User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
steve_k OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,062
Ride Like Warren (I wish!), and Gear Review

Ride like Warren! Hahahaha, yeah right! I didn’t have time to pull off one of Warren’s epic one day rides, such as lunch in Laughlin, but since he did a short ride yesterday (http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873107) I figured I could at least pull that off with the time available today.

Also, I since I have had my 650 for about a year now this week, I figured it needed a birthday ride to put it over 6k miles for it’s next service. So this morning I woke up about 8am and showered and got ready to ride. After a quick stop at the ATM I was on the road and heading down to the 8 to head east.

The bike ready to go:

After riding for little over an hour or so I was in the small town of Ocotillo on the north side of the 8. There was a small store/diner in town called the Ocotillo Market that looked like a good place to stop, so I parked in some shade in front of the store and went inside to order up a hotdog, fries and a Coke. It was about 10:30-11am’ish and the food made a great breakfast/early lunch.

The view from my table in front of the store:

Some good food:

Me getting ready to head north on the S2 to the 78:

I checked with a couple of the locals on where the closest gas stations were and found out I would have to head either east or west 15 miles just to fill up and ride back to Ocotillo to head north on the S2. Once I heard that I checked my GPS and saw that Julian, Santa Ysabel, and Borrego Springs were my other options and I knew I could still go about another 75 miles before my reserve light would kick on, so I hit the road.

A quick stop by the wind farm that has been a bit controversial with the off-road community:

The next stop was an overlook at the Carrizo Badlands:

A bit farther down the road was the Aqua Caliente Airstrip:

And a little bit farther down I pulled over to put an extra layer on since I decided to go through Julian and remembered the weather report said it would be in the low 60’s. Well, I think the report was wrong, but the extra layer didn’t hurt. And that’s about it for pics of the ride.

While I’m here.. How about a quick review of the bike and some of the gear I have recently picked up?

The bike: 1 year old, 6k miles. Love it! Getting anywhere from high 50’s to low 70’s mpg depending on the type of riding I’m doing. Brakes work great, handles nice for what I do, and has been a very reliable bike. Although I think it does have a hot start issue once in a while and I will have that checked on the 6k service in the next few weeks.

BMW Rally 3 suit: I tried on the jacket back in December just to see how it felt and it was probably one of the most comfortable jackets I have ever tried on and figured it would be good with the Summer 3 pants that I had already bought a few months earlier. A couple weeks later I decided to get the pants too since the CA sales tax was going up soon. The gear fits good, except I was between sizes on the pants and went with the larger size since the smaller onse were not comfortable while sitting on the bike. I had to add some suspenders to the pants since they are a little loose, but all is good. The armor for the suit is much better than what I have had in my previous gear, covers more area, and still comfortable. Probably the only downfall to this suit is the waterproofing is in the liners, but I don’t picture that being much of a problem since most of my riding is desert areas.

Shoei Neotec helmet with Sena Bluetooth: The helmet is about 8 months old now and I really like it. This is Shoei’s first helmet with a built in sun shade. It’s nice not really needing to carry an extra shield when out on long rides where you might need to switch to a clear or smoked one. The Sena is a recent purchase and I am still getting use to it, but so far so good. So far the only confusion is in the operation of the jog dial and phone button depending if I am using my Iphone 4 only, or Iphone 4 with a Bluetooth dongle on my Garmin Zumo 450. Other than that, I think it’s a nice system I will enjoy once I get the hang of it. I have not used it for making calls yet, but nice for music and GPS info.

And another recent purchase, a Pelican 1520 case and mounting system from Caribou Luggage: About all I have to say about this is its just good stuff! The mounting hardware is nice and solid and everything fit great. My tire pump, tool kit, bike cover, hat, beanie , and a few bottles of water fit just fine for today’s ride, and during the work week my cover and whatever goes in there.

steve_k screwed with this post 03-24-2013 at 06:34 PM
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
Warren
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Awesome Steve!

Eyeballing the same luggage set for my KLR - Nice system...

We'll ride in a few weeks!

-- Click Here For My Free KLR 650 Valve Adjustment Shim Calculator --
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,910
Great RR!

Nice RR Steve...darn missed riding today.

Thanks for reminding me what I missed in So-cal today.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,725
More great inspiration to get out to our desert's this week. I'm looking to do a quick overnighter this Wed & Thur. I've been yearning for the Joshua Tree, Salton Sea & Anza Borrego area. Between your report and Warren's, that's what i'll do.

That is a very nice lookin ride you got there. Don't I remember seeing some of your older posts on a scoot? Still got it?
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
steve_k OP
Beastly Adventurer

You could do one heck of a ride this week. You could easily do what I did today and still toss in in Salton Sea and Borrego Springs too. If you don't want to camp I highly recommend The Stanlunds in Borrego Springs. It's an older place, but well kept and quiet. For dining in town, trying Pablito's or Kendal's.

I still have the Vespa GTS. It doesn't see much use now, but I break it out every couple of months for a ride around town to keep it going and put fresh gas in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samthg View Post
More great inspiration to get out to our desert's this week. I'm looking to do a quick overnighter this Wed & Thur. I've been yearning for the Joshua Tree, Salton Sea & Anza Borrego area. Between your report and Warren's, that's what i'll do.

That is a very nice lookin ride you got there. Don't I remember seeing some of your older posts on a scoot? Still got it?
Old 03-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #6
steve_k OP
Beastly Adventurer

It was a damn good day of riding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy View Post
Nice RR Steve...darn missed riding today.

Thanks for reminding me what I missed in So-cal today.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:45 PM   #7
Ice G
Brand n00b

Oddometer: 5
Looks like we just missed you. Myself and a couple of others rode pinyon trail to superstition and back. You must have gone right by us on S2. Need to get that Tdub and join us next time!

Thanks for the report, it was a great day to ride.
Ice G is offline   Reply With Quote