Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Europe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2013, 06:46 AM   #46
Pumpy
Exiled Pumpernickel

Oddometer: 1,099
I see that other groups also had their exciting moments...

Ok, the question for us was: "Would we manage to complete the whole Wayfarer's Route this time?"

No, we wouldn't... Just as I pulled away from the services, my engine cut out and left me stranded in

We came up with all sorts of reasons and suggestions - and seasoned engineer Chris tried his best to get the little one going again...

... but to no avail. After 45 minutes of fruitless attempts, Sofie and Candice went back to the camp site on tarmac to fetch a van

I felt really embarrassed and sorry about spoiling everyone's day but nobody seemed to be willing to take over and simply follow the bright pink line on my SatNav...

So while the rescue team was on its way, we kept twiddling with the bike...

... eliminating error after error - but not getting to the bottom of the fault...

... until Candice and Sofie came back in Candice's impressive Sprinter van

And just before we left, Nick outed himself as another aspirant for the notorious Potato Picker Peasant Posse...

... which already consists of founding member Dr JM

Ilse

Photo courtesy of Katie em

JMo (& piglet)

and Katie em

Apologies, I digress, but I think you have good chances, Nick...

After all the hassle with my bike, it was almost 6pm when we got back to base. My wonderful personal mechanic went straight to work and found the culprit a short while later - a cable had come loose from the ignition control box...

A big THANK YOU to everyone in my group for your fantastic help, patience and support, be it mechanically, vehicular or morally - and, of course, to my one and only Possu...

Knowing that tomorrow would be another day of riding fun, dinner tasted even better

They really can cook at the Golden Swan - and look at the portions!

Surprisingly, Saturday was another well-behaved night, which saw everyone in bed early and almost sober...

What would Sunday hold in store for us?

Don't miss the next instalment...
Old 09-01-2013, 04:49 AM   #47
Blackbert
Factory Rambler

Oddometer: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possu View Post
Bert will be sorely disappointed to have missed this years Clogfest, his favourite lane from last year:

Sorry I couldn't be there to aprove the upgrade, as I was inspecting other lanes at the time.

want to save on Smugmug? use this code (VoUO8M1ukmnMY)

Blackbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:49 AM   #48
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,766
@Bert: Baas boven baas

Thanks for all the lovely write ups and pics, I didnt notice it during the day but apparantly plenty were taken!! Great!
Old 09-03-2013, 05:33 AM   #49
Pumpy
Exiled Pumpernickel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbert View Post
Sorry I couldn't be there to aprove the upgrade, as I was inspecting other lanes at the time.
Will there be a ride report?
Old 09-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #50
Blackbert
Factory Rambler

Oddometer: 1,056
Once we're done at the home forum, I will give it a go here.

want to save on Smugmug? use this code (VoUO8M1ukmnMY)

Blackbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:22 PM   #51
Possu OP
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbert View Post
Can't help noticing the absence of mud and ruts, it's more like a road IMHO.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:03 AM   #52
Pumpy
Exiled Pumpernickel

Bert's trail riding destination may be slightly more exciting than Wiltshire but I'll carry on with my own report regardless - there is still a Sunday to write about!

Due to the early night, everyone was fresh, up and about well before breakfast...

... which was served in the barn by landlady Pat - and Candice

After the bikes were de-tangled...

... we set off on my popular Historical Tour - comprising Salisbury Plain, Stonehenge, several White Horses, Avebury and Barbury Castle. May I just emphasise that my group hadn't shrunk overnight? Candice, Chris, Ilse, Nick and Sofie had not been put off by my electrical problems and were raring to go.

As soon as we entered MoD territory it started to rain - contrary to Chris's weather forecast - but the wet spell lasted only until the end of the Everleigh Lanes - Ilse

The notorious 'Lawn-mower Lane'

Nick just having safely crossed the hidden ditch

Well pleased, as you can see...

Chris Barnes and Laouen

Yes, I know, the DRZ is a handful on that trail...

... but no problem for Sofie!

Still, I bet tail-end Chris was happy that he'd brought the CRF

Souvenirs...

Shame about the recent drought, as the main attraction of this byway is the enormous puddle at the end - and that's usually both ways...

Hi Ilse!

Chris still there?

Yep, here he comes

On the Plain proper we met another group of trail riders

... who we immediately utilised to have our group photo taken

The photographer - Crashmaster on various forums - framed by Ilse and Chris

Since the second lane I had let Candice shoot ahead to have a good romp, and on the fast gravel tracks of Salisbury Plain she was soon joined by Nick. They had so much fun that we overshot the planned route by far, so I had to improvise a bit to get us back on track...

But thanks to the OS mapping on my Montana, I could actually see exactly where we were and loop us to the byway to Figheldean - there is just so much choice on the Plain!

Near Larkhill we ran into a second group of trail riders, this time one of our own lot: Mike, Peter and Muddymatt - led by Plain champion John, who took them almost to Southampton that day...

The compulsory tourist shot...

... a closer look

... and if you want to know more about our cultural heritage, use the zoom button

Someone making enquiries about their next acquisition - picture blurred to protect the identities of all parties involved...

After forcing our way across the always busy A303, we rode a few new lanes and were delighted by Hampshire County Council's thoughtful signage...

... until we saw this oddity. Right, so to enter the byway from the A36, which wouldn't be without considerable health and safety risks, you'd have to lift your bike over the stile...

... while the lane clearly leads along the main road, crosses below and ends in the picturesque village of Steeple Langford

It would be interesting to hear the story of why the byway sign was erected in this particular location. Does anyone know?

We could have joined the A36 to reach our lunch stop at Stapleford quickly, but I rather took the scenic route, meandering along the river Wylye through the Langfords (Steeple, Hanging and Little) to Wishford, Stoford and ultimately Stapleford (please note that none of those promising sounding names actually indicates a usable ford for us...).

Lunch was had at the Esso Services where we fed our steeds, devoured sandwiches and sweets, and pondered the most awkward positions to attach a number plate to your bike...

The questions were once more: would we finish our planned route that day? Would the CRF stay the course? Would there be time for an ice cream?

To be continued...
Old 09-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #53
stamp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
The Moscito hand pump I carried did do the job, although slowly and with some effort. Adam was wank.. err, I mean pumping away for some time to get to around 15psi.

that made me laugh out loud it was a good job you had that little pump

and thanks again to Peter for the tube
stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #54
Pumpy
Exiled Pumpernickel

Time flies... I'd better get a move on and finish the report before the next outing (was still hoping that Ilse, Nick or Candice would be posting their pictures and videos... ).

Right then, after lunch we picked up the Stapleford Road, a looong byway that leads from the A36 over the A303 to the B390 and includes a bumpy stretch which is perfect for jumping practice

But there was a price to pay - coming back to my bike after a wee stop I discovered that my drum brake had come off!

Ah well, brakes are for cowards! On to the Wessex Ridgeway near Etchilhampton, mmm...

... come on, ladies and gentleman, there lies so much fun ahead!

Strangely enough and despite the earlier rain, the lane was not as slippery as usual and we all made it to Devizes upright.

Just above the White Horse: "Amazing - and I didn't even see it until I stepped on its head..."

Quick check - is everyone still happy?

We followed the Wessex Ridgeway around Morgan's Hill and - after public debate and democratic vote - gave the Cherhill Down and the Witch Plantation as miss...

Next stop was Avebury, a place with a high density of weirdos...

Not that we stood out from the crowd much...

As a little thank you for their support and patience on the Saturday, I treated my group to some fine Cornish ice cream: raspberry pavlova, strawberries & clotted cream, heavenly honeycomb - to name just a few flavours...

(Photo courtesy of Candice)

Further information about Avebury can be found here; a link that Chris sent me after the weekend - thank you!

There are quite a few more or less well maintained byways around Avebury, but this one was a bit of a surprise - where has the lane gone?

Here...

I remember that this particular stretch was just graded last year, so I'm not too sure what Wiltshire Country Council thinks about the farmer's initiative.

At least, he had pinned a fluorescent arrow to a tree to point out an alternative route - which promptly claimed its victims

But heyho, a bit of adventure adds to the fun and we finally made it to the other site of the field - seeing our starting point in the distance

When we reached the tarmac in Broad Hinton, I suddenly realised that I hadn't ridden this particular route since the first Wiltshire Do in 2011 and that I was not entirely certain how to continue. And as you know, every time you have a 50% chance to get it right, there is a 90% probability that you get it wrong...

Fortunately I hit the 10% margin this time, phew, and we got straight up the Uffcott Down

Chris

Anyone up for some playtime going up and down the hill?

Nah, we'd rather carry on to...

... and enjoy the views

Look nice, please!

We then had just two more lanes to go - but one of them is over five kilometres long

Home stretch Furze Hill

Shall we get some dinner?

Mmm, I personally prefer Pat's Belly of Pork at the Golden Swan...

... and so no sheep were harmed that afternoon. We got back after a full day's riding, 108 miles and lots of fun and camaraderie - thank you all!

Turning into the campsite just before 6pm, I suddenly realised that I had completely forgotten to talk to Steve about our plans for the day - and that he might have been waiting for me for hours, erm... But the timing was perfect - the van was already packed up and I just had to get changed and load the CRF onto the trailer.

Thank you, my Great Organiser!

All we had left to do was settling the bill with Dave and Pat, saying goodbye to the ones who stayed another night and walking off into the sunset...

Did I mention that we had been really lucky with the weather - against all official and inofficial forecasts?

Thank you all for making the weekend such a pleasure - especially to our Belgian and Dutch friends who travelled all the way from the continent to Wilcot.

Here's to next year's Clogfest!

Ela

Pumpy screwed with this post 09-14-2013 at 02:30 AM Reason: Style and grammar
Pumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #55
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,766
Lovely report Ela and great photos too! Maybe I joined the wrong group
Old 10-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #56
juniorjetclub
n00b

Oddometer: 2
OK, Pumpy, you've shamed me into getting my ar$e into gear and upload the videos!

I'm afraid that I didn't have the camera angled quite right, so some of you are missing heads, but you get the idea of what we got up to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaeCjevPdOY Trying to keep up with Candice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd-qLDYviWE Bump

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUkkW1qYSMs Splash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-u0LNatZRM Ilse, Candice & Chris

juniorjetclub screwed with this post 10-12-2013 at 09:29 AM
juniorjetclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #57
juniorjetclub
n00b

Oddometer: 2
And here are the 2 decent photos I got too!

juniorjetclub screwed with this post 10-13-2013 at 10:20 AM Reason: Trying to get the photos to show rather than just a link
juniorjetclub is offline   Reply With Quote