User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #1
matyreb OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 9
help in baja with a oil burning drz

Hey guys I'm half way down Baja. My Dz with 9k on it is loosing a half quart of oil a day. Not leaking and seems to blow black smoke on start up. Should I keep adding oil and continue or cut my loses on the dream of cabo and head back to San Diego?
matyreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
Gripsteruser
Service Monkey

Oddometer: 737
Black smoke is more typical of a too-rich mixture. Oil burns more bluish.

Half a quart usage per day doesn't give as much information as half a quart in X miles while riding
-faster-hotter-WFO-slower-cooler-easy (pick one).

How does the spark plug look? (got clean spares?)

So long as you don't run out of oil (CHECK FREQUENTLY) and the rate of use doesn't change it might not be much of a problem.

Could be as simple as the change in conditions (hotter/higher RPM/longer run) from what you normally do) raised oil consumption.
Gripsteruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 4,041
Half quart per day, no leaks, and no additional noise from the motor? Are your sure you aren't blowing it out the vent? You could have a stuck ring and it's blowing by. All of the the auto parts stores sell Bardahl oil treatment additives you could add a pint and see if it helps. I would also buy a couple of extra quarts of oil while you are at it. As said, as long as you don't run out of oil, you are good to go. You should see about getting extra spark plugs if they start fouling. Don't rule out the marine shops when looking for plugs there could be a outboard motor that uses something close enough to use. Guerrero Negro, Santa Rosealia, and Loretto all are great town for supplies. La Paz has multiple motorcycle dealers.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:21 AM   #4
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 10,262
1/2 qt with no leaks?

Check the spark plug. I say turn back.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by matyreb View Post
Hey guys I'm half way down Baja. My Dz with 9k on it is loosing a half quart of oil a day. Not leaking and seems to blow black smoke on start up. Should I keep adding oil and continue or cut my loses on the dream of cabo and head back to San Diego?
obligatory question: are you sure you are checking the level correctly?

i'd probably keep going myself, as long as you haven't noticed any loss of power or strange noises.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #6
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,487
Stick your finger in the pipe and see if it is oily. My friend has a bike that burns oil but for a little on start up doesn't even smoke. Sure smells like burned oil when I follow him and the pipes are oily. In any case it has been like that for years and still runs fine.

And yes check the plug, it may not have the proper heat rating for the circumstances. Old trick on the junkers was to go hotter plugs, helps burn the extra fouling from the oil getting through. Fouling that turns to carbon and in the worst case scenario can pack up the oil rings and then anything will burn oil.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
matyreb OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 9
I would say half quart per 125 miles. I definitely think its worse at highway speeds. The exhaust pipe is black and oily. I'm going to cut my loses because Ricardo from rice and beans in San Ignacio is going north to ensenata on Saturday so he is taking my bike. Thanks for the replys
matyreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:24 PM   #8
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by matyreb View Post
I would say half quart per 125 miles. I definitely think its worse at highway speeds. The exhaust pipe is black and oily. I'm going to cut my loses because Ricardo from rice and beans in San Ignacio is going north to ensenata on Saturday so he is taking my bike. Thanks for the replys
The black smoke tells us too much fuel, which may or may not have caused a washed down top end. Me? EPIC journey, once in a lifetime.. fill the bitch and ride on! They'll go a looooooong way pumpin oil. Check the air filter for blockage (heavy dust conditions) replace/clean as appropriate. Carry a spare quart in case it gets worse or the gas station is out. 40 years mechanic experience.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #9
KustomizingKid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
My KLR burned about that much all summer long... fill it up and ride.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #10
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,116
I had my old 1987 xr600r in baja a few years back and it was almost a quart low in BofLA.I bought some straight 40w diesel oil at a pemex station and didnt use any oil the rest of the trip.That semi-synth castrol motorcycle oil seems to get burned off faster than diesel oil.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #11
concours
WFO for 41 years

I just thought about a nice iPhone video of you revving the engine, showing exhaust outlet. It would help us.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #12
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 4,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
I just thought about a nice iPhone video of you revving the engine, showing exhaust outlet. It would help us.
I thought he had made up his mind to put in a truck and haul it back to Ensenada?
Old 11-23-2013, 04:15 AM   #13
concours
WFO for 41 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
I thought he had made up his mind to put in a truck and haul it back to Ensenada?
Yup, he had posted that, but still trying to sway him while waits
Old 11-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #14
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,540
no offense, but some people can't tell black smoke from gray, and if he's dumping in oil like that, he has a problem. my guess is bad gas = detonation = broken piston land = oil sucker. either that or a bad air filter & some intake dirt wearing the hole oversize
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote