User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #31
Lee990Adventure
Lee1190Adventure

Oddometer: 22
Spaces?

Hi, just acquired my new 1190 Adventure and have run it in, wondered if i could tag along? Would my bike, with Stock conti
tyres, be Suitable for the type of terrain you have planned?

I'm based near Bristol and can hear Salisbury plain calling!

Cheers,

Les
Lee990Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:24 PM   #32
Possu OP
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,218
An 1190 on stock tyres will be okay for the gravel sections of Salisbury but not so good on anything else including chalk climbs, lots of ruts (many overgrown) and some mud.

I need to know by Wednesday evening if you're attending.

Steve
Old 08-20-2013, 01:36 AM   #33
Pumpy
Exiled Pumpernickel

Oddometer: 1,099
Les, I had a 990 in my group at the last outing and it was very hard work for Windy - even though he has done this a few times before and was on decent tyres. So hard that he didn't ride with us on the Sunday...

There is also a high probability that you will come off and damage your bike, especially on the rutted lanes and chalky hills if the forecast rain materialises during this week.

Have a look at the report of the ADV Wiltshire Weekend last month and make your mind up. (Just remember that on the most difficult bits you can't stop and take pictures... )

Cheers, Ela
Old 08-23-2013, 05:50 AM   #34
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,785
the more the merrier?

peet and i are now on the m25 enjoying the friday traffic.

should be there at 15.00u
tehdutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #35
Lee990Adventure
Lee1190Adventure

Oddometer: 22
Thanks for your honesty guys, hope you have a great weekend and look forward to the photos next week.

Regards,
L
Lee990Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #36
Possu OP
de-nOObed!

Back home after an excellent weekend of riding, a few falls but no real injuries, Matt and Mike didn't get too drunk and generally behaved themselves.

Anyone fancy starting a ride report?
Old 08-26-2013, 06:21 AM   #37
Chrisbarnes1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Clogfest

I left the campsite just as Matt left for another morning on the trails--on his own!!--we were the last to leave. Got home at 11 am this morning (mon).

A great weekend with great company (and support from the girls)--and despite an "electrical" on the first day (on Pumpy's CRF230 ) we got plenty of miles in--the last group to arrive back on both days. We had our share of minor offs, but no injuries thank goodness (except that I managed to split a UFO knee protector--it worked!)--the long grass covering ruts being the usual downfall. A superb job by Pumpy--seamless navigation, and with historical notes thrown in--and no time wasting allowed--and ice cream !
Chris

Chrisbarnes1 screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 08:41 AM
Chrisbarnes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #38
laouen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Bruised and battered, aching all over and blisters on my hand: all evidence of a brilliant weekend out on the trails in Wiltshire

A huge thank you to Pumpy for showing us all those beautiful lanes and the icecream! And to the rest of the 'girl team' for picking me up on numerous occasions

I had a great time riding and I think I almost came to grips with the ruts in the end
laouen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #39
duibhceK
duibhce Kaelann

Oddometer: 368
Another great weekend in Wiltshire!
Thanks, Steve, for having us over again. And to all the ride leaders and tail enders for showing us around this wonderful countryside.

On Saturday Mike led us around on a nicely varied course with some nice sections of the Wayfarer's Walk. Some lanes I still remembered from last year and some new to me. All-in-all an excellent ride.

I was really looking forward to the lanes that Steve had in store for Sunday. But after a pretty hard smack on my back in a slippery rutted lane I had to bale out. The doc earlier today reassured me the pain would become more bearable in a day or 2, so I would be able to get back to work by then. Riding motorbikes will still be painful for about 2 more weeks, meaning I will able to throw my leg over a bike again just in time for riding around France for a week...

It seems I do have some muscles on my back and the doc knows just where to push her thumb in to make me sing like Matt on Bushmill's

Anyway, I'll survive and it was great to meet up with everyone again and also to see some new faces. I hope to ride and share stories with all of you again soon.
duibhceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #40
stamp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Thanks for an excellent day, it was good to meet you all and im glad no one hesitated to take the micky out of my massive fuel tank

Hope to ride with you all again soon, even if you have a 2 stroke

Adam
stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #41
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamp View Post
Thanks for an excellent day, it was good to meet you all and im glad no one hesitated to take the micky out of my massive fuel tank

Hope to ride with you all again soon, even if you have a 2 stroke

Adam
What's wrong with my little 2smoker?

Thanks to all who took the time and effort to show us around Wiltshire!

I bet Peet had a blast and I somehow enjoyed the ruts from time to time too

Only a small lay down from my end that Steve said he wouldn't mention and public! What happened in Wiltshire stays in Wiltshire was the promise made.

Hard to believe there are still that many lanes around that we can all enjoy and I appreciate the effort all trf members put in to keep them open.

No pics taken by my but there might be some video material from other people in the coming weeks.

Like I said, thanks again for the effort you all put in!

I'll happily return the favour should you ever wish to come to Holland and go out for a ride to spot some clogs!

Antal
tehdutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:42 AM   #42
muddymatt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Big thanks to Steve for organising the Clogfest as usual I had a great time despite early (for me) to the van each night.

It was great seeing a few new faces as well as the usual suspects I am surprised more people didn't put their names down for this as the riding and location is fantastic.

Sat was a ride led by Steve over towards Harwell doing plenty of ruts but covering some great countryside.

Sun John from Wilts TRF led us South across the Plain towards Salisbury doing some fantastic new lanes that I hadn't done before twisty and tight wooded ones which are unusual around the plain.

After a socialable meal and a few beers on Sun night with the stragglers that remained I headed off on my own before 0730. Peet and Anthoine had already departed and Jo was supervising as Sophie carried out the breaking of camp. Mr Barnes was also up and about and headed off as I left the campsite.

I headed off towards Avebury enjoying the solitude of the lanes even the Ridgeway was empty. I enjoyed the climb up Heddington Steps before dropping down into Devizes to refuel. More lanes follwed as I headed over North of Marlborough. A pleasant road trip through Savernake Forest led me over to the training area North of Tidworth where I went on the Cat 1 surfaced gravel tracks and Byways back down to the Great Bustard breeding centre. I was lucky enough to see 10-15 of these birds in the open in the release pens a first for me. As I needed to be back for 1300 hrs I carried on exploring all of the permissive Byways on the Plain as even though they are signed on the ground they don't appear on any maps.

As ever when the weather is good my time on the trails was coming to an end so I headed back towards Wilcot arriving back just after 13:00 having managed a very respectable 130 miles another great day out.

Appologies for no photos I seem to not be taking as much these days something I need to rectify.

Until the next time.

Matt
muddymatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #43
Possu OP
de-nOObed!

Thanks to everyone who attended, especially Ela and Mike F for leading and to Matt and Chris Barnes for tailending.

Friday saw people arriving sporadically through the afternoon and in to the evening. We'd all gone to bed by 10pm when Adam (Stamp) arrived so he had to wait until breakfast to introduce himself.

Saturday saw me lead Peet, Antal and Matt on a 139 mile loop up past Marlborough, along the Ridgeway, then out to Ramsbury, Hilldrop Lane to Aldbourne, Lambourn, Eastbury, East Garston, Great Shefford and on to Langdon Hill near Aston Tirrold before heading west to Ginge Brook, Slippery Bridge Lane and then on to the Lambourn. Peet was tiring because of the ruts and headed back to Wilcot from just north of Lambourn. The rest of headed south, taking in all the trails we could find before heading back to Wilcot where we met up with Mike's group in Bluebell Woods, from where we rode back as one group.

During the day both Peet and Antal did well to limit the number of falls they had as both are very unfamiliar with ruts although Antal had it a bit easier on Beta 300RR than Peet did riding his 690. Near West Ilsley I found this little guy on the trail, he'd fallen down from the foliage in the bank above and couldn't get back up, so after taking a pic, we gave him a helping hand back up the bank.

That's this evening's Starter taken care of:

Bert will be sorely disappointed to have missed this years Clogfest, his favourite lane from last year:

Has been graded and reduced to this:

The rumour is that the lane was graded at Bert's request, based on Health & Safety grounds.

Once back Matt was quick off the starters block in the race for the shower, followed by the rest of us in due course. Saturday saw an evening of laughs and good food. Something was wrong with Mike and Matt as both retired to bed before last orders and still quite sober! Before I could eat and shower though, I had to get Ela's CRF230 going again, a wire had popped out of the connector block on the back of the ignitor box, leading to a lack of a spark.

Sunday saw another fine breakfast from the Golden Swan staff before we headed off on to the trails. Reduced numbers saw three smaller groups with Matt heading off with Mike and John and replaced by Jo on his WR450. Unfortunately an altercation with a fence on the first lane of the day bought an end to Jo's riding that day. This left just Peet and Antal with me so I decided to leave out the overgrown rutted trails around Avebury and head out to Heddington Steps, the trails around the A4 and A361 and then on to the Ridgeway but only after a coffee in Avebury. It wasn't long before we had lunch at the café near Chiseldon Services, more trails and then a final break in Marlborough before returning to Wilcot after 90 miles.

I'd already showered, loaded my bike and tidied the van before Ela arrived at about 5.30pm having had a great days riding. Before heading home we settled with Dave Coupland for the camping and breakfasts. Thanks again to Dave, wife Pat and son Calum for looking after us so well (as they always do). A total of £141.00 was raised for the Wiltshire Air Ambulance, a cheque for that amount will be in the post tomorrow - thank you to everyone for donating.

My video's didn't turn out so well due to operator error but I hope to have a short video finished soon.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #44
Pumpy
Exiled Pumpernickel

Oddometer: 1,099
Seeing the lack of photographic evidence (thanks for your great feedback though!), I'd better post a few of my pics before anyone thinks the whole event didn't happen...

As it's peak season at work for me, I couldn't leave Oxford until 6pm and thus arrived so late that I completely missed Peet's clogs!

Thanks to Peet for making the effort of dressing up for the occasion (thereby honouring its title), and to Chris for posting proof.

The others had already gathered around the dinner table (clockwise from left): Possu, Dirty Peet, Tehdutchie, Laouen and DuibhceK.

MuddyMatt: Oh dear, Ela is counting my pints...

Chris Barnes: Well, I stick to the little ones...

Bedtime was unusually early that evening - I think by 9.30pm we had all retired to our sleeping bags...

More riders arrived on Saturday morning - even in time for breakfast! Clockwise from my chair: Possu, Dirty Peet, Stamp, Laouen, MuddyMatt, Chris Barnes and DuibhceK

Peter M - just back from a 'Competent Crew' sailing course down in Portsmouth...

... and Ilse and Nick, looking forward to their handful (or mouthful... ) of egg-sausage-and-bacon-baps

Chris had made me some sophisticated carbon engine protection bits for my new CRF - I was even more delighted when the fitting was included in the price!

With Mike F showing up as well, we split into three groups and were off just after 9am (ok, 9:15...)

The East Kennett Ridgeway is always a bit of a gamble after recent rain (as DuibhceK found out the hard way on Sunday... ), but this morning every one made it over Lurkeley Hill upright - Laouen...

... and the rest of the gang

Ilse, Candice, Nick and Chris

Poulton Downs

Nick making a splash

Smoking in public, ts ts ts...

Laouen on the mighty DRZ

Candice didn't mind getting dirty...

... while Chris preferred to take evasive action

The traditional break on Snap Lane

Chris knows how to impress the ladies...

Hey, Nick, where did you leave the others?

The rules are strict: if you don't look after the rider behind you and lose the group, you have to buy everyone a drink in the evening...

Fortunately, here they are!

Anyone we know?

Nick then quickly rode to the other side of the humongous puddle to take videos of us going through...

... and he probably thought he'd get away with it...

But not with us...

No pressure, Nick...

No problem, girls!

Jugg's Wood

Another deceptive grassy lane...

Chris on the Wayfarer's Walk

Last year the grass was this high - huh, last month it was that high!

And then it was me who temporarily lost the group...

Time to admire the views from Inkpen Hill

Apparently someone - who shall remain unnamed - needed a little nap...

Wasn't me!

Nick should have it all on video...

Still one missing...

Trusty tail-end Chris bringing up the rear

The Three Graces...

Yes, Nick, you may touch them...

Actually, this was the set-up for a group photo, which we are holding our breath to see...

And suddenly it was already 2pm and high time for lunch: another idyllic picnic by the roadside of the service station in Hurstbourne Tarrant

Would we manage to complete the whole Wayfarer's Route this time?

Don't miss the next episode...
Old 08-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #45
duibhceK
duibhce Kaelann

Oddometer: 368
Meanwhile a few more pics from Saturday.

It started with a brief stop in the woods

But it ended with a different kind of break

Curiously enough, it had nothing to do whatsoever with this little item

At first I thought Adam was just trying to show off, drifting his DRZ into a corner on a fast tarmac road. But I soon noticed that his rear tyre had gone on a crash diet. It turned out that a low tyre pressure, combined with the lack of rim locks had ripped the valve out.

Fortunately we were well equipped. Adam whipped out his tyre levers and pulled out the old tyre and installed the spare rear that Peter was carrying.
However, Adam's cycle pump came with a cigarette lighter plug, which none of us had the matching socket for. So some modifications were in order.

Mike's Husqy provided the required juice

The cycle pump made a lot of noise, but seemed to deliver very little air.

The Moscito hand pump I carried did do the job, although slowly and with some effort. Adam was wank.. err, I mean pumping away for some time to get to around 15psi.
But we did get back to teh camp site without further problems. Well in time for
duibhceK is offline   Reply With Quote