Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 07:22 AM   #16
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shesaid View Post
The DR650, you shift to 1st, you let off the clutch even a smidge and you're traveling fast enough that you'd better get your feet up...seriously, I don't see myself ever being comfortable enough with the 650 to get offroad
YES! I am 6' 4" tall, I have been riding motorcycles for over 40 years, have raced in half a dozen motocrosses, have ridden to Alaska and Mexico, and I don't see myself ever being comfortable enough with the DR650 to ride it offroad either! The big Suzuki is too tall, has too high a first gear, too little flywheel, and too much power for beginners. It is a white-knuckle terror off-road, and you are just another in a long line of victims. Unlike many who have gone before you, your experience hasn't completely put you off motorcycles.

Buy the TW200 and stay off the freeway and have a blast.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:24 AM   #17
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by GapRunr View Post
Another option is the harder to find KLR250 Super Sherpa.

6 speeds, stainless exhaust, electric start and a decent size gas tank. These are rare to find. When one comes up for sale it usually sells right away.

I've got a TW200. It will run 60 all day. It will 70 all day on flat ground with no wind, but it will be wound out all the way.

If you're going to stay on back roads and other sub 55mph places, the DR200 and TW200 will both work well. I prefer the fat tires on the TW200 myself. Fatter tires slow down steering response and on such short bikes as the DR200 and TW200 that's a good thing in my opinion. And then there is the fun factor..... I've got an R1200GS ADV and an R80 g/s. They are both great bikes and are terrific to ride, but the TW is just plane more fun to ride. I'm a little over 6 feet and 225 pounds and I still giggle like a school girl when I rode the T-Dub.

A couple of the guys on the TW forum did a Saddle Sore 1000 Iron Butt on them. 1,000 miles in 24 hours or less.

We're having a TW200 Rally in Townsend, TN the May 31st weekend. TurtlePalooza 2013! Come on by!

Not meaning to nit pick but the Super Sherpa is a KL250. The KLR250 is a taller, more dirt oriented and heavier bike. I've owned both and agree that the Super Sherpa fits the mission the OP has defined.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #18
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by montesa_vr View Post
YES! I am 6' 4" tall, I have been riding motorcycles for over 40 years, have raced in half a dozen motocrosses, have ridden to Alaska and Mexico, and I don't see myself ever being comfortable enough with the DR650 to ride it offroad either! The big Suzuki is too tall, has too high a first gear, too little flywheel, and too much power for beginners. It is a white-knuckle terror off-road.

What bikes are you riding offroad that make a DR650SE seem tall?

Try a WR250R, KLX250S, DR-Z400S, KLR650, or just about any KTM or Husky over 200cc. Some of them are 36" or more at the seat!

Try gearing down and running aired-down knobbies. It makes a big difference from stock. I'd agree that a 650 isn't an ideal offroad bike for not-large/strong/sturdy beginners though.

Kommando screwed with this post 03-29-2013 at 10:28 PM
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #19
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post

What bikes are you riding offroad that make a DR650SE seem tall?

Try gearing down and running aired-down knobbies. It makes a big difference from stock. I'd agree that a 650 isn't an ideal offroad bike for not-large/strong/sturdy beginners though.
Yes, all long-travel bikes are tall, and the Suzuki is low compared to some others. But the Suzuki is 368 pounds of tall, and combined with the other characteristics I described, it's a trap for beginners. And I would put the XR650L and KLR650 in the same camp. I've ridden a DR with lowered gearing, and it was no longer comfortable at 70 mph, let alone 80.

The DR650 is simple, durable, reliable -- I might recommend one as a round the world ride. But people buy a 650 dual sport and expect to enjoy riding everything from freeway to single-track and I think that doesn't work out for most of them.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:11 AM   #20
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
I'll have to go along with LarryBoy et al. I presently have a TW200,
a TLR200 and a '79KLX250. I traded off a '87 XL250R for the TW.
Weight, height and handling are what we all are striving for, so
the KLX and TLR get the most attention on the back 40. The XL
handled well and went like scat, but the dual carb rebuilds because
of bad fuel made me trade to the TW. I really like the ebutton(especially
on hillsides) but at close to 300 lbs I find it heavy going slow, and those
big gyroscopes they call tires force you into really pushing the TW through
the bends on-road. Find someone with a TW and ride it before you buy,
I'm presently looking at a plated CRF230 for my next ride.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:37 AM   #21
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
Before you buy anymore bikes, throw a leg over a DRZ400SM. You should be able to find a used one you can go and sit on. Or a WR250X, the supermoto version of the wr250r. Kawi made one aswell.

Even with pure street tires they (supermotos) are very capable in the dirt. The lower seat height that the 17" wheels give you is a definite plus. Of course 50/50 tires can be had in 17's and will let you deal with a little mud here and there and still have heaps more traction on pavement than skinny knobbies.

Oh, I think you should get the DR200 if you are truly only looking at those two.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #22
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle View Post
Even with pure street tires they (supermotos) are very capable in the dirt. The lower seat height that the 17" wheels give you is a definite plus. Of course 50/50 tires can be had in 17's and will let you deal with a little mud here and there and still have heaps more traction on pavement than skinny knobbies.
this information is not accurate, I remembered how these two bikes felt and they were taller than the DR650, so I went to read the info at yamaha and suzuki and they are both taller, well the suzuki dr650 is listed with a 34.8 seat height, the supermoto suzuki list at 35.00 the yamaha is no longer being made but it was taller than the KLR and that lists at 35 also.

the good thing about the dr650 is that it can be lower easily 1-2? inches

Damasovi
Old 03-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #23
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,254
Agree with Gaprunr.

TW200's will do 60mph all day long and your still not even close to it's engineered "red line". Folks who cpmplain about the fat tires on pavement have apparently not riden one!.....the TW is quite nimble,especially in the twisties!.For your Cali. 70-80 mph roads....I wouldn't use any 250's.....to light of a bike IMO....will get you blown around easily by wind etc..
BUT, that said,it you are doing the back road deal,either the DR 200 or The TW200 will serve you well.....Good luck. And if you do decide on a TW200 don't let folks fool you,the TW's tires are just as easily purchased as any other bike!.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #24
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by prsdrat View Post
I'll have to go along with LarryBoy et al. I presently have a TW200,
a TLR200 and a '79KLX250. I traded off a '87 XL250R for the TW.
Weight, height and handling are what we all are striving for, so
the KLX and TLR get the most attention on the back 40. The XL
handled well and went like scat, but the dual carb rebuilds because
of bad fuel made me trade to the TW. I really like the ebutton(especially
on hillsides) but at close to 300 lbs I find it heavy going slow, and those
big gyroscopes they call tires force you into really pushing the TW through
the bends on-road. Find someone with a TW and ride it before you buy,
I'm presently looking at a plated CRF230 for my next ride.

HUH?.......perhaps air the tires correctly.......the TW excels in the twisties!.Another advantage of the TW......you can order a kick-start "kit" from Bay Area Yamaha in Oregon....battery dies,not an issue!.
The other mentioned 200's / 250's are good machines as well.......just look them all over carefully with consideration on YOUR needs / wants.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #25
Shesaid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Thanks for all the help, info, and suggestions.

We chose the DR650's because they were the only bikes in that category that I had any hope of sitting on and still touching the ground. And, with the option of a lower seat height right out of the box on the 2012s, I was able to reasonably put both feet on the ground. Since then I have replaced the seat and dropped another inch and then we added a lowering link. We're thinking we'll adjust the link and lower it a tad bit more. I don't want to get rid of the DR650, I do love it. But I'm definitely not ready for it yet.

So-- many of the suggestions offered up are either way too high for me, or not even legal in CA. (yay california)

And street legal is a must.
Shesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #26
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shesaid View Post
Thanks for all the help, info, and suggestions.

We chose the DR650's because they were the only bikes in that category that I had any hope of sitting on and still touching the ground. And, with the option of a lower seat height right out of the box on the 2012s, I was able to reasonably put both feet on the ground. Since then I have replaced the seat and dropped another inch and then we added a lowering link. We're thinking we'll adjust the link and lower it a tad bit more. I don't want to get rid of the DR650, I do love it. But I'm definitely not ready for it yet.

So-- many of the suggestions offered up are either way too high for me, or not even legal in CA. (yay california)

And street legal is a must.
The DR can certainly be made plenty low for someone with your inseam, as you already surmised, but that doesn't seem to be your issue. The DR is definitely heavy to hold up when it starts going over, regardless of height, especially with less-than-ideal footing. The gearing can be addressed, and you'll learn to work the friction zone of the clutch in a BRC or dirtbike course. (I can't emphasize taking a course enough.) The stock DR suspension is not great though. It can certainly use some aftermarket/swap voodoo to work better. You won't be able to safely take advantage of a decent suspension until skills are developed though.

A much lighter bike with a lower 1st gear and with enough gearspread and grunt to at least run from one ramp to another on the interstate seems like it would be desirable for your present use. Are the KL250 Super Sherpa and the CRF230L street-legal in CA? If not, you may be able to tag them anyway, if they have more than 7500 miles and are coming in from another state. Many of the other 250s and larger are tall. Some are REALLY tall, and 300lb or more curb weight.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:54 PM   #27
Shesaid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Thanks all for help/input/opinions and general BSing.

There are a few suggestions that I'd be interested in (Super Sherpa) if I could have one in CA. (this little guy says "poser" by him, but I think he looks like he's throwing a tantrum.)

After lots of research, asking around, sitting and jumping on bikes and budgeting... I have it on good authority that there's going to be a 2013 TW in my Easter basket.

It feels good-- how can it seem SO much smaller than the DR650 when the specs say it's only a few inches different in length/width/height? Gotta be the lower displacement I guess.

It'll need a little softer suspension to make me feel feel truly comfy with the seat height-- but all the guys who outweigh me by 25-50 pounds and are 6 inches taller than me assure me that I don't need to monkey with anything, just put 100 miles on it. So we'll see: the last time I took someone else's "advice" on how to get started with riding, I fell down and lost 2 months of work. So we'll just see. But the TW sure does fit me much better out of the box than the DR did... Not that I'm giving up on the DR! Gonna drop it a little lower and cut my teeth on the smaller/slower bike and work my way back up.
Shesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #28
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 575
I would go TW or Super sherpa but the XT isnt out of the picture either

Im bias my super sherpa is happy around the 60 mph mark and reliable enuff to ride it any where . My friend has a TW and he says my sherpa feels less buzzy on the highway .

Its prefect for a newb putting around checking stuff out

Yeah the WR250R is a hot rod of the 250 , and the Honda 250 is a good deal and the KLX would be fun but I the sherpa is like a trusty old car ,it might not turn heads but it just feels right to ride.

Hawk62cj5 screwed with this post 03-28-2013 at 08:07 PM
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:21 AM   #29
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,635
Shesaid,

It'll be a different world on a smaller bike, so get ready to enjoy life! I'd suggest you spend some time getting used to the notion that you can completely handle this bike rather than the bike handling you. Straddle the bike with your feet on the ground letting the weight tip from side to side a bit so you can get used to the feel of it. Get off the bike and stand beside it and tip it toward you; with your hands on the bars and the seat/tank against your hip you can tip it way over and hold it if you need to. Push it all around the parking lot as if it were an over-size bicycle. Sometimes pushing is easier with left hand on the bars and right hand on the back of the seat or on the grab rail, especially if you need to push backward. I think practicing a few of these things will help you get your confidence back and let you begin to feel you are back in control. These are some things that have helped me over the years. Good luck and keep us posted!

Sarah
Old 03-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #30
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,527
My wife has a little TW200 and she really loves it (although she seems to crash it an awful lot). They are extremely tough little bikes.

The first thing you will likely notice is the super low gearing. The bike will just start rolling when it will be time to shift to second gear. Dropping the rear sprocket from a 50 tooth down to a 45 will make the bike much more street friendly, without hampering the dirt worthiness (unless you ride only mountainous goat trails).

Good luck!
Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote