ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
avocadofarmer OP
Fruit Coot

Oddometer: 254
Carb tuning question...

Hi,

I'm having this odd issue with my 06 950 Adv...It's mostly stock with just a H2W jet kit suited for my elevation (1500 ft). Floats set at 3.

When I wind it out (say WOT to around the redline) and then shift and get back into it, there is a noticeable (around 1 second?) delay between whacking the throttle back open and the bike accelerating. It's really not too bad, just annoying at times.

Any pointers on what to look for?

Also, I'm going to go with a air box delete and big ITG filter. Where would be a good place to pick up some larger low/main jets?
avocadofarmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
keener
Speed changes you.

Oddometer: 925
Cpr

do you know about this?
http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/about-us...c8-air-filter/
Old 03-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,595
The carburetors CV slides not opening quick enough.. Not sure why, but this is the area I'd check into.. Not a common complaint.
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Are the carbs clean? Mostly the circuit that makes the vacuum to the diaphragm's, also check for vacuum leaks. Sounds like a delay in the vacuum due to dirt or leakage.
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:59 PM   #5
avocadofarmer OP
Fruit Coot

Ya, I know about the CPR filter...the setup I'm going for is $150. CPR seems overly expensive...

The carbs were cleaned and everything was well sorted last time I had the carbs out (a year ago). I think this problem existed for quite a while...can't quite figure out when exactly.

I'll definitely examine the slides once I get into it. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:09 PM   #6
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by avocadofarmer View Post
Ya, I know about the CPR filter...the setup I'm going for is $150. CPR seems overly expensive...

The carbs were cleaned and everything was well sorted last time I had the carbs out (a year ago). I think this problem existed for quite a while...can't quite figure out when exactly.

I'll definitely examine the slides once I get into it. Thanks.
Thanks again!

So many things can cause this sort of hesitation. generally a lazy throttle is from being overly rich. Could also be a lean 'cough' from a vacuum leak, ethanol sludge (stuff doesn't take long), sticky slide, bad diaphragm, loose cable, bad sync, wrong needle position, etc... etc...
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:14 PM   #7
pdxmotorhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
Check the diaphragms when you have the carbs off,, if they have hardened up they wont react fast enough.. + all the other points above..

Cheers
Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
avocadofarmer OP
Fruit Coot

Will be getting into this later this week...

I'm going to put a CPR filter onto my 950 with stock exhausts.

Going to be at about 1000 ft elevation. 175/178 mains, 42 pilots, 60 IAJ's...what's the forum wisdom about doing this with the catalytic exhausts? Anyone done it?

I like current sound, lack of exhaust smell, and the absence of worry if the state ever mandates exhaust sniffing for motos...
Old 04-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,321
Quote:
Will be getting into this later this week...

I'm going to put a CPR filter onto my 950 with stock exhausts.

Going to be at about 1000 ft elevation. 175/178 mains, 42 pilots, 60 IAJ's...what's the forum wisdom about doing this with the catalytic exhausts? Anyone done it?

I like current sound, lack of exhaust smell, and the absence of worry if the state ever mandates exhaust sniffing for motos...
Have you removed the Supplemental Air System? If so, the cats will eventually fail without the supplemental air. Stock exhaust and SAS go together.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #10
avocadofarmer OP
Fruit Coot

Nah...the SAS is still present and accounted for...
Old 04-15-2013, 07:11 AM   #11
kingrj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Hi,

I'm having this odd issue with my 06 950 Adv...It's mostly stock with just a H2W jet kit suited for my elevation (1500 ft). Floats set at 3.

When I wind it out (say WOT to around the redline) and then shift and get back into it, there is a noticeable (around 1 second?) delay between whacking the throttle back open and the bike accelerating. It's really not too bad, just annoying at times.

Any pointers on what to look for?

Also, I'm going to go with a air box delete and big ITG filter. Where would be a good place to pick up some larger low/main jets?

All the suggestions you got were good possibilities...Another thought is that unless you have removed them. 950's have electric solonoids for each carb that reduce the rate of the vacuum lift for the slide diaphragms in 1st and second gear. If that little vacuum line is broken or somehow the solonoids get stuck open it will delay your throttle response in all gears. Just another possibility..Good luck!
kingrj is offline   Reply With Quote