User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2005, 10:26 AM   #1
Cooltours OP
Rider of passion

Oddometer: 1,475
Rocks'n'Roll, the Garmisch way to Italy

First timer with poor English language skills and much poorer writingskills doesnt want to hide some neat pictures of last bikeride through the heart of Europe.

So you folks will excuse some not too funy expressions as they might have been translated directly from German into English language only by the help of an old wordbook and therefore might rapidly have lost allready in Mothertoungue poor portion of humor.

However, I guess it might be nice to see some Rocks and to hear about a great Rollin!

Since my sweetheart is Italian and since she's not too keen about motobikeing if there is not a clear declared target at the end of every day, I once in a while set up a trip to my parents in law. They live in the northern part of Italy, are wonderfull people, cook phantastic pasta and have lots of nice bottles of Italian red wine in their basement. The place they are living is right far enough to stay away from home some days. Anyway it's close enough to do a nice trip down there over a stretched weekend. Much more important at all: The place is right on the other side of the Alps, wich, you migh guess it, can be crossed on several great ways!

I topped my cleverness in planning this year! Managing to set up the first stop of our trip south at the BMW Motorrad Meetingt in Garmisch is a little of a masterpiece, as happenings like this indeed are not in the taste of my loved one!

As I don't know the corner around GAP too good, I just downloaded the BMW-suggested trip from Zurich to Garmisch. It promised to be a nice 4hrs trip trough the smouth hills of Germany's Allgaeu, the very right start of a trip I was hungry for since quiet a while.

Much faster than expected we found ourselves finally at Garmisch. As we cought a bad weather front and followed it all the way east, putting our raingear on and of, we just hadn't the eye to enjoye the landscape or any kind of nice countryside villages of southern Germany.

So beside jumping into and out of the raingear there was the no stops we made.

Much different the arrival at Garminsch!! We've booked a room at Grainau long in advance and after dropping off all the equipment at the Hotel, I couldn't resist anymore to go to the meeting area. MAAAAN! Some 10- or more tousand bikes!!!? I couldn't beliefe what I saw!

Right at the moment we parked our goat at the accessroad, the official Saturday afternoon ride must have been in progress to start. Hundreds of bikes lined up on the side of the street and back on all the parking areas.

And as I finally parked my goat on the sidewalk, the convoy started.

Well,I must admit; I'm not a very experianced guy if it comes to motorbike meetings. But I'm quite sure that allmost everyone here gets, let's say excited, when 1000 or more motorbikes start to a convoy-ride wichs head is allready back when its tail is starting!!!! Fuuuck guys, I tell you, this is very hard to top!

Deeply impressed we turned arround and walked the short distance up to the festival-area. But what's that?!? I did expect to find some empty parking areas, maybe the bikes from some guy's with a bad hangover still parking. I mean I was watching bikes leaving for the last 20 minutes! There must have left almost even the very last bike? But, NO!! There was maybe 10000 motorbikes standing there....

...on SEVERAL parkings!

Yes, I must have arrived right at the gates of paradise! Imediately lost every feeling for time, lost any orientation and finally even lost my babe for quiet a while;-( What can I say... there was all kind of crazy bikes to see:

..there was great food in all kind of shape..

...nice racks...

...some famouse racks (I unfortunately not only missed Dirks show at the Travel-Point, but also missed the visit of Charley! Really would have liked to catch him with an ADVRider-Salute)...

...and of course a party-tent with too less seats:

So after we visited the livingroom of the festival, we of course was also keen on seeing it's sleeping-room...

Later on, I just managed to shoot a short cut out of Garmisch's downtown:

Sunday morning started very promising, some blue spots on the sky led me to take the same shot probably each of the other 30'000 visitors took as well. The Zugspitze and my loved ones!

We left Garmisch early and did soon turn east again onto the private road between Wallgau and Vorderiss. A very great ride along the River of Isar.

Here, and still for the next few hours, one met plenty of groups which obviousely came from GAP as well.

Later in the morning we hit one of the roads which I always wanted to ride, only not yet managed to do it anyway. The road, as every decent bikers road within the Alps, is closed during wintertime. But now, it is opened and easier than I thought we hit onto the Zillertaler Hoehenstrasse.

Well, what can I say but; It is a real hootie!!! A very narrow, winding road leading above the tree border...

...and presenting the traveller breathtaking outlooks down to the green valley on one side.

Views over to the snow covered Alpine peaks, there where we plan to go...

We took the Gerlosspass in a rush of adrenaline, I infact resist as well the temptation to make a stop at the breathtaking waterfalls that area has to offer. V just somehow managed to convince me at least stopping for a second to take a shot from theme from the distance!

Too much more was to come today for me to stop the orgy of curves and empty roads! Another long time dream of me close ahead to come true when we left the rip-off station at it's bottom: THE GROSSGLOCKNER HOCHALPENSTRASSE.

This road leads you, as the name already says, over the Grossglockner Mountains. It's not only a simple Alpine pass. Much more it is a whole system of roads over, around and into this Mountains. Even here, outlooks which make you feel small and insignificant...

...and a pass-level of not too bad 2504m/7500ft

Tired and happy about all the adventures we experienced today we arrived at the little town of Austria's Lienz. Disapointed only by the fact, that in my mind I somehow mixed up Lienz with Linz and expected the delicious speciality of a Linzer-Torte for dessert in vain!

Next part to come soon!

Cooltours screwed with this post 10-17-2006 at 01:37 AM
Cooltours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 10:36 AM   #2
Kingsqueak
Wannabe

Oddometer: 820
Great job on the report, thanks for sharing.
Kingsqueak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 05:07 AM   #3
Cooltours OP
Rider of passion

Way too fast our southern most destination was reached on the next day. We drove through the area which I planned to come back again the next day on a soloride. Plenty of time to take pics (I was thinking)!

So when we arrived in Sedico/Belluno, the sky again broke up and instead of having long chats with mom'n'dad in law I'd loved to turn around towards the last peaks of the Dolomites!

Cooltours screwed with this post 10-17-2006 at 01:40 AM
Old 07-14-2005, 05:16 AM   #4
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,152
Excellent report, beautiful pictures, and your command of English is definitely no worse than some Americans who post often on this board!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 05:27 AM   #5
Dingo Joe
Frick You...

Oddometer: 4,823
Old 07-14-2005, 05:55 AM   #6
Cooltours OP
Rider of passion

Early on the very next day I started my day-trip to where ever the chance might guid me! It occurred that I headed south first to meet passo di S. Boldo, which, as some signes on the road said, must be in bad condition. The hills here are rather smooth, right nice enough to start a long ride.

But much more I got excited in which great condition Passo di S. Boldo was! I soon got sure, that just somebody was too lazy to put away the warning signs after the road construction have been finished.
I only should have turned around to take the picture of the 10 hairpins which corners went through a short tunnel on each side. A very picturesc view!

At Fregona...

...another very scenic piece of road began. I turned already back northbound, and after a short rise from La Crossetta one had a really great view over the flatland beneath.

Soon after, less curves, more woods and cows, some hikers... and promissing pieces of Rocks in the distance!

Overview

After this rather smooth rollin', it was highly time for some rocks! Turning west at Langorone, the road finally led me into the heart of the Dolomites and windes curly to Cortina, it's little touristical poisoned capitol. Nevertheless the way is the target and it is pure - pleasure indeed. One simply can't imagin, how many curves can be built one after the other!

The very center of the fun, there, where the rocks names sounds like music! There, where the "Who's Who", the VIP's, the Brad Pitt's and Heidi Klum's of the Dolomite can be found whithin closest space:
  • Passo di Falsarego 2105m/6950ft
  • Passo di Valparola 2192m/7240ft
  • passo di Gardena 2121m/7000ft
  • Passo di Sella 2244m/7410ft
  • Passo di Pordoi 2299m/7590ft and
  • Passo di Campolongo 1875m/6200ft.
All of them one is riding up, and on the other side down! 600m altitude to 2200m and back to 600m again only to go up to 2400m again and back to 500m... as you have to go up to 2300m again for going down than to maybe 600m again!!! Aweeeeeehaw!!! AND....! YOU DO THAT ALL RIGHT ONE AFTER THE OHTER! In an enldless rush of shifting gears and flipping bike from left to right to left to righ.....!

Rocks...

.... and more Rocks...

...and some rocks again...

Even roads for "Rolling" the "big artist" upthere didn't forget as one can see in the last picture and even below.

Overview:

Darn, tought I can finish this report today.... well, quiet a bit more to come soon;-)
FYYFF

Cooltours screwed with this post 10-17-2006 at 01:47 AM
Old 07-14-2005, 06:02 AM   #7
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1150gsadventure
I got excited in which great condition Passo di S. Boldo was! I only should have turned around to take the picture of the 10 hairpins which corners went through a short tunnel on each side. A very picturesc view!
Great fotos and ride report...brings back memories. Glad to see you had excellent weather as well.

Passo di San Boldo from my 2001 tour...fun pass, wasn't it.

Euro & North American Travel & Technical Stuff for the R1150 GS & Adventure

Euro & Alps Motorcycle Tours - Priced Right, How to go about

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.....A. Einstein
Global Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 06:05 AM   #8
Cooltours OP
Rider of passion

Foooo......!!!!! Huhhhhh! How cool!!!!!! Yes that's exactly the pic I didn't take as I was to "drunk" to turn arround! Thanks mate!
Old 07-14-2005, 06:12 AM   #9
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1150gsadventure
Funny how we all take fotos from the same location, it isn't like there is a sign that says "take foto here".

Passo Falzarego...with that hairpin tunnel on the way down to Arabba. Nice wasn't it? Du hast glück das du dort wohnst. How is my German? It is better after a few biers.

Euro & North American Travel & Technical Stuff for the R1150 GS & Adventure

Euro & Alps Motorcycle Tours - Priced Right, How to go about

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.....A. Einstein
Global Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 06:30 AM   #10
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,485
A most excellent ride report!
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 06:45 AM   #11
Cooltours OP
Rider of passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Global Rider
..How is my German...? It is better after a few biers.
No question, it's an A+ so far!
Old 07-14-2005, 06:46 AM   #12
bruno twip
On Island Time

Oddometer: 403
Great ride report, thanks for sharing.

The trip must havre been great, makes me want to go and visit my Uncle in Hauf
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Mark Twain
bruno twip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 07:37 AM   #13
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,212
Excellent report! Thanks for taking the time to post it. I thought your writing was very good; it is certainly better than some of the "regular" posters.

I used to live in Bad Tolz and did quite a bit of skiing in the Garmisch area; it was very nice to see that part of the world again.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 08:52 AM   #14
geg
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,048
Rene,

I just want to say a few things....

it starts with FYYFF! that is the best part of the world & I wish I was there RIGHT NOW! Thanks for posting the pictures and reminding me I need to get back to Europe soon!

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
geg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 09:36 AM   #15
thencamebronson
Takin' a trip?

Oddometer: 726
Excellent report. I was stationed in Vicenza from 92-95 and spent many happy days riding the Dolomites. Went to Pass San Boldo one day when I was on convalescent leave from a knee operation. Very tricky on the damp tornantes in the tunnels. I wish my in laws lived in Belluno, you are molto fortunato.
thencamebronson is online now   Reply With Quote