like the bags might foul the taillight if they did go on. The mounts are in excellent condition and don't look like they've been bent, intentionally or otherwise.

The PO had lent the bags and mounts to a friend to put on his '73 R60/5 when we went to the MOA national at Bloomsburg. As far as I know, everything had bolted right up to the R60.

I'm wondering if these are actually mounts for a /5 that won't fit my /6. Any guidance would be appreciated. I probably could take photos of the mounts if that would help. Also, if I have the wrong mounts, will these Krauser bags fit the mounts that do go on a /6? The bags have the seatbelt-buckle type fastener.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 3,199
That '73 may have been a short wheelbase model, in which case they won't fit on your /6. Yes, the bags will fit the later racks. The seat belt style is the later design.
Big Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbenson View Post
I bought a '75 R90/6 last year that came with a set of Krauser bags and chrome tubular mounts that the previous owner bought but never mounted on the bike. In attempting to put the mounts on today, the bolt holes lined up at the top shock mounts and next to the passenger pegs. However, things didn't line up where the bolt at the back is to tie together the left and right mounts and pass through a sleeve that is attached to the rear frame loop just under the back edge of the seat. It also looks like the bags might foul the taillight if they did go on. The mounts are in excellent condition and don't look like they've been bent, intentionally or otherwise.

The PO had lent the bags and mounts to a friend to put on his '73 R60/5 when we went to the MOA national at Bloomsburg. As far as I know, everything had bolted right up to the R60.

I'm wondering if these are actually mounts for a /5 that won't fit my /6. Any guidance would be appreciated. I probably could take photos of the mounts if that would help. Also, if I have the wrong mounts, will these Krauser bags fit the mounts that do go on a /6? The bags have the seatbelt-buckle type fastener.
If the seat mount hole on the racks is too far back you can relocate it with a pair of adapto-plates. Fabricate from 3/16 steel. you can get steel strap from Home Despot or the like. You want to braze the plates to the rack. This can be done at home with inexpensive gear. Alternative would be Grade 10 bolts, red stud locker and a lot of torque. Then the tail light assembly must be moved back. I made a plate for this that moved them several inches. Stainless plate with 6 holes drilled in it (for some custom boxes I made.) It worked fine. I went with 4 holes in the fender (added 2) and then 2 holes for the tail light assembly. Full width of the flat on the fender. Looked fine. Painted steel would work too. I was concerned with more vibration on the tail light or stress on the fender. Didn't happen in a whole lot of miles.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote