User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2013, 11:22 PM   #1
Fierdon OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
1997 bmw f650?

I've been considering getting rid of my 2002 Kawasaki Mean Streak for an adventure motorcycle. I initially wanted a KLR but they were too underpowered.

I came across a 1997 BMW F650 with 21k miles that I offered to trade my bike for. Bike has been well maintained, but the owner never did any valve clearance checks and he wasn't sure if the previous owner did too.

My question is: should I be worried about that or should the bike be good? I know they require a check every 6k miles, but I've known some bikes to be able to go forever and still stay in spec. I just want to make sure I won't be in for a possible rebuild if I trade.

Any info is appreciated, thanks!

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk
Fierdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
Fierdon OP
Adventurer

Also, I'm 6'1" and about 260lbs. Will the bike be sufficient enough to travel interstate speeds of 70-80mph? Most of my normal driving is on the interstate.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,196
Did you hear it run? See if you the owner will let you check the valves, shouldn't be hard. If the top end is quiet I'd get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #4
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierdon View Post
Also, I'm 6'1" and about 260lbs. Will the bike be sufficient enough to travel interstate speeds of 70-80mph? Most of my normal driving is on the interstate.

If you really want to pound all day long on the freeway, you should probably be looking for an F650GS/F800GS (twin cylinders) 2009+.

While the F/G650s (singles) are capable of high freeway speeds, it will be buzzy and it's really not the niche for that bike.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #5
Fierdon OP
Adventurer

The guy lives near eight hours away from me, but agreed to ride it and meet me halfway. He said it was running fine and is his daily driver, but I'll still run it and listen before I swap.

As far as the newer twins, I can't afford those. He was wanting $2800 for his but agreed to trade for mine and give me $300 to make up value difference. I was told the KLR wouldn't be great at 70mph for my size so I figured the F650, having more horsepower, would do well enough.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:02 AM   #6
New englander
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Laugh

Alright so I may be able to help. I've got a 97 F650, and I could not be happier with the bike, 36,000+ miles and basically no problems outside of the usual replacement of the steering head bearings and the waterpump has been know to go out around 30,000, but that's an easy fix. As for the valves, it's not an easy procedure to check them, that being said many of us who have checked them have found that they are within tolerance, even with 36,000 miles on it, so it shouldn't be too much of a concern. Now I disagree with what previous people have said about it's highway capabilities. The f650 classic will cruise at 80 all day long, sitting at around the 5,000 rpm mark, which is the peak power band for this bike and I don't find it buzzy at all. Compared to the klr, the funduro is a dream on the highway and much more comfortable. It sounds like you're getting a great deal on the bike. You should go over to f650.com, in the faqs section you will find anything to want to know about the bike.
New englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #7
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,370
I have one and a KLR. the BMW is smoother & more sophisticated and will haul you no problem. my highly worked over KLR will do a real 70-75 all day too, no problem and has passing power. the klr is better off road but is definitely more raw. the BMW is ready to do what it does as is. I am not quite as big as you but close
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #8
Meriden
Yea whatever

Oddometer: 630
I had a 97 with about 30K on the clock. If it was just me, I'd still have it and wouldn't be afraid to take it on any trip. It was a test to see if the wife wanted to ride and together (310 pounds) that 70 to 85mph passing power just wasn't what I wanted. Riding single it was just fine.

Worship your master as you wish, but never name him Freedom.
Meriden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #9
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,196
I don't know if it is just me, but I do ALL the required maintenance and start back over fresh as if it was new. (all the maintenance you can reasonably do without tearing the engine down) The guy I bought the XL from gave me the receipt from a previous rebuild and a note book with what he did to it and at what mileage. Nice to know it was all done, but I threw that shit notebook in the trash and redid everything even if it wasn't required yet or already done by the PO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #10
Fierdon OP
Adventurer

Should be making the deal tomorrow. Keep getting "cold feet" because I'll be going from quite a nice sized and powerful cruiser to a small bike with just enough power to move me at highway speeds. Ugh.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #11
Meriden
Yea whatever

Oddometer: 630
I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the bike. It's not the fastest out there and it's not the heaviest either. Its not up to lots of technical single track, but sixty five miles of gravel is fun afternoon of riding. Frankly it's a good standard motorcycle, comfortable over a wide range of riding conditions. The Funduro is not everyone's cup of tea, but I wish I still had mine... and I have six other bikes, three of those are 650s.

Worship your master as you wish, but never name him Freedom.
Meriden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #12
Fierdon OP
Adventurer

I really like how it looks. Most of the bikes that I like the look of are not very off-road friendly, like the Versys. I tried liking the VStrom, but I just don't like the fairing look. The BMW looks great, I don't care for the larger CC ones with the horizontally opposed engine. I've also always preferred the look of 90s sport bikes, which is sort of what the BMW reminds me of. I think the only thing I'd miss is the raw power my Meanie has. I've tried finding performance parts for the F650ST, but I guess the only thing they really make for them is jet kits and exhaust. Which the few things I have found for it, like exhaust, was way cheaper by almost half of what I would pay for something on the Meanie.

Just hoping I'm not too big for the bike, I'm a stocky guy and quite tall. Don't want to look like a gorilla trying to ride a football..

Another thing I'm worried about is my daily commute to work requires me to go over a somewhat steep bridge at interstate speeds of 60-70mph.. I don't want it running out of oomph trying to get my 260lb toosh up it.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #13
brewer90
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
It will pull you up that no problem at those speeds. You won't be able to pull of effortless passes once speeds get above 70-75 mph but overall it is a great bike. I know of several guys who have well over 100,000 miles on their bike with no engine work.

Check out the Chain Gang at f650.com for tons of info and DIYs.
brewer90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #14
Fierdon OP
Adventurer

Sounds good. I've checked out that site. Tons of good info it seems. It also doesn't look like there's much of anything in the way of aftermarket performance aside from jet kits and exhaust. Are there any good power mods like came and whatnot?

I think I'm more leaning towards the F650. The more I think of it the more I realize I don't really go over 70-80mph on my current bike because the wind starts getting too annoying, and it scares the hell out of me at times too.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #15
patobravo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
I'm 6'4" and when I got my '97 I was about 265 lbs, with bar risers and an custom seat I find the bike incredibly comfortable and riding 12+ hour days at 70-80 mph is no issue. I picked another one up for my wife, sometimes the kids let her actually ride it. I look but so far I haven't seen a bike I'd prefer to own. Two carbs, one cylinder, no firmware upgrades possible 'cuz there no ECU- the perfect bike!

patobravo screwed with this post 11-05-2013 at 07:18 AM
patobravo is offline   Reply With Quote